Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

Verizon Wireless - Pay $5 less on new phone contract vs a new customer.. seriously?

So, I've been a customer of Verizon Wireless for many years. I decided its time to upgrade my old smart phone for a Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm eligible for a upgrade on my device. So I go to pre-order the Galaxy S5... and find out... I'm more or less paying the same exact price as a brand new Verizon Customer (I save $5) and because I've had my plan for so many years, I still have unlimited data plan (which will end when I upgrade)

So I go talk to a sales rep online wondering if indeed this is how they treat long time customers. Sadly yes, she told me there was nothing she could do, and the price is the price.

Someone MUST know some trick-er-ation to get these tight bastards (ironic me calling them tight I know) to give me a discount.

Looking for suggestions!

FYI: I'm anti AT&T

10+ Year Old Account
    You're lucky you're even paying less than a new customer. Usually long term customers get shit on because they are ineligible for those new customer discounts that last a year then they jack up your bill with fees out the ass.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    You're lucky you're even paying less than a new customer. Usually long term customers get shit on because they are ineligible for those new customer discounts that last a year then they jack up your bill with fees out the ass.
    Have to second that.
    How many deals do you see around which are normally "brand new customers only", and penalising loyalty.
    I don't think there are many positive things you can say about mobile operators, but this is a rare exception.

Usually draw you in, screw you over and you just have to live with it due to the hassle/consequences of going to someone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just find it really odd, most companies I do business with for any length of time, are willing offer me more bells and whistles while lowering my bill. Verizon is so far the first company not willing to go that extra mile to keep me. I'm wondering if this is really their stance or if you have to push them a little harder to make them give you a better offer

Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post
    So, I've been a customer of Verizon Wireless for many years. I decided its time to upgrade my old smart phone for a Samsung Galaxy S5. I'm eligible for a upgrade on my device. So I go to pre-order the Galaxy S5... and find out... I'm more or less paying the same exact price as a brand new Verizon Customer (I save $5) and because I've had my plan for so many years, I still have unlimited data plan (which will end when I upgrade)

So I go talk to a sales rep online wondering if indeed this is how they treat long time customers. Sadly yes, she told me there was nothing she could do, and the price is the price.

Someone MUST know some trick-er-ation to get these tight bastards (ironic me calling them tight I know) to give me a discount.

Looking for suggestions!

What is your bill every month? Is it over 50 bucks a month? If it is you should just switch carriers.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is your bill every month? Is it over 50 bucks a month? If it is you should just switch carriers.
    I'm paying well beyond that. $92 (was $80 but my company discount was changed from 20% to 8% for some reason)
    450 minutes
    unlimited text
    unlimited data (grandfathered in, will change if I upgrade)
    extras: (included in the $92 monthly fee)
    road side assistance ($3)
    equipment protection ($3)

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    the big four charge similar prices... only way around is if you go with a small carrier like boost, cricket, etc and from what i heard not as reliable.

<--- sprint customer since 98, and wanted to change since 04 but honestly nothing i see is worth the time/effort so i stay...

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    the big four charge similar prices... only way around is if you go with a small carrier like boost, cricket, etc and from what i heard not as reliable.

<--- sprint customer since 98, and wanted to change since 04 but honestly nothing i see is worth the time/effort so i stay...
    Sprint still offers unlimited data. That's the only reason I hang around.
    I use absurd amounts of data.

15+ Year Old Account
    I gotta say, I love republic wireless. 21.64$ a month is pretty nice to pay.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

When my Verizon grandfathered unlimited plan was expiring, I switched to my girlfriend's Sprint family plan. I saved a ton of money (it's about $40/month) and it's still unlimited. The 4G coverage is shaky, it goes 3G about half the time even in the DC area, but I'm about as likely to be using WiFi as anything, so I can't really complain.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess verizon just really doesn't care about keep customers when competition is willing to offer service (maybe not as reliable) at a cheaper rate... :/

At T-Mobile I pay about $160 for four lines (one being a hotspot).

They paid for my early termination fees from Verizon and I can upgrade my phone every 6 months and I have unlimited talk and text. Data costs a little bit extra (which is a part of that 160), but the thing is if you go over it doesn't shut off or charge you extra...it just throttles the speed down a little bit.

That and I don't have a bullshit contract and the only thing I'm obligated to is the phone price which is just worked into the monthly plan.

With Verizon I had 2 lines and it costs me +$200/month (and that wasn't even unlimited stuff).
    Last edited by Serem; 2014-04-05 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    MMO-C is the depressing retirement home of world of warcraft. This is where all the old and retired players come to die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flam View Post

Looking for suggestions!

I also have the unlimited data plan. I don't use more than 1gb a month but I don't want a restriction so I haven't upgraded in almost 4 years. I'm going to be out of luck if my phone breaks though since I refuse to pay 400+ for a phone without a contract. I'm also on Verizon and would have switched years ago but honestly you get what you pay for and Verizon service is top notch around here. Other carriers are really lacking.

Your only option which I'm sure has already been mentioned (didn't read all the post) is to buy a phone out right. If you bring them a phone you can keep your data plan.

I would go with a 30 day free option from the shit companies like Tmobile, Cricket, Sprint and Virgen. I think they all offer a 30 day money back thing. Try their service out. I know in some areas they are good. Sadly anywhere near me they have dropped calls constantly or they never stay in 4g and their 3g is slower than other 3g speeds.
    Last edited by Stevecow; 2014-04-05 at 06:59 AM.
    I support a cash shop in WoW!