R9 280X vs GTX 770

Hiya,

As the title says, I'm looking for some opinions and such for the choice between these two GPUs.
    I'm having some issues deciding, because I feel like I'm finding different pros/cons for each of these and would just like some outer perspective.

Basically, the AMD GPU is interesting partly because of Mantle and partly because I'm used to AMD, haven't used Nvidia since the old GeForce cards.
    On the other hand, on some of the benchmarks and comparisons I've found, the GTX 770 seems to pull ahead.

Now, the cost is roughly the same from my store so price is not really anything that plays part. Other suggestions (apart from the aforementioned) are very welcome though.

The rest of my setup is (if it's of any interest):
    Antec 900 Case
    Corsair 650W PSU
    i5-4670K CPU
    Z87-A Mobo

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Mantle aside, the previous comparison and winners from the 680 vs 7970 match up still hold true. 280X can handle higher resolutions better with a wider membus and has 3GB of VRAM for better compatibility in the future. The reason many were going with the 770 recently was due to the crazy price gouging from crypto currency mining on AMD's side.

Now that prices have settled to pretty much where they should be, it would probably be a wise idea to stick with AMD in that price range.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    I'd second what glo said, but with a caveat - should you do livestreaming, and have the capacity on your ISP's upstream connection, Then I'd plug for the GTX770, as the R9-280X doesn't have an in-built stream encoder.

not to hijack the thread (apologies if that counts as HJ) but what about one level higher?

I'm considering getting GTX780. What is its counterpart (I only have limited knowledge of nVidia stuff)? And should I get 780 or its counter?

Deleted
    I own a R280X myself, that I got because I had to RMA the 7970 Ghz Ed I had before. I am very happy with it, and would support what was said. The selling point for me was the RAM size and performance - Mantle is interesting, but it helps only in specific scenarios - high definitions but low detail. It gives me an increase of 0.3 frames in BF4 at 1920x1080 with max detail.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hlx View Post
    not to hijack the thread (apologies if that counts as HJ) but what about one level higher?

I'm considering getting GTX780. What is its counterpart (I only have limited knowledge of nVidia stuff)? And should I get 780 or its counter?
    The 290 would be its counterpart. And one step higher up we have the 290X vs the 780ti. And that depends on what you want to do with it.

Assuming just gaming (@ 1080p), I would pick the cheaper of the two. I think both perform pretty much identical. But the 290 is about 30-40 euro's cheaper, or that is where I live at least

If you play on resolutions higher than 1080p, I would probably go for the 290. Altho the 780 as enough vram to do that as well. If you are interested in streaming or recording, the 780 is probably a better choice due to shadowplay

Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    The 290 would be its counterpart. And one step higher up we have the 290X vs the 780ti. And that depends on what you want to do with it.

Assuming just gaming (@ 1080p), I would pick the cheaper of the two. I think both perform pretty much identical. But the 290 is about 30-40 euro's cheaper, or that is where I live at least

If you play on resolutions higher than 1080p, I would probably go for the 290. Altho the 780 as enough vram to do that as well. If you are interested in streaming or recording, the 780 is probably a better choice due to shadowplay
    I play at full HD 1920x1200
    while I don't stream or record I was planning to start at least recording WoW raid nights and might dabble with streaming (not a must though)

Streaming via ShadowPlay is pretty much worthless. Games have to be full screen and if you tab out it puts your stream offline until you restart it again.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics