Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

Professions no longer have combat benefit perks tied to them.

So just seen this in the patch notes.

Professions only matter for making gold now?

Which should have happened long before now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    So just seen this in the patch notes.

Professions only matter for making gold now?
    Seems so. I've been mostly using them for fun and profit anyway, with the combat benefits not really mattering, outside of not having any double gathering toons. I don't mind the change much, but it seems a shame that people will have less incentive to actually level their professions.

I'm hoping they make up for this nerf by improving the things you can do with professions, to make them fun and useful. To make them relevant and WANTED again, not for their combat benefit, but because you can do awesome thinsg with them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then please for the love of the Old Gods: STOP NERFING ENGINEERING'S FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Seems so. I've been mostly using them for fun and profit anyway, with the combat benefits not really mattering, outside of not having any double gathering toons. I don't mind the change much, but it seems a shame that people will have less incentive to actually level their professions.

I'm hoping they make up for this nerf by improving the things you can do with professions, to make them fun and useful. To make them relevant and WANTED again, not for their combat benefit, but because you can do awesome thinsg with them.
    Some professions were selected purely for their combat benefits, as they were a small but desirable throughput increase.
    I welcome the change, though I can understand how that is going to concern engineers.
    That is more the fault of blizzard making engineering the outlier, the "fun" and gimmicky profession in the first place.
    Though it might have been hard to do it as anything else.

Will need to watch what happens with the professions, particularly engineering.

Engineering has been hurt by the core design, which should have been addressed a long time ago imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

That means Tinker is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Randomdude17 View Post
    I had been against the idea of tinker due to the considerable clash with the engineering profession, and any skills being granted to one being denied to or limiting the other.
    That does actually open it up a lot more as a future possibility, though only blizzard can know at this point whether that is planned.
    Best not to read too much into it, as really that change was long overdue, and perhaps should never have been an issue in the first place.
    But mistakes are there to be learned from.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad Blizzard didn't literally just sell boosts for them without telling everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Espe View Post
    I have, unfortunately, interacted with Randec on these forums before. I know what to expect from him.

Hate it I like going tailoring/engineering for burst on some of the classes i play. Could they not have made the "perks" account wide once u leveled a profession to max instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Randec View Post
    I'm glad Blizzard didn't literally just sell boosts for them without telling everyone.
    It had been stated a while back that the combat benefits of professions weren't a mechanic they were happy with.
    Anyone who boosted a profession, particularly engineering with the assumption that they wouldn't be touched was quite frankly naive bordering on stupid.
    A very strong hint of this change was there for anyone willing to open their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by worstpvperus View Post
    Hate it I like going tailoring/engineering for burst on some of the classes i play. Could they not have made the "perks" account wide once u leveled a profession to max instead.
    And then making levelling every profession mandatory for those combat perks, for you would be hurting your performance on any character if you did not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp, looks like I keep Skinning for another few years on my Druid. RIP Engineering and all the mats I saved up.

7+ Year Old Account
    I am actually extremely pissed off about this. I have tailoring on seven characters that do not use cloth right now, and I farmed all the mats for six of them, bought them for the other. So now they are completely worthless?

Awesome. How about instead of removing combat benefit perks, they just MAKE THEM ALL THE SAME? 320 primary stat. Right now anyway :P

Am I going to have to drop tailoring simply because they do not use cloth? This is absolutely garbage.

I'd still take engineering for other things. But the fact that I now have a completely worthless (Omg I can sell shitty bags! yaaay!) to them just really pisses me off.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Welp, looks like I keep Skinning for another few years on my Druid. RIP Engineering and all the mats I saved up.
    Engineering is still worth going for imo. I hate playing my non-engineers
    You're a towel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man I am very happy . I can finally level gathering professions and crafting professions like they were meant to be. For FUN. Not for combat means. And hey, less cooldowns for me to worry about. I am happy. Solid patch notes

This is actually one change I'm absolutely chuffed about. Engineering is literally one of the worst professions for profitability and was only taken for its combat benefit. I'm actually hoping it becomes something useful to have instead of just being a min/max requirement. However, it would've been nice to hear more about the revamps to Jewelcrafting and Enchanting. They're going to be quite drastically different compared to now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    This is actually one change I'm absolutely chuffed about. Engineering is literally one of the worst professions for profitability and was only taken for its combat benefit. I'm actually hoping it becomes something useful to have instead of just being a min/max requirement. However, it would've been nice to hear more about the revamps to Jewelcrafting and Enchanting. They're going to be quite drastically different compared to now.
    Don't forget Inscription, now 60% more useless

This has probably been my biggest request with each expansion since WotLK, glad to finally see it pushed through, I can now gather on my raiding main and do not need a semi-geared alt to farm on.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I pretty much took professions only for their combat benefit--so basically that just removes this part of the game for me. Fairly sure that's bad and if a lot of other people go my way... Well, I'm just not sure what the point of any non-enchanting profession will be. This is a real head scratcher.

I'll probably go herb/alchemy. Possibly herb/skinning would be even better. I can't really see the point of anything else. Will be nice to gather herbs on main, I suppose. To be honest... Why be anything but a gatherer in this world? Do they really not want us leveling professions at all.

Agree changes look nice in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Randomdude17 View Post
    Why's that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Time to learn engineering on every single char I plan to raid with! Cause knowing blizz they won't count nitro boosts as a "direct combat benefit".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they'll finally look into that "for making gold" thing for engineers.

Would be nice for the first time in nine years.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.