Poll: What does Y? mean?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Y? = Why or Yes?

So, there has been a quite discussion with my friends on whether the y? means Yes? or Why?

I personally say that the word means Yes? Since the first alphabet of yes is Y which makes sense..but for some reason they call me stupid to think that and say that the y? means why.

Whenever someone calls me and i say y? they ask why I say Why... IT really bugs me.

So the question is..Is it Yes or Why?

Both, depending on the context.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

I always thought it was an extremely lazy way of saying "why".
    And that's probably what most will say, can't really see a situation where someone will use Y? as yes. Although I suppose it really depends heavily on context....

And I wish both would stop being so lazy and just type yes or why.

I always thought of "y?" meaning "Why?", and "y" meaning "Yes".
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Y is short for Yes on your computer, anyone that uses it to mean "why" needs to be hit round the head with a Dictionary for using text speak.

To me, it means a letter of the alphabet. Anyone who can't take the time to type a THREE FREAKING LETTER WORD and instead cause CONFUSION should rethink the way they type.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Y is short for Yes on your computer, anyone that uses it to mean "why" needs to be hit round the head with a Dictionary for using text speak.
    Y without a question mark, not "Y?",unless there's some obscure thing I'm missing, but I agree overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    It means "I'm too lazy to type words so you probably shouldn't bother replying to me".

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Y without a question mark, not "Y?",unless there's some obscure thing I'm missing, but I agree overall.
    Me: Hey Jester Joe
    You: y?
    Me: Why are you saying Why?
    You: Urgh...

Atleast that's how it is for me.

It's neither, it's the letter y.

Start using full words like a fucking adult.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter to me since I don't dignify people that can't spell out three letter words with a response.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Yes? And? You can see by my example y? can also mean yes in the right circumstance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll bet there is a very strong correlation between one's answer and their age.

I'm old and from an age of text prompts; "Y" is "yes" to me and always will be.

People from the era of text messaging will most likely view it as "why."

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I will always assume the person means yes. It doesn't matter though, anyone lazy enough to do this will be getting ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Yes? And? You can see by my example y? can also mean yes in the right circumstance.
    I meant more of I have literally never encountered a single person online who have tried to use Y? as a Yes?, since "?" is just one button and just a suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbzow View Post
    Me: Hey Jester Joe
    You: y?
    Me: Why are you saying Why?
    You: Urgh...

Atleast that's how it is for me.
    I'd rather choke on a lifesaver than do that, but like I said, usually people in my experience use "?" as an answer, not "Y?"

Deleted
    i hate people who use it, but many many years ago - y was always why.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see y as computer speak so anybody who uses it for why gives me a sign of confirmation, it has lead to some misunderstandings.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

Deleted
    The only context I can think of for "Y?" is somebody asking if the letter Y is the answer i.e. a missing letter on the show 'Wheel of Fortune'. I don't prefer it's usage but find that given context its use for either word is perfectly fine by other people.

Deleted
    I hate text speak, it often takes me longer to translate than to type it properly, time saving my ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    most....those with a minimal amount of intellect will know the answer. it depends on the situation or conversational context.