Coin guranteed drop?

A while back i remember reading of a system that the coin for loot uses. It said that at some point you will be guaranteed to get a drop with the coin.

So is this thing still on? Can someone explain how it works?

Also, is there a way to use this guaranteed drop to your advantage?

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    The theory is that everytime you "lose" a coin roll, your chance of getting an item on the next roll is increased.

So for example, if the first roll only had a 10% chance of success, the next one would be 20% and so on, and it resets when you win an item.

As far as using it to your advantage? You can't really control RNG, so I can't really see a point, even with a high percentage chance due to constant lost rolls, you could still lose on that boss you are "gaming" it for.

A Tweet from a loooong time ago (by GC, if I remember correctly) implied that the bad luck protection was applied per boss. So, you can't coin earlier bosses, hope for gold, then coin the boss you want for a higher chance at loot. There's no real way to game it. It basically just prevents people from coining every single week and getting nothing, which happened to an unlucky few in T14 before the bad luck protection was implemented.

Done and coined immerseus 13 times now on flex/heroic. Still no trinket/loot. The game is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    Done and coined immerseus 13 times now on flex/heroic. Still no trinket/loot. The game is broken.
    And you've won other items on that or other bosses since. It's not broken, the roll protection just happened to give you other loot, or loot on other bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    And you've won other items on that or other bosses since. It's not broken, the roll protection just happened to give you other loot, or loot on other bosses.
    This is not the case. The coin protection was supposed to protect you from rolling on a boss and consistently losing. There is a tweet by GC I believe talking about it being on a per boss basis so when you win something on another boss it does not effect your bad luck streak on the other boss.

For example

9 lost rolls on Immerseus
    Win item on Protectors

Your chance to get loot on Immerseus is still higher because of the protection against the strings of bad luck. I really don't feel like digging for the tweet but they did state that was their intent. Whether or not that is the way it actually functions, who knows...

I've lost 7 rolls so far on Thok for the healing trinket so according to this system I should be due to win something off his loot table soon.

Blue post from this link. (6/27/13)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...44870?page=1#6

"Whenever you use a bonus roll and you don’t get any loot, your chance of getting loot on the next roll will increase. This increased probability won’t be reset until some loot is awarded, and this is independent of the boss that is being killed. The bad luck streak protection will carry over and continue to increase the probability from boss to boss and instance to instance and won't reset until you get some loot."

You can indeed coin earlier bosses and hope for gold to build up your 'streak' so that you have a higher than normal possibility of winning an item from the boss that you actually need. So, let's say you want the trinket from Dark Shaman. You coin something from Immerseus. If you have the coins to spare, it is a good strategy to coin some of the other earlier bosses, hoping for gold, so that when you do finally get to Shamans, you have a good chance to win an item.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gurushockin View Post
    If that is indeed the case, it just supports the notion that the bad luck protection is not applied to only that boss. It is improbable that someone will roll 13 straight times without getting any loot, the most I've ever gone is 6, MAYBE 7, and most of the time I get something on the 4th or 5th roll.
    Last edited by Nebs; 2014-04-03 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nebs View Post
    "Whenever you use a bonus roll and you don’t get any loot, your chance of getting loot on the next roll will increase. This increased probability won’t be reset until some loot is awarded, and this is independent of the boss that is being killed. The bad luck streak protection will carry over and continue to increase the probability from boss to boss and instance to instance and won't reset until you get some loot."
    I guess they scraped this plan then:

"The plan is per boss and separate for bonus rolls, but still working out the details."

Good to know.
    Last edited by Squirl; 2014-04-03 at 08:39 PM.

Deleted
    Do we know if it is per currency ?

If not, there is a way to game this system : go to ToT where you can get as many token as you want (well only limited by the time you wish to spend on the island of lost time) and use them on ToT bosses until you have used 3-4 roll without winning. The next time you'll use a bonus roll (on a SOO boss) you should have a rather good "bad luck streak protection" on this roll.

You could go to MV/HoF/Toes too (those token are even easier to get), but there, the chance to loot is so high (like ~75%) than getting to 3-4 roll without loot is nearly impossible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CaML View Post

If not, there is a way to game this system : go to ToT where you can get as many token as you want (well only limited by the time you wish to spend on the island of lost time) and use them on ToT bosses until you have used 3-4 roll without winning. The next time you'll use a bonus roll (on a SOO boss) you should have a rather good "bad luck streak protection" on this roll.

You could go to MV/HoF/Toes too (those token are even easier to get), but there, the chance to loot is so high (like ~75%) than getting to 3-4 roll without loot is nearly impossible.
    Really not worth the time invested - just do it the way they intend. Rng is Rng and some times yes it's a bitch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CaML View Post

It wouldn't work and (even if it did) it would be impossible to roll 3-4 times without winning in ToT(and I doubt you could roll twice without winning in MV/HOF/TOES)

Quote Originally Posted by meroko View Post
    This is not the case. The coin protection was supposed to protect you from rolling on a boss and consistently losing. There is a tweet by GC I believe talking about it being on a per boss basis so when you win something on another boss it does not effect your bad luck streak on the other boss.

For example

9 lost rolls on Immerseus
    Win item on Protectors

Your chance to get loot on Immerseus is still higher because of the protection against the strings of bad luck. I really don't feel like digging for the tweet but they did state that was their intent. Whether or not that is the way it actually functions, who knows...

I've lost 7 rolls so far on Thok for the healing trinket so according to this system I should be due to win something off his loot table soon.
    u got it wrong. the "bad luck protection" is not per boss.
    lose coin rolls on immerseus 7 times, coin an item on protectors : ur streak is reset.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMine View Post
    u got it wrong. the "bad luck protection" is not per boss.
    lose coin rolls on immerseus 7 times, coin an item on protectors : ur streak is reset.
    Blizzard said the bad luck protection is per boss and per difficulty.

@OP the system is there, but we dont know what the %+ of drop is for every fail coin, i have been using coin every single week for the caster trinket in shaman on my alt, 10 coins in normal; 0 drop, not even the mace, 8 coins in garrosh; 0 loot. and i used 7 in flex. I believe either the +% of drop is very low or the whole system is a placebo.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post
    Did you read the thread? I linked a blue post indicating that it's not per boss; I'd love to see where blizzard said the opposite. As far as whether it's per currency, I don't have the exact link but I seem to remember them saying that it is indeed per currency, meaning that using coins in ToT would not build up your streak for coins in SoO. Also I don't recall them saying it's per difficulty, would like to see some evidence regarding that as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterik View Post

@OP the system is there, but we dont know what the %+ of drop is for every fail coin, i have been using coin every single week for the caster trinket in shaman on my alt, 10 coins in normal; 0 drop, not even the mace, 8 coins in garrosh; 0 loot. and i used 7 in flex. I believe either the +% of drop is very low or the whole system is a placebo.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...44870?page=1#6

Proof right here.

Yup, that's the same link I provided. It shows that it's not a per boss basis, and also seems to be saying that difficulty does not matter. So, if you use a bunch of coins in Flex, you should have bad luck protection for using coins in normal as well.

"Basically, this feature treats all bonus rolls as if they were actually the same, no matter where they originate from."

This was posted when ToT was already out, so you already had different types of coins available, as is the case now. It doesn't make sense to me but I guess it's saying that you can go use coins in ToT and this would increase your bad luck protection for SoO coins as well.

Do you seriously think they'd waste a huge amount of database space on something as trivial and silly as bonus roll protection on per boss & per difficulty basis, instead of just using a single number that gets a +1 increase per failed roll regardless of where until you win something?

Quote Originally Posted by coocoo View Post
    Do you seriously think they'd waste a huge amount of database space on something as trivial and silly as bonus roll protection on per boss & per difficulty basis, instead of just using a single number that gets a +1 increase per failed roll regardless of where until you win something?
    Yes, they don't want people spending 1 coin a week just so they don't lose their increased chance on one boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    If the community managers were ever right more then 50% of the time I'd be more inclined to believe it. the CM's are like the GM's, its a total crapshoot of whether or not you get one that has any idea wtf they are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    That isnt the only blue talking about it, i remember it was in the US forum or gc twitter.