Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I hope they will have BoP profession items that are not exclusive or better than other options, but are perhaps cheaper or more convenient.
    Examples:
    Alchemists get longer flasks and maybe bottomless potions.
    Blacksmiths can repair their own items at anvils and pay less to do it.
    Tailors can upgrade their bags to get a few extra slots.
    Engineer gadgets have limited uses for non-engineers but are unlimited for engineers.

They should go with things like this. I hated having to level professions for combat benefits, but these kind of things would be great. Make me want to level the profession without making me feel like its mandatory for maxing my combat performance.

This is the way it should be. Professions in an MMO should never, NEVER give a combat advantage over the people who choose not to level them. Contrary to popular belief, some people actually hate crafting in games. I am one of them. I have hated over the years how some games basically forced you to level a profession to stay competitive or viable according to the community at large. Sorry if I would rather spend my time in game actually fighting, questing, dungeoning, etc instead of picking flowers or mining ore.

Crafting should ALWAYS be about superfluous stuff, never any kind of mandatory or strongly recommended stuff. Any game from this point forward that has crafting giving people combat boosts or any kind of advantage over other people who choose not to pursue it, is doing it wrong IMO.

Deleted
    I think it's right that they shouldn't have combat benefits tied to them. What I would like to see is some more "fun" things for all professions, be it vanity items, mounts, pets or whatever. I know that engineering is basically meant to be the "fun" prof, but it would be nice for some others to get some too.

This change is fucking bullshit.

I read that the development team wanted us to choose professions for reasons other than the combat perks, but what that translates into is "level what you want, or don't level anything, it no longer matters". Missed opportunity. FUUUUCCCCCCKKK!!! Why not just give every profession to everyone now, since there is no benefit to combat. A lot of professions were leveled specifically for those benefits, and by the sound of things now, who fucking cares?!?!?

I've heard similar arguments from other jack wagon slackers in the community that took a break, didn't get a legendary cloak, and then are bitching that the players with a cloak had such an advantage over them, and it wasn't fair. Yeah? Well, no shit. they put the time in to make their cloak, and they should have an advantage over returning players who didn't put the time into the cloak. Same thing applies. I have 11 toons on a single server with hand selected professions, meant specifically for their leveling and raiding bonuses. I'm not going to put any real effort into raising them. The pride in knowing I have a certain advantage over others that didn't is gone. Most crafting benefits will be overwritten as soon as the first LFR's come out, so, again, why fucking bother?

If the main goal of the development team was to instill a "why bother?" attitude in the most serious players, they hit a grand slam here.

Quote Originally Posted by Melusine View Post
    This change is fucking bullshit.

I read that the development team wanted us to choose professions for reasons other than the combat perks, but what that translates into is "level what you want, or don't level anything, it no longer matters". Missed opportunity. FUUUUCCCCCCKKK!!! Why not just give every profession to everyone now, since there is no benefit to combat. A lot of professions were leveled specifically for those benefits, and by the sound of things now, who fucking cares?!?!?

I've heard similar arguments from other jack wagon slackers in the community that took a break, didn't get a legendary cloak, and then are bitching that the players with a cloak had such an advantage over them, and it wasn't fair. Yeah? Well, no shit. they put the time in to make their cloak, and they should have an advantage over returning players who didn't put the time into the cloak. Same thing applies. I have 11 toons on a single server with hand selected professions, meant specifically for their leveling and raiding bonuses. I'm not going to put any real effort into raising them. The pride in knowing I have a certain advantage over others that didn't is gone. Most crafting benefits will be overwritten as soon as the first LFR's come out, so, again, why fucking bother?

If the main goal of the development team was to instill a "why bother?" attitude in the most serious players, they hit a grand slam here.
    Translation: Waaaaahhhhhh! One more way that I can no longer be a special little snowflake! How dare Blizzard take away something that could give me an advantage over other players who play just as much as I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr Storm View Post
    Translation: Waaaaahhhhhh! One more way that I can no longer be a special little snowflake! How dare Blizzard take away something that could give me an advantage over other players who play just as much as I do!
    You sound quite bitter.
    Anyways the small bonuses were the only thing keeping professions somewhat relevant. Without who the fuck cares. 30 days for some shitty item that drops every two meters.

Combat perks made some professions a necessity. There was people with four of five alts and all had Engineering + Something Else. Warlocks ran Tailoring/Engineering or Herbalism/Engineering and isn't fun. You want professions to make money and craft with not for combat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    You sound quite bitter.
    Anyways the small bonuses were the only thing keeping professions somewhat relevant.
    Well, if you exclude the financial gain and the ease of having your own crafters for gems/glyphs/enchants etc then yes combat bonuses were the only thing keeping professions relevant...

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    You sound quite bitter.
    Anyways the small bonuses were the only thing keeping professions somewhat relevant. Without who the fuck cares. 30 days for some shitty item that drops every two meters.
    Not even the slightest bit bitter. I stopped playing WoW shortly after Cataclysm dropped. I'm just merely pointing out that he/she was being way to over the top with their statement.
    Last edited by Zephyr Storm; 2014-04-23 at 08:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not even the slightest bit bitter.
    Aye that much was obvious, he's just ad homining, talking nonsense, I didn't take JC for the combat benefits, I took it to save me a ton of cash and earn a ton of cash, same with blacksmithing and leatherworking. Lets face it 1% of people raid the rest don't and only raiders care about the combat bonuses, the vast majorit of players use professions for their main purpose, to craft stuff, thats why they are relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    This.

The TBC model, where some pieces (i.e. hard khorium battleplate) were BiS or near BiS. Make the mats really rare, or laborious to collect, or really expensive. Make the patterns rare BoP as well, something to make the items non-trivial to acquire but still on an equal power level to at least normal mode raiding. Gives non-raiders something to do, gives raiders another path toward raid-worthy gear
    I so much support this...I loved professions in TBC even if they were mandatory for classes...because raid is not mandatory...dailies is not mandatory, dungeons are not mandatory in order to raid.. wow is full of mandatory activities, why the problem is the mandatory professions?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Just saw that change, I'm really not happy about it. I have 5 characters who are engineer + something else and I am working on the 6th. I don't use my professions to make money but to craft stuff for my toons and for the combat bonuses. It's part of min maxing a character. Why taking away this possibility from the people who want to do it? Simply because some people are not willing to do so? That's a bad move from Blizzard I think.
    "I win because I'm a ninja. I kill everybody else because they suck ass. To even play a rogue takes an enormous amount of skill beyond what noobs like you could even imagine." Kishkumen, World of Roguecraft 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a fan of this personally.

I'm honestly a fan of being able of min/maxxing. I prefer having to max out 10 different thing as opposed to 3 or 4 things. And the amount of things to focus on have dropped consistenly since Wrath.

Not much I can do about it of course, but it still sucks regardless.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

My god this argument is used for seriously every post about wow it seems

I dont play WoW anymore but I always felt that there should be things to separate those that were dedicated and those that werent. Professions were a piece of that pie and it saddens me that they are removing it. Players should be rewarded by putting in more work than the person who logs in to raid and nothing else, allowing some form of character progression outside of raid RNG is good for the game. The only thing I was always against in affecting combat was race because that isnt something you can freely change without having to spend real life money to do so, yet ofc that is still in the game for god knows why.

Now most professions will be what can earn me the most gold for everyone, boooooring

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    I dont play WoW anymore but I always felt that there should be things to separate those that were dedicated and those that werent. Professions were a piece of that pie and it saddens me that they are removing it. Players should be rewarded by putting in more work than the person who logs in to raid and nothing else, allowing some form of character progression outside of raid RNG is good for the game. The only thing I was always against in affecting combat was race because that isnt something you can freely change without having to spend real life money to do so, yet ofc that is still in the game for god knows why.
    I prefer the no direct-combat benefit model, not because I don't like min/maxing, but because I don't want to be forced to choose a profession I don't like. I may be antiquated, but I still enjoy the "RPG" aspect of the game, and my DK SHOULD be a blacksmith....not a tailor. If tailoring gave a larger combat benefit than BS, well I'd be a bit pissed. Same for racial bonuses. That doesn't mean that I don't think people should be rewarded for effort and time spent, but I'd like to those rewards to be for effort and dedication, not making an arbitrary decision (i.e. everyone MUST be an orc and an engineer) because it offers the most combat benefit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    I don't like min/maxing, but because I don't want to be forced to choose a profession I don't like.
    You never had to. Unless you were bleeding edge in pve, or playing in WotLK for PvP, no profession swap was ever mandatory, and you could remain competitive even without it in those situations.

The only people this change benefits is people too lazy to level ANY professions.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

The removal of stat combat perks will upsetting for those who levelled a profession otherwise not utilised well for their character (tailoring for melee enchant on a rogue etc), which could have perhaps been better handled by normalising the bonus so that every profession gave an identical stat bonus as a perk for the progression in it.
    It would however still make professions feel necessary, and people would be judged very harshly for not taking them up.
    The community is downright horrible in that respect.

Ultimately this was never going to be a perfect solution, nor would the alternative of the normalised bonuses.

However the advantage of one over another simply had to be changed, whether people like that or not.

If we can get honest answers, then nobody should be able to say that one profession should simply be better in combat than another.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-05-02 at 12:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    Also taking in to account most if not all of these developers come from progressively liberal schools and their ideology is bleeding over to the game i.e everyone should be equal. In this case why should someone just because they went to the time and expense of leveling two primary professions like leatherworking and jewel crafting for example, get the benefit of a +500 wrist enchant and better gems giving them a slight advantage in PVP over those that only level one or none?
    It's sad how they need that extra boost to be competitive, skill sure is hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    The only people this change benefits is people too lazy to level ANY professions.
    Source? Where the sun don't shine? The people with 2 production professions are in the minority, most have mining or some other gathering skill. Hardcore PvP/PvErs are the exception, not the rule.
    Last edited by Baracuda; 2014-05-02 at 12:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanimus View Post
    You never had to. Unless you were bleeding edge in pve, or playing in WotLK for PvP, no profession swap was ever mandatory, and you could remain competitive even without it in those situations.

Sorry but I enjoy gathering, and I also enjoy cutting edge progression, which inherently requires min-maxing, so I can't have gathering on my main, which is the toon I am out in the world with more than 90% of the time. So I have to level an alt to gather with instead, which will of course have weaker gear compared to my main, meaning more time spent fighting random mobs that aggro near nodes.

There are a good number of people who min-max who are happy about this change, professions should have never been given stat boosts in the first place. Non-combat perks like 2 hour flasks and super cheap enchants are enough for professions, I shouldn't have to have 2 professions that I don't like because I need +640 stats to be min-maxed .

Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    Sorry but I enjoy gathering, and I also enjoy cutting edge progression, which inherently requires min-maxing, so I can't have gathering on my main, which is the toon I am out in the world with more than 90% of the time. So I have to level an alt to gather with instead, which will of course have weaker gear compared to my main, meaning more time spent fighting random mobs that aggro near nodes.

There are a good number of people who min-max who are happy about this change, professions should have never been given stat boosts in the first place. Non-combat perks like 2 hour flasks and super cheap enchants are enough for professions, I shouldn't have to have 2 professions that I don't like because I need +640 stats to be min-maxed .
    I had skinning/LW the entire time I was raiding in my HM progression guild. Which is now realm first.

Seriously, professions don't matter unless you're in Paragon. Swapping between professions to chase the most optimal one was downright silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.