Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    GTFO mod might help if he is standing in stuff. Well, if he has sound on.

OK - so i'm by no means the best Hunter in the world, but, his up-time on a lot of things is really low and on a 12 minute fight (attempt 8) it looks to me as he is spamming the wrong thing and then being focus starved and not able to hit the right things on CD...

Tell him to get an addon called JSHB - it has a number of configurable sections - but the most important one he can use is the Focus Bar (he needs to position it where he can see it with out it being distracting or blocking his view) - it will allow you to set ranges on the bar that will let the player see, I don;t have much focus and need to cobra shot, or I have a lot of focus and can afford to spam a couple of shots and still have focus for ES.

The trick is to weave cobra into the rotation to a) make sure Serpent Sting stays up and (more importantly) b) you have enough focus to hit explosive (for SV) or KC (BM) on CD and not wait for (or have to force) focus regen and there for delay the primary attack.

He needs to Explosive Shot and Black Arrow (for LnL procs) more - he only had 8 Lock N Load procs, he only used Rapid Fire twice - Black Arrow has a 15 sec CD and 3 mins for RF (he should have closer to 40 BA's and 4 RF's)- basically he is not using his abilities and he's not using them on CD - he only has 21 Explosive shots - this should be closer to the 100 mark (in a 12 minute fight /6 secs = 120) but unless you're a robot with 0 latency you'll never get the 120 - but even so, it's his most damaging ability and he's not using it enough...

Send him to the Hunter Section at Noxxic or Icy-veins to do some reading on basic hunter priorities and then he needs to go and stand at the target dummies in one fo the cities and practice his rotation - start him with Black Arrow, Explosive shot and Cobra shot as his basic rotation and get him to practice until he can hit ES and BA on CD with out being focus starved - and once he gets that, then start weaving other things into the rotation as well, Dire Beast, AMoC, SS...

Also - if he's getting caught in stuff alot (desecrated weapons) then also sounds like he needs a mod like Deadly Boss Mods to throw up a warning for when these things are coming...

All in all he needs to do a bit of his own research and start applying that research to his game play, if he's willing to learn and show's improvement, great, if he hasn't improved over the next couple of weeks, i'd say he's not going to and you should probably look to replace him...

GL with it...

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry for the mini-necro, but I have a followup.

I am disappointed in everyone in this thread, ESPECIALLY myself.

Nobody, not even myself, caught that the hunter was using Multi-Shot on single targets. I mean...who would even think to look for that, right? What kind of idiot cripples themselves by using Multi-Shot on a single target?

Sigh.

Thank you all for attempting to help this guy, but it seems that before we try anything as standard as "keep your DoT's up" we have to do the remedial "don't use area attacks on single targets". I'll file the info you gave me away till later, when he's up for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Sorry for the mini-necro, but I have a followup.

I am disappointed in everyone in this thread, ESPECIALLY myself.

Nobody, not even myself, caught that the hunter was using Multi-Shot on single targets. I mean...who would even think to look for that, right? What kind of idiot cripples themselves by using Multi-Shot on a single target?

Sigh.

Thank you all for attempting to help this guy, but it seems that before we try anything as standard as "keep your DoT's up" we have to do the remedial "don't use area attacks on single targets". I'll file the info you gave me away till later, when he's up for it.
    Might be because the log you linked isn't a single target fight?

10+ Year Old Account
    He still hit only one target way too often. It's far worse in other logs, tho.

EDIT: To give an example, in the longest run (13:14) Karlis used Multi-Shot 87 times. Of those, 58 hit only a single target.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2014-04-07 at 06:59 PM.

Well - even if it wasn't mentioned - all the advice in this thread WAS that he wasn't hitting the right shots at the right time and i did say in my earlier post that he was spamming the wrong things at the wrong times.

Coming in here and sprouting your disappointment in US that we didn't pick up he was just multi-shotting the whole time isn't likely to get you much help or other advice at any another time.

At the end of the day, who cares that he was only multi-shotting... everyone in this thread posted that he wasn't doing enough of his primary basic rotation and if you fix that (which is what you asked of us), for the most part, it will fix the other things (like only using multi-shot because he won't have the time / cd's or focus to do it)... then he can start building on the other stuff...

19% uptime on black arrow

10+ Year Old Account
    With just changing his gear and abilities, he should see a massive improvement alone. Also the legendary quest should be at the top of his "To Do List"!

For reforging he should be getting as much crit as possible from his gear for Survival. (Hit / exp cap of 7.5% > Crit > Haste > Mastery) and he's also sitting at 8.84% hit which is way over :S!

Now talents:
    Crouching tiger, Hidden Chimera
    Binding Shot
    Aspect of the Iron Hawk / Spirit bond
    Thrill of the Hunt
    Blink Strikes
    Glaive toss

is about as cookie cutter as you can get, and based on his armory talents he will see an improvement using these after some practice!

And that is about all i can think of at the moment...

best of luck on Garrosh!
    -Alv

Don't feel bad about Flex Garrosh being progression for your guild. My guild still is only 13/14 in flex content, and 7/14 on normal content. I have been lucky enough to have friends who play on other servers who were in need of another for their wing 3 and 4 clears for the week.

My key recommendations would be as follows:

Equipped Gear
    - reforge Ticking Ebon Detonator's Mastery -> Crit

Cast Abilities
    - Black Arrow, Serpent Sting, and Explosive Shot up times need to be much higher

Talents
    - Level 15: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Chimera is probably the best choice of the 3 in SoO content.
    - Level 30: Intimidation or Binding Shot -- Intimidation can be used as a stun/interrupt
    - Level 45: Aspect of the Iron Hawk
    - Level 60: Fervor or Thrill of the Hunt
    - Level 75: Blink Strikes or Murder of Crows
    - Level 90: Glaive Toss or Barrage

Glyphs
    - Remove Glyph of Mending and Glyoh of Snake Trap
    - Replace with Glyph of Animal Bond and Glyph of Liberation/Glyph of Disengage

All of these changes could easily help the DPS output of this player. Also, encourage this player to finish the Legendary questline. The meta gem and Cloak would greatly increase the DPS output.