10+ Year Old Account

Giving us the World in Warcraft

So I was kinda wondering about this after a friend of mine discussed it one evening.

What would you guys think if they just got rid of the NPCs, scrapped the AH and added in more meaningful crafting. I thought it would be cool if players took over the role of vendors. Opening up shops, repairing peoples gear and even having markets where chefs can show off their wares and throw down a Noodle Cart. Granted it would be alot to add in to make it work. But it seems theres a decent amount of people who enjoy playing the game to make gold. Adding an economy to the game that didnt revolve around the 1c undercut seemed like it would be fun.

Obviously it would have to be worked out price wise and again, they would have to add a lot to current professions to make it worthwhile but I thought it was an interesting idea to share. We run around and kill stuff in the world, we could also run the world :P

If this would ever be a thing (highly unlikely) How would you like to see it go off, thoughts/concerns.
    60 Priest - Sinfel https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...eldorei/sinfel
    60 Mage - Redrayn https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...ldorei/redrayn

I used to have a cool signature, but now its limited it 6 lines and that has my boobs all twisted with anger!

It would be amazing if done right, but from what I've experienced in other games (not sure what type of player shop system you're suggesting) it's often just a huge pain in the ass. I'd love this type of thing, having your own little shop and being a proper merchant of sorts, but it'd be quite difficult to do. They'd have to make professions much more complex, and even then it'd be difficult to make stores unique. Short of having a million different recipes and specializations, how does your tailoring shop differ from the other thousand tailors on your realm?
    Last edited by Veceva; 2014-04-03 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviditas View Post
    So I was kinda wondering about this after a friend of mine discussed it one evening.

What would you guys think if they just got rid of the NPCs, scrapped the AH and added in more meaningful crafting. I thought it would be cool if players took over the role of vendors. Opening up shops, repairing peoples gear and even having markets where chefs can show off their wares and throw down a Noodle Cart. Granted it would be alot to add in to make it work. But it seems theres a decent amount of people who enjoy playing the game to make gold. Adding an economy to the game that didnt revolve around the 1c undercut seemed like it would be fun.

Obviously it would have to be worked out price wise and again, they would have to add a lot to current professions to make it worthwhile but I thought it was an interesting idea to share. We run around and kill stuff in the world, we could also run the world :P

If this would ever be a thing (highly unlikely) How would you like to see it go off, thoughts/concerns.
    Have you ever played Ragnarok Online? One of the player classes there can literally set up shop and act as a vendor NPC, with prices listed at the player's choice. However, when I played RO, Prontera (the main capital of the game) was LITTERED with so many PC vendors that I no matter where I clicked, I'd end up opening a PC shop window. I had issues finding myself, or any specific vendor I wanted to check their wares.

Not to mention that all of those were just AFK players who would just set up shop and go about their business IRL (sleep, work, mow the lawn, do the horizontal tango, etc.), so if you wanted to haggle with the players? No chance. Ninety-nine out of hundred times the player would be AFK if you tried to contact them.

Also, from a buyer's perspective, I'd much rather have the AH, for at least there I can have a list of all the items put to vendor. Instead of having to go from PC shop to PC shop hoping to find the best price for the item I want, and if the PC shops have it at all. It is simply not a good idea.

Horrible idea. I want a place where I can find everything I want, I don't want to go around from shop to shop. However, the main reason that this makes no sense is because there are already "shops" in WoW, you can see them advertise in chat, no need to use AH if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veceva View Post
    just a huge pain in the ass.
    I like this in limited doses, like how you can make yourself a noodle cart, or buff other players, grouping, trading, and the like. Become too dependent on this and we wind up with...

Barrens chat: ARE THERE ANY VENDOR-PLAYERS OUT HERE?! Any at all. I just really need this armor repaired after I had to spirit rez, and my bags are full of junk. Can I trade the junk for repairs? Oh god please somebody respond, I don't want to walk all the way to Orgrimmar! All the flight master-players are afk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account

Ah, would be amazing to see running, though I am not sure. I don't think all servers would be blessed with players who wish to create a social structure of business. Would love a greater meaning to our professions, yes. Instead of nerfing some, let them grow to a use in the field, city and groups. (I.e. the less and less actual useful items from Engineering).

I would gladly support the idea, I think one of the reasons are also due to an old MMO I played once. A korean one, horrible graphics compared to now, where you needed to find higher levelled players to teach you some of the special attacks. So, you as a player had to be in a group with the other player, watching him do an ability 10 times before you had learnt it.

But general social and community setup of this idea, that is where it'll be hit hardest. Some servers does not hold a chance due to so, i.e low population servers and the likes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Barrens chat: ARE THERE ANY VENDOR-PLAYERS OUT HERE?! Any at all. I just really need this armor repaired after I had to spirit rez, and my bags are full of junk. Can I trade the junk for repairs? Oh god please somebody respond, I don't want to walk all the way to Orgrimmar! All the flight master-players are afk!
    Nah, imagine that one guy who thought it would be a good idea to level in Desolace.

And no, don't think players should be in control of the core of the structure. As in, players shouldn't be trainers, Flightmasters or banke-... wait a second...

*stands in an empty building with a huge chest and a finely crafted sign saying "Bank"* "I'll hold your stuff, sir. Don't worry, I... I wont run"
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Wurm Online is exactly like this. Players can buy personal merchant NPCs where they put their items and set their price for others. Everything is player run in that game, there are no quests and barely any NPCs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then the game would be like Maplestory, which it is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Has been tried, hasn't it? I think Ultima Online had something like that. The problem, would you pay to play a game to be a blacksmith? Or a chef? Or a tailor? Or an inn keeper? Or would you rather be out adventuring killing dragons?

There are people who do theses, just as there are people really into RP. But many do not.

Then there is the problem of cartels forming. It happens in RL. It will happen in Wow Life.

Deleted
    WoW has been going in the opposite direction, from World to Theme Park, ever since it launched.
    So I'd say that it's very unlikely anything like that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by gowron View Post
    WoW has been going in the opposite direction, from World to Theme Park, ever since it launched.
    So I'd say that it's very unlikely anything like that could happen.
    The players are the ones responsible for that.
    Look at the reactions when you try to pug celestials on your realm.
    You get told to use the raid finder.
    Players whine endlessly when someone takes 5 minutes to get to a raid.
    Players use heirlooms to reach the level cap as quickly as possible.

The majority have proven time and time again.
    The community does not want the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Hey, don't hate the playa, hate the game.

you are selling X
    guy next to you is selling X
    you put up X for less than the guy next to you

if it is on the AH or a cluttered city full of bullshit is irrelevant

I honestly don't see the benefit to cluttering up the cities and chat with people trying to sell shit when there is a perfectly fine way to sell stuff you have that keeps the world and chat mostly clean and gives the buyers the options to browse for specific items and compare prices of different sellers instead of having to run around looking who all is selling the newest pet and at white price

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Look at the reactions when you try to pug celestials on your realm.
    You get told to use the raid finder.
    Players whine endlessly when someone takes 5 minutes to get to a raid.
    Players use heirlooms to reach the level cap as quickly as possible.

The majority have proven time and time again.
    The community does not want the world.
    The community, and general human nature is to want to do the easiest thing possible, whether it is fun or not. It's just human nature, why the tools were given in the first place is an entirely different question. A video game isn't all about getting what you want. especially an MMORPG.

Aka. Ignorance is bliss, and if it aint broke don't fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    you are selling X
    guy next to you is selling X
    you put up X for less than the guy next to you

if it is on the AH or a cluttered city full of bullshit is irrelevant

I honestly don't see the benefit to cluttering up the cities and chat with people trying to sell shit when there is a perfectly fine way to sell stuff you have that keeps the world and chat mostly clean and gives the buyers the options to browse for specific items and compare prices of different sellers instead of having to run around looking who all is selling the newest pet and at white price
    The level of douchyness in this one post cannot be contained. Try to be nice, it won't hurt you

Agreed, professions need to have a bit more depth to them, aslong as it doesn't take to much away from actual gameplay, killing dragons etc.

I prefer World of Warcraft, not World of Walmart.

I don't think turning the game into a economy simulation would be the right thing for WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if WoW would go into a 100% player market (no NPC vendors), it would require a massive overhaul.
    While I'm saying this, I'm playing EVE Online, a game that is known for its player controlled market, and it works well due to the way EVE works, and to be honest, I can't see such system work in WoW

10+ Year Old Account

I think it would be interesting to see it happen if it were limited to Guild Shops/Auction Houses.

15+ Year Old Account
    A vendor's life is no adventure.