Deleted

F2P: How many things are locked behind a subscription?

I want to try SWTOR for the first time ever and I just wonder, what features will be blocked from me if I don't want to spend any $$ on this game.

Is it worth playing F2P version? Is it fine for leveling? Is end-game content closed for me if I don't spend any money? Thx for answer.

It's pretty heavily restricted, not in terms of content so much as quality of life. Inventory space, number of action bars, and all other manner of obnoxious limitation is present to annoy the F2P user into paying money. That being said, the leveling experience was a lot of fun, so if you can scrape the $$ together it's worth a 1-month sub. You can then enjoy the top-notch leveling experience unhindered... and then drop the sub and go back to free. If you can't pay, maybe try it anyway. You don't have much to lose with a free game.

Deleted
    Variations of this threrad pop up every few weeks:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...TOR-best-model

Consensus seems to be what Lubricious told you: one month sub, then level as preferred. There's tons of content for 15 bucks.

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR is an absolute nightmare for F2P players. Some quest rewards are locked behind a paywall, some basic options like "Hide Helm" is locked, bagspace is locked... etc...etc...

I logged back in a bit ago and was pretty pissed off about the fact that i paid for the full retail version, as well as like 4 months of subs and I would now still have to buy locked character races, at least half of which I still had existing characters made of.

I also found it annoying that it locked all buy 2 of the already made characters down. I couldn't even have logged into them to remove their tradeable items.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    I logged back in a bit ago and was pretty pissed off about the fact that i paid for the full retail version, as well as like 4 months of subs and I would now still have to buy locked character races, at least half of which I still had existing characters made of.

I also found it annoying that it locked all buy 2 of the already made characters down. I couldn't even have logged into them to remove their tradeable items.
    It is strange. If you were a subscriber once, you should now be a preferred status player. Preferred player get 6 character slot. Are you sure you didn't create a brand new account rather than using your old one?

here is the detail for the OP

http://www.swtor.com/free/features

To get to preferred status, you only need to spend $5 on the cash shop (one month sub works too). I would advice you to just do that, $5, that's all you need. With this $5, you can buy action bar (though you'd get 4 at preferred status, that 48 button, i find it plenty) or bag space, or even cosmetic option like hiding your helmet or matching color to your chest piece.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't too bad and is certainly worth at least giving it a shot since it would cost you nothing to do so. Myself, I subbed for a month during the Thanksgiving double XP weekend and just made a bunch of characters of various races that are locked to f2p and preferred. I also used one of those referral things (I think those are still around) to get the extra 7 days of sub time. With that, every character also gets in the mail when you a few unlocks like display titles, matching armor colors, and an extra row of bag space (don't use that right away since the first one you can buy for like 5k credits). I then used some of the cartel coins to buy the account wide hide helm and then tried to level as many characters as I could to at least level 15 to buy the first speeder piloting since it is way cheaper for subs.

Since then I have been playing as preferred with little issue. The only restrictions I run into now are the limited loot rolls in flashpoints and getting less credits from missions since they lock out the credit box rewards. It says f2p/preferred get less XP after level 20 as well but I am not sure how much. I usually just do all the missions I can including the bonus series ones and toss in a few flashpoints to make sure I am in the right level range before moving on to the next planet. Now, I don't play all that much and only play for the leveling so I don't know how things are at max level but I have been able to enjoy leveling up a few characters well enough.

Next double xp weekend is april 11th. I'd recommend you try it out this week. If it's fun than it's worth one month sub during the double xp weekend just to unlock everything. There are quite a few guides on transitioning from sub to preferred.