10+ Year Old Account

Replacement GPU Cooler - VTX AMD Radeon HD 7870

I recently landed myself a "new" graphics card, the trouble is that the fan on it is terrible, the GPU always runs hot.

Currently I am idling in not particularly busy part of orgrimar. and that's pretty much all that's running.

Wondering whats available in the range of aftermarket coolers that could be used to improve the cooling performance with less noise.

How about the Kraken G10 + Kraken X40 (or any other asetek AIO) ?!

Arctic and GeLid are the larger aftermarket GPU cooling brands. Just be prepared to spend around half of what the card is worth in the first place, they're unfortunately not cheap. Is warranty service not an option?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Arctic and GeLid are the larger aftermarket GPU cooling brands. Just be prepared to spend around half of what the card is worth in the first place, they're unfortunately not cheap. Is warranty service not an option?
    Might be able to find out, but I bought the card second hand.

I have the Asus Direct CU II version of that size card, and it cools perfectly. Is your case well ventilated? this is an often overlooked issue, and can easily be remedied. First, pop out a couple more PCI slots from the back of the case right next to the card. This will allow more fresh air flow, which is also cooler air flow. Second, if your case can permit it, get front and back side fans, as well as a side of case fan. I personally use a side fan right over my graphics card, and it runs atleast 20 degrees cooler with just these mods, and no aftermarket external graphics cooler. If this isn't enough, grab a water cooler unit for it, and possibly go as far as removing the current fan and heat sink setup for an after market one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Headtaker View Post
    I have the Asus Direct CU II version of that size card, and it cools perfectly.
    Mmhmm that's a fair comparison, taking a top rated card + cooler in comparison to essentially a reference card + cooler.
    Is your case well ventilated? this is an often overlooked issue, and can easily be remedied. First, pop out a couple more PCI slots from the back of the case right next to the card. This will allow more fresh air flow, which is also cooler air flow. Second, if your case can permit it, get front and back side fans, as well as a side of case fan. I personally use a side fan right over my graphics card, and it runs atleast 20 degrees cooler with just these mods, and no aftermarket external graphics cooler. If this isn't enough
    Got the Fractal Define R4 with all additional case fans (set on high while gaming, set on low otherwise) Unfortunately there was a 2 month wait to get the Factal Design Case Fans so I had to settle for the CORSAIR AIR SERIES AF140 But I did put in the additional 2 in the top and 1 in the front. I have a spare to put in the bottom when I find something to put the case on other than carpet. Front and top fans are filtered in-take with rear as exhaust.

(Haven't had a chance yet to take any finished pictures, still got a little cable tidying to do)
    grab a water cooler unit for it
    Think it'd be cheaper to buy a new Decent Graphics card and drop out the 2 cards I have at the moment.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-04-03 at 09:46 PM.