Thread: Cost of petrol

10+ Year Old Account

Cost of petrol

I'm currently taking my friend to the gym every Sunday and Monday, we both go to do our workout. I'm wondering how much is a fair amount to ask him to give me as petrol money. Taking away the distance I would travel going on my own, it comes to an extra 21ish miles What would be a fair amount to ask for? I have a 2005 Corsa SXI with a 1.2 engine.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    I'm currently taking my friend to the gym every Sunday and Monday, we both go to do our workout. I'm wondering how much is a fair amount to ask him to give me as petrol money. Taking away the distance I would travel going on my own, it comes to an extra 21ish miles What would be a fair amount to ask for? I have a 2005 Corsa SXI with a 1.2 engine.
    Asking friends for gas money is being pretty cheap especially after you're already driving him. How much did he offer you?

Deleted
    Depends on how you drive and where you drive. If you're on a motorway I guess like £7 a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Asking friends for gas money is being pretty cheap especially after you're already driving him. How much did he offer you?
    You don't live in a country were it is roughly twice as expensive as yours.

Work pays a standard of... like 30 cents per mile?, so if you want to be nice, ask half of that. 21 miles is 3 dollars each trip?
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    No, he's always given me petrol money (it's also common in the UK). But recently he moved house to a bit further away so we're trying to figure out an amount.

Deleted
    21 miles at 129.5p (my local price anyway) would be around £4 for a medium sized car at an average MPG. Possibly a bit less for you.

Until you do the fuel cost calculations based on actual data from the trip in question it would not be fair to ask anything of him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Work pays a standard of... like 30 cents per mile?, so if you want to be nice, ask half of that. 21 miles is 3 dollars each trip?
    You're in the US remember.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    You're in the US remember.
    Ah, that's true. I would say, find what the standard for your country is as far as mileage reimbursement, and then calculate how much it would cost.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/travel.htm

That says about 40p. Divide that by 2 since you're being nice to your friend. 20p per mile. If you go 21 miles, 4£ 20p
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The amount extra he'll have to pay you, it'll be cheaper for him to get the bus.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

Deleted
    Just ask for a fiver and have done with it, it annoys me when people try to fuss around a few pennies, especially between friends.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Just ask for a fiver and have done with it, it annoys me when people try to fuss around a few pennies, especially between friends.
    Same. I'd personally consider the debt paid just for someone to keep me honest with my workout at the gym. But that's just me.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

If it's on a regular basis then asking for some gas money every now and then is not being cheap. Discussing amount of miles, gas prices etc is being cheap.
    Patch 1.12, and not one step further!