Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It's my time to rise and shine. 7 Years on this website talking about stuff I know nothing about, but today is different, today I rise and shine.

Unless you buy http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BGR82...dp/B003SIN0BC/ you're better off sticking with a pan. Cast iron is sexy and is the new shit on the interweb but unless your burner at home has insane BTUs and packs a lot of heat, you're better off with a good set of heavy'ish non stick pan like http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Unis...dp/B004RIY4J4/ - Just make sure you don't burn shit, keep your pan around 175° celsius for delicate bread like thin sliced soft breads, or if you have garlic bread with chunks of garlic in it that could burn if you go higher. You can go up to 230°F for big slice of french bread and stuff like that, the goal is to get a decent heat/sear on the bread to actually get the nice toasted flavor.

Now butter. You always butter the bread, not the pan, mostly because you want the tasty milk solids suspended in the butter to caramelize on your bread and be delicious. Stick to lower heat (175°C or so) if you butter your bread because it's pretty easy to go past the smoke, and because the goal with butter is more to caramelize it slowly'ish than to sear. However, if you keep the heat high enough you can actually skip the butter altogether on the bread and still have something really good, if you're into the healthy side of things.

Any cheese works, grating them is better because it lets thing melt a LOT easier. Don't overheat some of the hard cheese like gruyere or manchego because they will always have hard time melting and actually will separate into a weird greasy mess if you overheat them. Good cheese are obviously cheddar and all the go-to-basic stuff, if you want to go fancy anything goat based (goat gouda, etc) will tend to be pretty amazing.

You can add other stuff and still called it a grilled cheese, it's an american thing, but getting butt hurt over it means you have way too much free time and you should be using it to be making more grilled cheese. Technically a grilled ham and cheese starts to enter the realm of croque monsieur and my french ass doesn't get butthurt about it and still calls it a grilled cheese.

Last thing, make sure you add some acidity to that to cut all the fat/richness from the cheese. Tomato is the go to topping but I'm not a huge fan, you can have pretty decent results with anything balsamic vinegar based, and if you're not into acid you can get really good and creamy result by mashing an avocado with just salt/pepper/tiny bit of garlic and using it as a spread inside the sandwich after grilling. Just keep the cheese on one side, have random meat as a barrier, and you have a non sticky cheese free side that can get extra toppings after cooking (baby spinach, avocado, etc)

That's about it. I'm glad this website is finally talking about the things that matter in life.

I thought a thread redirected me to a news post for a moment.

I like to butter in a frying pan my bread, and then toast the bread in a frying pan. This makes some toasted buttery goodness, and then I put cheese on one of the pieces of bread. If you have a lid, you can cover over the top of it to melt it, and then put the other piece of toast on when it's melty. There's not much better grilled cheese than the kind you make yourself!
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2014-04-03 at 03:52 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The only single use item you should have in the kitchen is the fire extinguisher. Learn to watch and flip your sandwich and a pan is all you will ever need.
    Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. -Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
    "Not everything on the internet is true." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Good is the enemy of great.

Where's the Unsub from MMOC button?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Sathir, Dreadlord of Greenmist
    AKA Bigokk from FFXI

Read My Lips: No New Content -Mike Morhaime, 2016 US Presidential Candidate
    WWCGD (What Would Ghostcrawler Do)? Unsub.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post

This is the best one I have ever found.

Epic grilled cheese post from Boubouille; I'll have to try out some of your suggestions. I usually don't use shredded/grated cheese for sandwiches because in my experience it's kind of messy and a lot of it ends up getting loose and being wasted in the pan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Come to Detroit for the beer and crumbling architecture.

Stay in Detroit because someone stole your passport.

I have not seen a post from Boubouille since the year I joined this site. With that, I believe I should buy a lottery ticket today.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BGR82...dp/B003SIN0BC/ looks pretty bad ass. I wish I had the money to throw at one at the moment, but I think I know what I'm getting for Christmas now.
    WoW is no longer an MMORPG. It is now a MMOAAG (Massively Multiplayer Online Action Adventure Game)

Boubouille gettin' all KINDS a culinary in this bitch.

I butter the bread lightly, small amount of evoo in the pan. Layer shredded motz or cheddar in the middle.

If you want to be fancy, sprinkle bacon bits on/in the sandwich.

BUT DON'T USE A GRILLED CHEESE MAKER!
    “It is either easy or impossible.” - Salvador Dali

WoW characters:
    Greed [Priest] -
    Jax [Paladin] -
    Vega [Rogue]

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Epic grilled cheese post from Boubouille; I'll have to try out some of your suggestions. I usually don't use shredded/grated cheese for sandwiches because in my experience it's kind of messy and a lot of it ends up getting loose and being wasted in the pan.
    I'll tell you what my mom told me when I turned 2 or 3 year old: learn to aim.

A tiny bit of stuff falling down the pan and getting crunchy and delicious is the best thing in the world, why would you try to push happiness away from your daily life?

Also, www.grilledcheesesocial.com (read the older posts, it gets really weird in the newer ones)

Quote Originally Posted by DarthMetatron View Post
    Where's the Unsub from MMOC button?
    If you mean from threads, go to your user profile, and it shows all your threads you're subscribed to. You can unsubscribe there. Grilled Cheese Hater Boi.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    I'll tell you what my mom told me when I turned 2 or 3 year old: learn to aim.

A tiny bit of stuff falling down the pan and getting crunchy and delicious is the best thing in the world, why would you try to push happiness away from your daily life?

Also, www.grilledcheesesocial.com (read the older posts, it gets really weird in the newer ones)
    I will definitely check that place out. And I haven't made one with grated cheese before, it's never crossed my mind! Good idea, master!

And yeah.. that is definitely weird... the newest one called "The Morning Wood" is pretty odd.
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2014-04-03 at 04:05 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The key to best grilled cheese is good bread, good cheese and real butter! Cheddar for the all American version, or Monterey/Pepper Jack for a spicy kick!

Melt butter in microwave, brush outside of sandwich with butter and place on a preheated (medium high) frying pan. Cook until golden brown and crispy on the edges.

Here is my favorite sammich! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBoFpzrQokI
    "If you ever saw a Black Rose, would you admire it for it's beauty or kill it because it was different?"

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    ... want it to get weirder ?
    --
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Toy Train Set has been temporarily disabled.

Mechagnome
    Pepper Jack in a grilled cheese is the most glorious thing in the world, I've never tried the Balsamic before, but that definitely sounds worth a shot.
    so Warlords of Draenor is /'woɹː.loɹːdz ʌv 'ɖɹæːn.oɹː/.
    I've always loved how in an attempt to make pronunciation through text easier to understand people have created a seemingly alien cypher for which few people without a degree related to language would ever been able to understand.

Bread, cheese, butter, frying pan. George Foreman grill if you're feeling super lazy.

I use a griddle to make mine.

And my mom can make the best grilled cheese.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by ShuaVerde View Post
    I just use a frying pan myself. I don't like owning "unitaskers" for the kitchen. They take up too much space and get used too little.

That said, a Forman Grill is a really good option, because you can use it for grilled sandwiches, steak, veggies, and just about anything you want to cook.
    I love my Foreman Grill. Paninis, hamburgers, hotdogs, anything.

But I think even now I'd still just using a frying pan for a grilled cheese. Butter the outer sides of the bread, plop the sandwich on the pan (spray it with Pam if its not a non-stick pan first!) and smush it a bit with a spatula. Flip it over and repeat until cheese is properly melted and both sides are a golden brown.

If a video game developer removed tumors from players, they'd whine about nerfing their loss in weight and access to radiation powers. -Cracked.com

OMG Boub, that sounds delicious. x.x

My deviantART

THE NUMBERS MEAN SOMETHING someone figure it out its code for WoD beta start 8D