Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    ^^^^ /10char
    Normal is the name for the mental disorder present in the majority of humanity.
    Xinjun

Deleted
    Gentlemen, next time you make a grilled cheese, sprinkle a little ground cumin onto it - I promise you won't be disappointed with the result.

This is better then shredded to be honest. Very thin slices off of a block of cheese (though if you chafe it off like on the picture, people will hate you ).

Regarding the grillmachine, I think those simple sandwich grills all are basically a metal plate with a heating element on both sides. the cheaper the better I would say.
    Maybe choose a panini press style versus one with hinges. Don't think it changes the taste much. Ingredients are more important .

10+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say. I agree with Grilled Cheese & anything else, is no longer a grilled cheese.

Grilled Cheese & Ham = Grilled Cheese with ham on it.

Grilled Cheese & Tomato = Grilled Cheese with tomato on it

Grilled Cheese & Bacon = Grilled Cheese with bacon on it

Grilled Cheese = Just Cheese and Bread, nothing else.

OT: I am all about the Panini Press option, or a Foreman Grill. Using frying pans is great, but the others are more of a prepare and let cook rather than needing to babysit it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

BTW what kind of cheese? I assume not cheddar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Gotta say. I agree with Grilled Cheese & anything else, is no longer a grilled cheese.

Grilled Cheese & Ham = Grilled Cheese with ham on it.

Grilled Cheese & Tomato = Grilled Cheese with tomato on it

Grilled Cheese & Bacon = Grilled Cheese with bacon on it

Grilled Cheese = Just Cheese and Bread, nothing else.

OT: I am all about the Panini Press option, or a Foreman Grill. Using frying pans is great, but the others are more of a prepare and let cook rather than needing to babysit it.
    I thank you for your moral support sir/ma'am.

I've used a foreman type grill before, but I still like my normal frying pan by far the best!
    You're a towel.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is perfect for making grilled cheese
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Machine-Comm.../dp/B0072U3L7U

FU OP now I want grilled cheese!

Drown in your drool: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-am...ndwich-recipes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lochglen View Post
    I am wondering if Blizzard are going to give the Alliance the 5 mounts because the worgen have running wild, the horde have 5 new mounts , i just think they should balance it out, how say you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    hows about you give half your money to africa because you have more than them, and it's not balanced
    no? didn't think so

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aslac View Post
    This is perfect for making grilled cheese
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Machine-Comm.../dp/B0072U3L7U
    "Bought this as an anniversary present for the wife. It would appear that this is a waste of money as the toasties she makes with this are not fit for human consumption."

Not exactly stellar reviews..though maybe his wife just can't cook!
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Crowley View Post
    FU OP now I want grilled cheese!

Drown in your drool: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/40-am...ndwich-recipes
    Agreed...I really really want a grilled cheese with some bacon on it, and a small bowl of tomato soup.

Turn your toaster on its side, put both pieces of bread cheese up, enjoy.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Turn your toaster on its side, put both pieces of bread cheese up, enjoy.
    Does that work? Because that sounds kind of genius...
    Xinjun

I just make toast, grate some cheddar (some double Gloucester makes it gooier) on the toast and shove it under the grill in the oven for a couple of minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xinjun View Post
    Does that work? Because that sounds kind of genius...
    Only until you put the cheese too close to the edge and it runs off and catches fire on the element.

Quote Originally Posted by BetrayedOf52 View Post
    So, iv been looking for two days now for a top quality grilled cheese maker and i'm having trouble finding one. Anyone have any suggestions of ones they have bought over the years? Not a fan of hard crust ones such as
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GRILL-NON-STI...76e2807&_uhb=1

What do you use? Any suggestions?

P.S Money is no object, I will pay top dollar for a great grilled cheese maker.
    A stove, a frying pan and low to medium heat makes the BEST GRILT CHEESES EVAR!

"I miss my diagonal grill cheeses / and back when Micheal Jackson was still Jesus" - Chance the Rapper

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    I just make toast, grate some cheddar (some double Gloucester makes it gooier) on the toast and shove it under the grill in the oven for a couple of minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Only until you put the cheese too close to the edge and it runs off and catches fire on the element.
    mmm, sounds crispy. I generally like mine someone firm, but a bit on the moister side.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post

What if you stuck some tinfoil in there...

If I fail to return to these forums.. you can assume I died in a cheese-filled electrical fire this evening :}
    *edit* Shit I don't have a toaster. I have a toaster oven. ..... Which is actually better now that I think about it.. what am I going on about?
    Xinjun

It's my time to rise and shine. 7 Years on this website talking about stuff I know nothing about, but today is different, today I rise and shine.

Unless you buy http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BGR82...dp/B003SIN0BC/ you're better off sticking with a pan. Cast iron is sexy and is the new shit on the interweb but unless your burner at home has insane BTUs and packs a lot of heat, you're better off with a good set of heavy'ish non stick pan like http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Unis...dp/B004RIY4J4/ - Just make sure you don't burn shit, keep your pan around 175° celsius for delicate bread like thin sliced soft breads, or if you have garlic bread with chunks of garlic in it that could burn if you go higher. You can go up to 230°F for big slice of french bread and stuff like that, the goal is to get a decent heat/sear on the bread to actually get the nice toasted flavor.

Now butter. You always butter the bread, not the pan, mostly because you want the tasty milk solids suspended in the butter to caramelize on your bread and be delicious. Stick to lower heat (175°C or so) if you butter your bread because it's pretty easy to go past the smoke, and because the goal with butter is more to caramelize it slowly'ish than to sear. However, if you keep the heat high enough you can actually skip the butter altogether on the bread and still have something really good, if you're into the healthy side of things.

Any cheese works, grating them is better because it lets thing melt a LOT easier. Don't overheat some of the hard cheese like gruyere or manchego because they will always have hard time melting and actually will separate into a weird greasy mess if you overheat them. Good cheese are obviously cheddar and all the go-to-basic stuff, if you want to go fancy anything goat based (goat gouda, etc) will tend to be pretty amazing.

You can add other stuff and still called it a grilled cheese, it's an american thing, but getting butt hurt over it means you have way too much free time and you should be using it to be making more grilled cheese. Technically a grilled ham and cheese starts to enter the realm of croque monsieur and my french ass doesn't get butthurt about it and still calls it a grilled cheese.

Last thing, make sure you add some acidity to that to cut all the fat/richness from the cheese. Tomato is the go to topping but I'm not a huge fan, you can have pretty decent results with anything balsamic vinegar based, and if you're not into acid you can get really good and creamy result by mashing an avocado with just salt/pepper/tiny bit of garlic and using it as a spread inside the sandwich after grilling. Just keep the cheese on one side, have random meat as a barrier, and you have a non sticky cheese free side that can get extra toppings after cooking (baby spinach, avocado, etc)

That's about it. I'm glad this website is finally talking about the things that matter in life.

Deleted
    Ok.
    /10chars

I like to butter in a frying pan my bread, and then toast the bread in a frying pan. This makes some toasted buttery goodness, and then I put cheese on one of the pieces of bread. If you have a lid, you can cover over the top of it to melt it, and then put the other piece of toast on when it's melty. There's not much better grilled cheese than the kind you make yourself!
    Last edited by Symphonic; 2014-04-03 at 03:52 PM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

The only single use item you should have in the kitchen is the fire extinguisher. Learn to watch and flip your sandwich and a pan is all you will ever need.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."