View Poll Results: Do you care about what happens to people who are not connected to you directly?

Voters
121. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I care about other strangers.

59 48.76%
  • No, I do not care about other strangers.

46 38.02%
  • I don't know.

12 9.92%
  • Other.

4 3.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Depends on what happens to them and why.

I care about strangers as much as anyone can, I suppose. I may not know them or ever meet them, but they are real people. They have feelings and emotions; things that make them happy, things that make them sad. They were carried in the womb and born into this life, just like me.

However, it is easy for me to recognize the suffering of others as something that happens all the time, and that there is nothing I can do about it. Anything could happen to any of us, at any given time. I don't tend to get choked up over bad things happening that are out of my control.

Natural disasters are unfortunate, but they happen often and many more people will lose their life or way of life because of them. Nature does not discriminate or seek to harm us on purpose. The best we can do is lend a hand if needed, but there is no obligation to do so.

It does make me feel bad inside when people do harmful things to other people. But again, those things are out of my control, and people will continue to harm each other for the rest of time. The most I can do is to avoid causing harm to the people that I encounter. That, I do have control over.

I don't know a single person on this forum, but I care about all of you, because I recognize that there is a real, living, breathing human being behind the username and avatar. There are people that care about you and people who you care about.

I might not agree with everything I read here, but if I were to cross paths with any one of you IRL, I would show you the same kindness, love and care I show to anyone who crosses my path, because to me, there are no strangers. We are all brothers and sisters just trying to make sense of a world we were involuntarily born into.

/ehug

Deleted
    There's so much misery in the world that it's impossible to truly care about it all. You kind of have to prioritize or it'll overwhelm you. And you need to keep an eye on your own neighbourhood first; for example, my biggest concerns for the moment are the events of Ukraine and Russia, because that shit can easily escalate into something really serious, thanks to ruskies and their imperialistic attitude. Sure, right now more people die every day in Africa and Middle East in their never-ending civil wars, but as much as I dislike it, it's not our primary concern.

I try to empathize with the plights of others, try to imagine what they're going through. Sometimes I'll send my good vibes out to them. But I don't care enough to do any more about it.

In this we are assuming to have choice, so for this post I'm entertaining that thought. Why would you only care in what you deem as tragedy? Is it impossible to just care for wanting to feel positive? Hell I can care before the land opens and liquid rock kills the family, I can care for what they say as they express the loss and i can care when the loved ones they continue life with become so much more important to them because they know what loss is.

Why does ones pain become something to avoid? Without the pain, you'd never grow. In fact I feel confused when someone calls pain a bad thing, as if that one persons intent is the only meaning to the design. Give me that same person in 10 years and they could not be who they become without that pain. Why do you only care about the pain when the pain is some of the strongest moments of change in life?

I feel we as people fail to respect and cherish our pain. For this weak pain you feel could be oh-so much more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I have my own problems to worry about.

Depends on the country. If half of the continent of Europe got wiped off the face of the Earth ehhh not really. If 'Murica got nuked i be gettin mah guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    We have had multiple threads of white people complaining that black people were offended over some racist thing some white person said.
    Here we have a thread of white people offended over something some racist black person said.
    The key difference is that the white people in this thread aren't being told "shut up stop being offended get over it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    I've noticed a lot of people are not very altruistic at all. I've seen many people express indifference at the unfortunate plight of other people in things like natural disasters, ranging from on the other side of the world to just the earthquake in Haiti.

Are you one of those people or not?

I personally find it difficult to empathize with anyone, let alone people on the other side of the world, but I try my best to simulate it and end up feeling like I do care about all of them, ultimately.
    Yes, when I hear of something bad that's happened to someone, even a stranger, I am able to feel empathy for that person because I'm human, understand how much their situation probably sucks and how much it would if it had been me. Human intelligence allows this... We're not toads sitting there unmoved and lacking the intelligence to understand anything about the other toad three feet away getting squashed by a car.

Honestly it returns a tiny speck of faith in humanity by the number of countries that have gotten involved to some extent or other to join in to try to find that airplane... Clearly the ability to care across boarders it's relatively universal.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-04-04 at 02:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I care to the extent that I can care. There are 7 billion people on this planet, I cannot be emotionally invested in all of them, nor is there anything I can do about most of them. But any tragedy is tragic.
    Putin khuliyo

So, the difference between you caring or not caring is determined by arbitrary political boundaries that the persons affected essentially had no control over.

K.
    Yea, pretty much. I'm not going to sugarcoat it to make it sound more empathetic or less arbitrary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Not in the least, I care about us as a species. But on the day to day level I could really care less whether my neighbor even existed.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Yea, pretty much. I'm not going to sugarcoat it to make it sound more empathetic or less arbitrary.
    If you agree with me, which you seem to since you said "Yea, pretty much," then that means that you must also realize that your position makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

If there was a stranger dying in front of me I'd take a picture then walk away. I've done similar already.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I've done similar already.
    Thanks for confessing to an act that is punishable under the criminal penal code of nearly every single Western country.

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of self professed psycopaths here on MMO-Champion.

The strange part of it is they consider it a point of pride. Whatever you consider your proudest achievements, I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    If there was a stranger dying in front of me I'd take a picture then walk away. I've done similar already.
    Aren't you the same guy who openly wondered what underage girls' butts smell like in another thread?

I hope someone calls the cops on you. You're sick.
    Last edited by Randec; 2014-04-04 at 05:26 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I care to the extent that I can care. There are 7 billion people on this planet, I cannot be emotionally invested in all of them, nor is there anything I can do about most of them. But any tragedy is tragic.
    This sums up my feelings.

I know that I only seem to be capable of genuinely caring when there's some emotional touchstone for me. If I hear, "50 die in plane crash", all I really think is, "oh, that sucks". If I hear, "marathoner struck by car", I immediately empathize. Not morally defensible, but it's how I'm built.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I mean I think well that sucks for them but, other than that no not really. Me feeling bad for them doesn't help them out in any way and I wouldn't want complete strangers to worry about something that happened to me if there is nothing they can do about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do generally care about everyone. I believe everyone shouldn't have to suffer. My reasons are because I'm not an ass and also I'd generally don't want to suffer myself if I ever felt like an ass(Karma of sorts).
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

If you agree with me, which you seem to since you said "Yea, pretty much," then that means that you must also realize that your position makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    It's arbitrary but there is sense to it. I have an emotional attachment to my home country. I frequently go there and interact with the people. I have nothing emotionally invested in Kiribati.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?