Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tisane View Post
    And so it begins! When an alpha phase begins it always feel like an opening ceremony. I love opening ceremonies.

Time to stalk MMOC full-time the next 24 hours for WoD data!
    I'm just wondering if the new file system they are going to be using might delay any datamining, I don't know how that works so I dunno if it will, but I guess we shall see

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    "So called"? >_> They literally say to expect datamining... you sure you read it?
    They did say that but they also used the phrase "some data mining" meaning not complete datamining of the client

A note to all those saying Blizzard is being slow, or people trying to call the beta/release date, please keep in mind that WoD has been in alpha since Blizzcon and it's just now open to people other than press or special guests. Blizzard has had a long time to work on it since then so saying we'll be in MoP for 10 months onthe soel purpose of an Alpha announcement would be rather silly. If it's in alpha, it's probably a late alpha (but still an overall early version of the game) that wont last for too long before beta. It's more than likely they are just keeping us in the dark atm which isn't too outlandish when it comes to blizzard.
    Last edited by Mellrod; 2014-04-04 at 12:05 AM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is what people need to notice

"Alpha" is just what we're calling the start of our public testing period this time around.
    as quoted by lore.

http://gyazo.com/ca02d6928d8d964c877697f8add3f681

as a source

Deleted
    Don´t get too excited about alpha...

Do you stream or are a regular streamer ?

If the answer is no ----> wait for closed beta my friend >_<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkgego View Post
    Don´t get too excited about alpha...

Do you stream or are a regular streamer ?

If the answer is no ----> wait for closed beta my friend >_<
    Exactly, Press will get their hands on it well before any average Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mellrod View Post
    A note to all those saying Blizzard is being slow, or people trying to call the beta/release date, please keep in mind that WoD has been in alpha since Blizzcon and it's just now open to people other than press or special guests. Blizzard has had a long time to work on it since then so saying we'll be in MoP for 10 months onthe soel purpose of an Alpha announcement would be rather silly. If it's in alpha, it's probably a late alpha (but still an overall early version of the game) that wont last for too long before beta. It's more than likely they are just keeping us in the dark atm which isn't too outlandish when it comes to blizzard.
    What you had there wasn't exactly WoD alpha... was more a current 5.4 with shrink, new models and effects and a seriously limited early leveling experience for one new map. No new systems, no Garrisons, nothing that will be the real deal for implementing and working on. Things that would be really going alpha testing. Blizzcon was far from alpha testing... more like a "demo" to "show".
    Last edited by VanishO2; 2014-04-04 at 12:26 AM.

s part of this, we’ll begin using public servers to host the data, which means you may begin seeing some datamined information show up in the usual places.

You heard them Boub. Get mining!

Quote Originally Posted by fionawower View Post
    Some like it slow.
    Stop giving me boners

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    Stop giving me boners
    Well, that escalated quickly

(GET IT ?!?!)
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

People seem to forget that Development takes a long time. The Alpha stage, either internal or external, means there is a workable product. Alpha's are intended to test the major mechanics and systems in the game, not all the bells and whistles. No one is testing it publicly yet, not the media or friends and family. Thats what the announcement is in parallel with the new framework. So do not fool yourself and think you will see a fully fleshed out game in the Alpha stage.

That said, Blizzard is pretty good about having workable copies and I would not expect it to be long before they start calling it a Beta. I am personally excited to see the new system and how that will work out. WOW is one of the longest running, definitely the most successful, MMORPG's ever released and for good reason. Blizzard is all about the polish and fine tuning and making sure they release a game better then any other competitor. Are there any left out there that have not already gone free to play? Are there any others out there where the Developers actually listen to their players and make changes to the game based on those suggestions or needs?

In the end, you choose to play. You want to see something better, then send them a suggestion with a constructive solution.

Stood in the Fire TheRealDavidTwo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "As part of this, we’ll begin using public servers to host the data, which means you may begin seeing some datamined information show up in the usual places."

Does that mean there's no NDA, or is this only referencing class changes and what-not?

Quote Originally Posted by sys01 View Post
    This really has a Burning Crusade smell to it, same thing happened back then, they slowly started with FF Alpha, then Beta etc, and then the final product was pure awesomeness, at least for the times then...
    Nothing says "pure awesomeness" like instances and raids bugged to impossibility, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Several more months of SoO, good thing we got other games to play while we wait!

10+ Year Old Account
    well, here's to hoping the modders will figure out this one quickly.
    I need my mods for WoW. :<

Looks like they're aiming to release this close to WoW's 10th anniversary.

Or Warcraft's 20th. :P

Alpha doesnt mean Blizzard is slow and/or stupid, it means that this expansion actually takes alot more work than the usual ones that start out with a beta. Blizzard wants to get this expansion right for once, so they aren't taking their time any more than they are taking precautions. Calm down folks - blind hate gets us no where, and neither do logical fallacies.
    Pretty sure ALL expansions had an alpha - it's stupid not to. It's just that this time due to them strongly indicating that this expansion was further along than previous ones had been, they made us think WoD was coming earlier in the year and then dumped it back to later in the year. The problem is basically too long final tier and the feeling (accurate or not) that WoD has been delayed. This makes the alpha seem more "visible" than previous expansion. The biggest thing really is that WoD has been a bit of a PR disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    Judging from past alphas of past expacs it's about 6 months from release so, October...

So depressing knowing that we're only HALFWAY thru SoO.. WTF
    I predict November - mainly because I don't think they can get it done before then and I also think they will be VERY keen to be able to release it before the "latest date" they published. Ultimately though.... what we think about when it's released is like throwing dice in the air and seeing where they land.... we will know, when we know.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artemishowl View Post
    They said that was the worst-case scenario date, are you new?
    Read more carefully.... he (or she) clearly said "or earlier".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    it's not `F&F` alpha it's a `public` one, that mean it's a bit far more in development
    and it's going to be without NDA, so guess they give up on it with such leakers and dataminers around, so ye expect lots of info..

Not sure about that tbh: "One of our goals for this very early stage of the Alpha is to test out some new technology in the wild with employees and friends and family". SOUNDS very much like F&F to me!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    And MoPaQ worked just fine for the last 9 years. There is some ulterior motive to switching to the new format. IF it aint broke dont fix it.
    Maybe... it "works" ok - but it just too slow a format to keep up with the changes to the game? It causes fps issues when your computer cannot decode it fast enough? etc etc. All kinds of reasons to change to a new file format. How many times has NTFS been updated since it was first used in Windows NT for example?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by byZodi View Post
    This is what people need to notice

"Alpha" is just what we're calling the start of our public testing period this time around.
    as quoted by lore.
    Which tbh is just standard Blizzard "non-speak". Alpha is just what they are calling it...... is because that is what it is. Saying it this way - a very Blizzard like way - just tries to obfuscate what is really happening, although not by much as they have clearly defined it as employees and friends and family. So basically just a normal F&F Alpha. Nothing surprising here however.

That new file system...o.O. Will it increase performance of the game on newer setups with the latest processors and such? I hope!

10+ Year Old Account
    The b.net chat is just so great!