Thread: low memory ui

low memory ui

Halp!
    I'm playing on a very low end laptop, 3gb memory, built in graphics chip, etc. I'm currently doing 25 mans and generally get about 20-30 fps as it is, dropping lower during heavy aoe and whatnot. To combat fps issues, I've been only using what I feel is a minimum for my ui, including DBM, Skada, tellmewhen, and the action bars addon that comes along with the Razer Naga.
    I am not a very big fan of the default blizzard unitframes, however, and would like to know if theres some frames addon out there that wont kill my framerate and memory usage. Are there any addons you guys would recommend? (have tried Elvui, that drops my frames too much)
    Last edited by Ulven; 2014-04-04 at 10:32 AM.
    Ulvi - Level 90 Holy Paladin - Whisperwind US

Sig by Shyama

There's a difference between memory usage and cpu usage. Only the latter will affect your FPS significantly. It's called the space-time tradeoff. You should rarely care about the memory usage of an addon unless it is extremely inefficient. Unfortunately, memory usage being a problem is the first and easiest to blame for performance, most likely because the standard UI doesn't report CPU usage.

Today I learned.

Is there a way to easily find out which addons have high cpu usage?
    Ulvi - Level 90 Holy Paladin - Whisperwind US

Sig by Shyama

There is no easy way. You'll have to use an addon that is specifically coded to track addon CPU usage (Consumption, IIRC), use an addon that has a built in module that tracks CPU usage across the board (Healbot), or trust what the addon creator says about CPU usage (BigWigs creator signature).
    Last edited by Woogs; 2014-04-04 at 11:34 AM.

Turn off Skada and see if your fps is better during aoe

Deleted
    Combat log addons are generally quite memory heavy, especially the more people that are involved.

To be fair, the only realistic thing you can to affect your FPS in a major way is to lower the graphical settings and not put too much stress on the computer while you're playing. A laptop with 3 gigs of memory and an integrated graphics card (it's only fair to assume that the CPU is on the same level) is going to struggle, especially with a lot of people on the screen.

I have a mid-to-high end laptop designed to be compatible with gaming (not calling it "built for", don't jump down my throat), it has a proper Nvidia graphics card that it uses instead of the integrated GPU (which is shit) and I get some drops in FPS in 25 man raids, playing the game at about medium to high graphic levels. For your computer, it's going to struggle regardless of what addons you're using.

Even high-end hardware struggles to run wow maxed out at 60fps during 25m raiding.
    As stated by another, memory usage just as a number is a useless measure to judge a UI on, only being highly visible making people jump to lots of incorrect conclusions.
    There are addon means of measuring CPU usage, but since that comes with an overhead it is best used sparingly, as it does have an additional impact on performance during the polling.
    Addon Usage @ curse is one such addon for measuring it.

The game client is likely to be using 1gb or more, so really silly of people to get worked up over 10mb.

Wow is still very reliant on the CPU, rather than the GPU and even then isn't utilising multi-core CPU's well, benefiting more from fewer but faster cores.

If you had issues with ONLY ElvUI running, then perhaps the issue is your hardware or the graphics settings rather than the addons.
    You aren't going to get much lighter on CPU usage than that, especially not if you started getting separate addons.

Try running without any in a populated zone like a town for a comparison.
    Ctrl+R by default will toggle an FPS display on the screen.
    See if there is much difference when not running any.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-04-04 at 11:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Addon Usage @ curse is one such addon for measuring it.
    tried this out for shit 'n giggles.. wth this cant be right? move anything, doom cooldown, and omni cc is using 95% of my CPU, omni is even using more then skada in a LFR
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by kittycovox View Post
    tried this out for shit 'n giggles.. wth this cant be right? move anything, doom cooldown, and omni cc is using 95% of my CPU, omni is even using more then skada in a LFR
    All those tools use the built-in blizzard profiler to track what is using CPU, so it is just the UI thrown over the top that shows it. You *might* be seeing that OmniCC happens to have the implementation of, eg, Ace3 that is picked and gets credited incorrectly, but that shouldn't make a difference.

It really is just surprisingly high CPU consumption. I have a plan to find something else to replace it some time, because it shows up super-high on my list when I profile my client too.

The number is relative.
    Not the total use of your CPU, but the proportion of it that is used by addons.
    So an addon that is at 50% is using half of what your addons are currently.

Libraries do cause issues, as the first loaded one will be attributed the usage of anything else which later utilises it.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

The number is relative.

Libraries do cause issues, as the first loaded one will be attributed the usage of anything else which later utilises it.

im prob way to tired but the way you mean it is

out of the 100% wow uses for addons those addons using 95% of them. rest of the addons using the last 5?

also; libraries?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

im prob way to tired but the way you mean it is

out of the 100% wow uses for addons those addons using 95% of them. rest of the addons using the last 5?

also; libraries?
    Libraries are shared resources, code which is used between several addons.
    Ace3 is such an example, where basically it saves authors having to recreate the same code over and over again, when someone else has already done it.

If multiple addons are using the same version of that library, then it gets loaded once and others can reference it.
    However CPU and memory usage of later addons can be mistakenly attributed to either the library, or the first addon to utilise it.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-04-05 at 02:09 AM.

The number is relative.

Oh, haha. I should have checked out the recommended addon, not just assumed it worked the same as mine. I use Broker_CPU which lists the time used by addons in seconds of CPU activity. That is a much more useful measure, because it gives me the absolute cost, not the relative cost, of running that addon.

In which world OmniCC is still pretty surprisingly high on the list of things that eat CPU.

Anyway, if you are trying to figure out what is causing problems Broker_CPU might be more useful. I was able to see that after fifteen minutes of gameplay, for example, the "trade chat forwarding" addon I had ate about three minutes of CPU time, and that led me to disable it and figure out what caused that constant, painful skip in the UI.

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    Oh, haha. I should have checked out the recommended addon, not just assumed it worked the same as mine. I use Broker_CPU which lists the time used by addons in seconds of CPU activity. That is a much more useful measure, because it gives me the absolute cost, not the relative cost, of running that addon.

In which world OmniCC is still pretty surprisingly high on the list of things that eat CPU.

Anyway, if you are trying to figure out what is causing problems Broker_CPU might be more useful. I was able to see that after fifteen minutes of gameplay, for example, the "trade chat forwarding" addon I had ate about three minutes of CPU time, and that led me to disable it and figure out what caused that constant, painful skip in the UI.
    There was a more useful addon called OptionHouse, but that has not been updated in quite some time.
    I read that someone was using a personally fixed version (can't recall who), but they stated there was no intent to release it.

If you're inexperienced with this sort of stuff (no offence) and don't understand what libraries an addon uses/bundles, your best bet would be to disable all your addons except for the addon you wish to profile. That way you can accurately measure the true CPU usage of that addon.

Flat out measuring all your addons at the same time is a good way to measure the general CPU usage of your UI to see if that usage is acceptable or not to you.

Also, yes, OmniCC will use a large chunk of CPU. That's "normal" as there's no real better way to do it. On a positive note, WoW 6.0 will have a cooldown count built in as a UI feature (how many years has it been now...?), so hopefully OmniCC won't be required.
    https://github.com/funkydude - https://github.com/BigWigsMods
    Author of BadBoy, BasicChatMods, BigWigs, BFAInvasionTimer, SexyMap, and more...

Quote Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
    If you're inexperienced with this sort of stuff (no offence) and don't understand what libraries an addon uses/bundles, your best bet would be to disable all your addons except for the addon you wish to profile. That way you can accurately measure the true CPU usage of that addon.

Flat out measuring all your addons at the same time is a good way to measure the general CPU usage of your UI to see if that usage is acceptable or not to you.

Also, yes, OmniCC will use a large chunk of CPU. That's "normal" as there's no real better way to do it. On a positive note, WoW 6.0 will have a cooldown count built in as a UI feature (how many years has it been now...?), so hopefully OmniCC won't be required.
    A built in one ?
    First I have heard of this, would be welcome.
    Though I do wonder if the likes of OmniCC would still be useful for counters to those which are not part of the default UI, unless the new default implementation can be extended substantially.