Poll: Would you be in favor of this?

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Remove Profession bonuses in WoD

I am always in favor of making the game as balanced as possible and making choices based on preference rather then Min/maxing when it comes to professions and racials. I feel like this would make professions more fun.

Make the "bonuses" more like quality of life bonuses rather then DPS bonuses.

Enchanters: All weapon enchants for yourself do not require the epic "shards".
    Engineering: Jeeves/Mailbox/out of combat sprint and goblin glider.
    JC: Green quality gems are bumped to Blue quality (or blue to epic when they put in epic) when you us them on your gear.
    Alchemy: Extended flask time
    Tailoring: Free leg enchant

BS:?
    LW:?

Would you be in favor of this?
    What would your bonuses be?

With the new gearing system, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking and Tailoring could potentially become very interesting and lucrative.

Or a dull, grindy mess, either one.

Either way, I don't really feel the need for professions to give an inherent bonus to their user, beyond maybe minor stuff, but instead be a service that could be provided to others (either for payment, or collectively as a guild effort).
    Would also mean that gathering professions wouldn't be necessarily relegated to alts.

An emphatic no. Stop removing things already. Add something...

Considering how much a ballache it is to level up new professions when they decide to make professions weaker than others (JC actually being the weakest crafting profession for some classes, like Ret Paladin, as you're giving up Str/Haste or Exp/Haste gems for Str, which only work out better because it's a fuckton of Str), I agree. Either make the benefits the same across the board (Primary stat only or secondary stat only) or remove them in favour of cheaper/non-combat utility functions.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they remove anything else then I really will not be playing this game ever again. Let's just keep the list as short as it is for now, okay?
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    If they remove anything else then I really will not be playing this game ever again. Let's just keep the list as short as it is for now, okay?
    Sometimes you need to remove stuff to add stuff. 'no more proff bonuses' sounds bad if you view it without context. 'Make proff choices meaningful and proffs fun and interesting again' doesn't.

Yes, I don't like being forced to be a blacksmith on every single toon just because I want to pve.

Professions are supposed to make you money, not a money sink where you pay mr gold farmer 30k to get your mandatory +300stat buffs for raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Sometimes you need to remove stuff to add stuff. 'no more proff bonuses' sounds bad if you view it without context. 'Make proff choices meaningful and proffs fun and interesting again' doesn't.
    I don't really see how qol changes would equal to being meaningful, fun or interesting. Actually I am for quite the opposite as in give the perks a lot more value.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluttershy View Post
    Yes, I don't like being forced to be a blacksmith on every single toon just because I want to pve.
    Yeah...right. That's totally the case.

Stop this bloody balance talk. If everything gets streamlined we'll have a crappy game. Professions are already very linear. I want to make an item like the Stormherald or Lionheart Executioner again! Professions nowadays are predictable and boring..

Quote Originally Posted by cFortyfive View Post
    I don't really see how qol changes would equal to being meaningful, fun or interesting. Actually I am for quite the opposite as in give the perks a lot more value.
    -Player wants to get into a serious raiding guild
    -Player looks up optimal build
    -Optimal build includes two professions which are the absolute undeniably best for player's class and spec
    -Player has no choice but to pick those two and only those two professions.

And beyond those perks, what are professions really? What's a blacksmith more than someone who makes belt buckles ad nauseam? That fancy sword he just made? Useless now that there's an upgrade in this raid here.

I would like to be able to have gathering professions. Either give them the same primary stat bonus or just allow all characters to have whatever gathering profession they want along with their main 2 professions.

-Player wants to get into a serious raiding guild
    -Player looks up optimal build
    -Optimal build includes two professions which are the absolute undeniably best for player's class and spec
    -Player has no choice but to pick those two and only those two professions.

And beyond those perks, what are professions really? What's a blacksmith more than someone who makes belt buckles ad nauseam? That fancy sword he just made? Useless now that there's an upgrade in this raid here.
    Show me a raiding guild that requires their raiders to have specific professions. Once you do that, I will point out that they are so high level and require so much more than just that, that switching professions is a total non-factor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Removal? No. Balance? Yes.

Currently the "combat bonuses" for Enchanting, JC, Blacksmith and Alchemy are almost equal, and Engineering is slightly ahead (due to the burst potential), however I like that they are all implemented in interesting ways.

Leatherworking bonus however is far ahead and that should be bought in line.

I will be happy if the overall bonus from each profession is within a 2% delta of each other.

Perhaps that still forces the absolute hardcore min/maxers to pick one at least, however even the QoL changes you suggest will be theorycrafted to shit and min/maxed, so it wouldn't change much for them anyway.

For the rest of us 2% of a tiny buff like 320 primary stats isn't enough to pigeon hole us.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

15+ Year Old Account
    I chose enchanting and tailoring. I'm a priest. Seemed like they were meaningful choices to me. Also, I find them fun and interesting.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Show me a raiding guild that requires their raiders to have specific professions. Once you do that, I will point out that they are so high level and require so much more than just that, that switching professions is a total non-factor.
    My guild. 10/14 heroic. Already paid 25 dollars to change my dk who has been BE since the beginning of wrath to an Orc because they asked me to. And by asked I mean politely instructed me to do so. Same with professions but I've fought that one even though I'm using ones that are total shit for my class.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I chose enchanting and tailoring. I'm a priest. Seemed like they were meaningful choices to me. Also, I find them fun and interesting.
    And you're gimping yourself. That's the issue with professions. Yeah at a low-medium level they don't matter. But high level pve you've essentially made the "wrong" choice. Just like races. Really dumb to be honest. I dislike having to choose something because it's the highest damage output rather than because it's interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    100% yes, or give all professions the same bonus. I want to pick a profession because of the profession itself, not the stat buff it gives.

I support the removal of specific profession bonuses, make crafting something interesting instead of a static bonus along with a bunch of junk, the only new thing alchemy got this expansion? NOTHING just a lot of seen it all before. You want to know what cheap new content is, its a new pot that gives +400 int when the old one gave +240 int... Such innovation, such originality!

15+ Year Old Account
    Show me a raiding guild that requires their raiders to have specific professions.
    High end raiding guild don't even need to ask for this, you will be deemed unfit and not recruited.

An emphatic no. Stop removing things already. Add something...
    ^This

New things would be good

With the new gearing system, Blacksmithing, Leatherworking and Tailoring could potentially become very interesting and lucrative.

Or a dull, grindy mess, either one.

Either way, I don't really feel the need for professions to give an inherent bonus to their user, beyond maybe minor stuff, but instead be a service that could be provided to others (either for payment, or collectively as a guild effort).
    Would also mean that gathering professions wouldn't be necessarily relegated to alts.
    Yeah, I agree. Right now Mining/herbalism/skinning give very poor bonuses and are generally avoided on a main character (even though the dps boost from the other profs isn't that insane either). Rather then everyone rolling the profession with the best bonus it'd be fun to have the profession you actually like most.