Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Blizzard just the god at making games?

All of their games are just a huge succes, even those that are just utterly out of no where like Hearthstone.
    If you look at twitch top 12, all recent blizzard games are in there.

Is blizzard just the best of the best or is this just luck on their part of games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

10 years ago, yes.
    They are well past their prime.

Honestly this is either flame bait or probably the most embarrassing thread I have ever seen on these forums. But yeah - they're the bestest, best, ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    All of their games are just a huge succes, even those that are just utterly out of no where like Hearthstone.
    If you look at twitch top 12, all recent blizzard games are in there.

Is blizzard just the best of the best or is this just luck on their part of games.
    Blizzard has three major, well established series that they've been riding for almost 20 years. So... maybe? They certainly make good games, but not having a single new IP in that period of time is somewhat odd.

popularity doesn't make you god, despite john lennon's words

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    popularity doesn't make you god, despite john lennon's words
    That quote is taken entirely out of context, for what it's worth.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA View Post
    i know, i just realized i butchered it from what he meant

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA View Post
    Have proof of this? If so, please share. If not, then do not share.

7-10 years ago mby.

I don't see heroes of the storm anywhere on twitch, that game will be a huge flop unless they completely redesign it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by snackfeat View Post
    I don't see heroes of the storm anywhere on twitch, that game will be a huge flop unless they completely redesign it.
    Game isn't even out yet lol

And ESO is already below WoW on twitch, after a few days.

And ESO is brand new and WoW 10years lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Ever since they first came onto the scene in the 90s it was clear they were something a bit different. They made really well rounded games and never sacrificed quality to meet a Christmas deadline (you kids might not know but that was unheard of at the time, even the best studios released buggy half built games due to company pressure). If a game wasn't up to scratch they canned it and just didn't release anything for a few years. They also had a knack for looking at a genre, taking all the best things of the successful games and dropping all the bad bits, then adding their own spin, flavour and a lot of polish. That's served them well over the years and now they have a few really solid franchises and dominate their chosen genres.

So yeah they're one of the powerhouse studios, like Bioware and Lucasarts (once upon a time... RIP).

Quote Originally Posted by Dekkers View Post
    10 years ago, yes.
    They are well past their prime.
    Not really. If anything they're bigger now.

Quote Originally Posted by tjanson View Post
    Blizzard has three major, well established series that they've been riding for almost 20 years. So... maybe? They certainly make good games, but not having a single new IP in that period of time is somewhat odd.
    They're kind of like the PC equivalent of Nintendo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i wouldnt say theyre gods as theyve basically been riding the same three ips since basically theyre creation. dont get me wrong i really like the lore in all their games but the fact that they basically havent been able to branch out from their original titles is somewhat alarming. titan was supposed to be their branch out ip and look at what happened to it, they basically started from scratch after several years (at least its been rumored to have been going on for several years).

im sure i come off as a blizzard hater but i also feel like the quality of their games has went down as well with sc2 being the exception. hearthstone will probably net them some good cash due to how accessible it is but the game, i feel, lacks any real major depth or complexity. i feel like other mobas, LoL and Dota2, have a fairly firm grip on that genre, unless the gameplay in hots is just overwhelmingly amazing and game changing it most likely wont do any real damage to the aforementioned two. naturally the game will generate a fair amount of buzz and quite a bit of initial activity but i dont think the lasting power will be nearly as great.

i continue to follow WoW because i like the story and lore and hope that one day i find the desire to play again, i was fairly disappointed with d3 so unfortunately i wont be following that game as closely and i really have no interest in hearthstone or heroes of the storm. fortunately i really like what theyve done with sc2 and am eagerly awaiting he third expansion.

tldr - no i dont think theyre gods, i think they make pretty decent quality games but unfortunately, outside of diablo, warcraft and sc2, they really arent innovative.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boub's loading screen stream literally has double the views than the highest ESO stream. So.. yea..

No they are not, however they are great at getting many people to play their games (propaganda), their games aren't really "good" they are more "addictive" instead, just like heroin is more addicting than beer.

Not as good as they used to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I sure think they make awesome games.
    Yes that includes Diablo III with all its flaws.

I adore their artistic style, thats why their games just hit my taste buds right where it counts.

But I would refrain from calling them (or anyone else) the best. because that entirely depends on the taste of the person you ask. Just because a game isn't to your liking doesn't mean its bad per say.

Deleted
    Since when does Twitch tell if a game is good or not ?

Despite the criticism people like to target Blizzard with, they are truly unique in the gaming industry, with three huge and sprawling IPs that are the undisputed kings of their chosen genre. They constantly update, change and fix all their games through their own Battle.net, with both patches and expansions, they have their own convention, and they just have a crazy fanbase because of how well established their universes are. It's easy to see why you would generate a cult with all these things, you can almost be a fan of Blizzard games like you can with TV series, with constant development and continuity. Heck, even people being here, arguing about their games, is a win as it creates more buzz and it shows you care about the games enough to do it and spend your time on it even outside playing.

People will argue about popular not meaning best, but honestly, best is subjective, popularity is based on objective numbers. the "used to be better" argument I would categorize as nostalgia for the most part, things are always the most exciting in the beginning, and when you've played their games for years and years, gone through expansions, patches and sequels, you won't get that "new and exciting" feeling.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-04-04 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalira View Post
    Boub's loading screen stream literally has double the views than the highest ESO stream. So.. yea..
    So what you are saying is that ESO players are playing their game and WOW players are watching a stream of a several years old loading screen? Go team WOW! Fuck you ESO and your gameplay! We got loading screens!