Page 1 of 3
LastLast

So apparently a South Korean company is going to clone Wooly Mammoths...

...in Northern Alberta.

http://www.imgism.com/jurassic-park-...thern-alberta/

Well that's just fascinating and stuff...but clearly nobody from Korea has been to Northern Alberta before, the Wooly Mammoth is alive and doing very well (but she sure ain't pretty!) Neither is the Yeti...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna eat one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    I wanna eat one.
    I support Mammoth burgers!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    As much as I'd love a mammoth burger, I don't really get whypeople interested in cloning are so fixated on mammoths.
    idk, I figure it's because its one of those early species we managed to kill off. Maybe they'll go through the whole list eventually lol.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd rather see something like the Tasmanian Wolf, Passenger Pigeon, or Dodo bird, or any of the large extinct birds from Australia and New Zealand (Moas, etc).

How about some of the more recent extinctions, some of the subspecies of tigers for instance.

Any number of other species that would be easier to clone I'd think... the Mammoth is just too 'sensational' to resist I guess.

Godzilla sized retarded mammoth elephant hybrid things coming to a town near you!

As much as I'd love a mammoth burger, I don't really get whypeople interested in cloning are so fixated on mammoths.
    They are big and pretty well globally known. As such the impact of "MAMMOTH!" would be a lot bigger than "GIANT FLIGHTLESS AUSTRALIAN BIRD NO ONE KNOWS!"

I don't think these other animals are off the table, what I think is succeeding in such a visible and relatively well known project would generate a lot more funds for future projects than these others would. Additionally, it may have simply been easier to find viable mammoth dna, which wasn't easy at all btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    I wanna eat one.
    First thing I thought, actually.

I would love to see a wooly mammoth, however something occurred to me when thinking about cloning an animal like this. Mammoths went extinct, whether it was the climate, or the predators, they died out. If we cloned wooly mammoths, we'd really only be cloning them into captivity, there wouldn't really be a place where we'd say "this is where wooly mammoths go, breed them and release them there."

I'm not a huge "SAVE THE ANIMALS" guy, but I do understand, when cloning the animal isn't really going to do anything but bring it back for study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    I'd rather see something like the Tasmanian Wolf, Passenger Pigeon, or Dodo bird, or any of the large extinct birds from Australia and New Zealand (Moas, etc).

How about some of the more recent extinctions, some of the subspecies of tigers for instance.

Any number of other species that would be easier to clone I'd think... the Mammoth is just too 'sensational' to resist I guess.
    Isn't it more to do with viable material to clone from?

Mammoths lived in regions where their genetic material could be preserved by freezing, whereas as the dodo lived in a warmer climate and got eaten by Portuguese blokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    I would love to see a wooly mammoth, however something occurred to me when thinking about cloning an animal like this. Mammoths went extinct, whether it was the climate, or the predators, they died out. If we cloned wooly mammoths, we'd really only be cloning them into captivity, there wouldn't really be a place where we'd say "this is where wooly mammoths go, breed them and release them there."

I'm not a huge "SAVE THE ANIMALS" guy, but I do understand, when cloning the animal isn't really going to do anything but bring it back for study.
    Well Northern Alberta is mostly full of nothing...as is the Northwest Territories...could just release them there or something...idk...

Mammoth Burgers sounds better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Well Northern Alberta is mostly full of nothing...as is the Northwest Territories...could just release them there or something...idk...

Mammoth Burgers sounds better.
    Canada could get rid of that crappy leaf from their flag and put a mammoth on it instead.

only if they can some how make them the size of cats and we can keep them as pets

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Canada could get rid of that crappy leaf from their flag and put a mammoth on it instead.
    I don't like you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Will Canadian Mounties start riding mammoths instead of horses if this works?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a lot of info about them (DNA, bones, etc...) and the DNA from an Elephant and a Mammoth is not that different, so its way easier to start with a mammoth

I've been pretty excited about this ever since I read about it in National Geographic. Hoping we bring cave hyenas back and introduce them to Russia!

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Will Canadian Mounties start riding mammoths instead of horses if this works?
    They already ride bears, so it seems only logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if South Korea went about cloning Dennis Rodman. Then over running North Korea with said Dennis Rodman clones riding cloned Mammoths.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    I don't like you.