Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I did it. I traded a "bad" group of nice people for a good group of elitists

So im always asking this question, I think I even made a poll about it.

Would you rather play with NICE people who cant really get WoW bosses down or would you rather play with really good, elitists who do full clears every week?

Recently I've been going with a really good group of well coordinated people. And man are they good. The raid lead is just "ON IT", doesn't miss a thing, we have a solid relationship, he's just one of those players that GETS IT. The other tank and his wife(both druids) again really good solid people just my "WOW" factor goes up when I play with them... Ive established myself, not as the BEST dps but as a DPS who will ultimately give it my all and will correct myself as much as I can...

On the otherside of the spectrum I had a group of people who are "BAD". Now I put BAD in quotes because in my opinion they aren't BAD they just lack the knowledge and coordination and gear for SoO. They started the xpac really late and are trying to raid. But they are like REALLY REALLY nice. In their group I am the top DPS, the TOP healer etc. Really nice group of individuals who dont care if they dont get nothing down as long as they're happy and raiding.

Last night I made a tough call, and I chose to stay with the good group. Not because I wanted gear, its already late into MoP for that(imo), I stayed because I eventually want these "ELITISTS" to be the nice group I always ran with. But I fear i'll be waiting a while before that happens.

Overall I feel like the other non organized group could find someone nicer than me to run with them. Because everytime I play with them, I feel like im being a jerk, like im the elitist and that feels like shit especially with a hobby like WoW thats supposed to be FUN and not WORK. If I have to dread logging in, why even bother playing... At least thats how I feel about it.

Im just venting I guess.. Any thoughts?

Deleted
    You're implying all elitist are jerks. Stop that!

There's both bad and good players who are bad persons!
    You should be able to find a nice group of people who all are at the same level of commitment as you.
    Maybe that's easier said then done, but it's not impossible, far from it.

Good luck!

Is the implication here that these 'elitists' are not nice people? I'm just confused, if they are both nice and competent then I guess I don't see where your concern would be. Don't get me wrong, I've spent the past 2 years trying to find a guild of people who are both friendly and competent, I still haven't managed it. However, it comes down to eventually striking a balance between enough progression that you don't feel like screaming and enough decent personalities that you can stomach your comrades. The closest thing I found to a group that was competent that I could be good friends with turned on me with the only provocation being my questioning their moving to a different server without even talking to me about it (I was one of the officers). You just have to ask yourself, are these people making enough progress for me and are they decent enough people that you can speak with them and have fun. If both answers are yes then you have nothing to be ashamed of, none of us want to be at a point where we dread logging on because we have such contempt for our group (and I assure you, it's happened to me with a few different guilds).

That's because to them hanging out and socializing is more fun than slamming through content.

Its a different goal and you didn't fit in.

Wait and see how this new guild functions on new content, and see if you like that sort of atmosphere over the 'friends' guild you left.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats true. However in my PERSONAL experience, the elitists I hang around with are nice, to us in our bubble, but wont lift a finger if a stranger asks for help. I cant explain it.

Dont get me wrong they are genuinly nice people. But yea thats the problem. Finding a balance between the two.

Im pretty happy right now with this group. I guess im feeling guilty of feeling happy. idk.

I raid in a very good guild and consider most* of the guild to be really nice people and fun to spend most of my time awake playing with.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).

I rather play with good people, so I can improve, instead boosting casual group doing 50% or more raid dps. Also since WoW is game where you need pay2play so you can choose your target - mine would be play on highest level - and this is why I cannot waste time on casuals (now I don't play anyway, because I cannot find stable raiding guild - also since there is a lot of time before expansion, it is good to spend it NOT playing game).

Everyone is different, so maybe you do not like being focused on fight and boss mechanics, but this is what I really like in this game, same with pushing absolutely 100% dps possible
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Elitists are always bad.
    There are however skilled players who are not elitists, who you can want to work with.
    There are unskilled or inexperienced players who are people you want to work with.
    There are no "good" elitists.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    That's because to them hanging out and socializing is more fun than slamming through content.

Its a different goal and you didn't fit in.

Wait and see how this new guild functions on new content, and see if you like that sort of atmosphere over the 'friends' guild you left.
    The best guild I was in in WoW was also the guild with the nicest people, and that was a world top 50 guild. We had fun in raids and fun without raids. Was a really great time.

When I think about it, the only time I met "elitists" was in vanilla WoW or at the offical forum/mmo-c...

You people realize there's amazing players who are not dicks, too, right? And tons of shit players who're assholes? In fact, I met more arrogant bad players than arrogant good players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Elitists are always bad.
    There are however skilled players who are not elitists, who you can want to work with.
    There are unskilled or inexperienced players who are people you want to work with.
    There are no "good" elitists.

What's your grudge against people who want to do stuff at the absolutely fastest/most efficient way possible?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Overall I feel like the other non organized group could find someone nicer than me to run with them. Because everytime I play with them, I feel like im being a jerk, like im the elitist and that feels like shit especially with a hobby like WoW thats supposed to be FUN and not WORK. If I have to dread logging in, why even bother playing... At least thats how I feel about it.
    I do the same thing and I know the feeling. You should choose the group you prefer to play with, it's your gametime not theirs. You can always stay as an advisor for the lesser skilled group. Personally I'd choose the more efficient group over the trustrating one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosonia View Post
    Heroics are heroics for a reason.. if you cant do heroics, you cant raid.. its the proper path...
    ...Blizzard has gone the mile and added LFR for those people, but nerfing normal and hc modes is just plain stupid. The Burning Legion didn't get pushed back by lining up a thousand arcane mages spamming AB. It took work work work.

I think you are using the term elitist to also mean really good players which it doesn't really mean. An elitist is someone who values High performance to the point of seeing anything less than their ideal as inherently negative.You can be a Really good competent player and not be an elitist. That being said if you didn't feel like you fit in with the other group then that's that really as nice as they might have been they weren't what you were looking for in a guild and further kudos to you for recognizing that your own personal performance hang-ups might have ended up causing a negative impact on their group and removing your self before you caused guild drama.

The best guild I have ever been in was a hardcore raiding guild (top 100 world) where everything had to be perfect when raiding. I myself was among top 3 dps always, and was a part of the main group. I was in it with a RL mate of mine and the community was awesome. We were both a part of everything. Everyone valued our opinion and when we said "yeah this trial is good, keep him" people respected it and more often than not, just us saying that a guy was good was enough for the GM to promote them.

And I guess I myself is elitest. I see the act of wasting someone elses time as one of the greatest offenses you can do. And I frankly find the ungemmed and unenchanted guy who just spams fireball to be a waste of mine, and everyone elses time. I find people who seriosly join stuff like LFR without being able to properly play their class and be optimally gemmed/enchanted to be scumbags. If you wanna play with others, do your best. Strive to improve.
    Last edited by Zogarth; 2014-04-08 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arziko View Post
    What's your grudge against people who want to do stuff at the absolutely fastest/most efficient way possible?
    When you go to a fancy restaurant, you don't eat in the absolutely fastest, most efficient manner possible do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Arziko View Post
    THat doesn't make you an elitist though that just means you are just a person who like to excel at the game. the literal definition of an Elitist however is someone that thier performance makes them superior to any one who isn't on their level. just like being racist means you think other races are inferior or being sexist means you think other sexes are inferior being elitist means you think any one who isn't as good as you is inferior. it's an inherently negative descriptor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure where my line is, but I know I'd rather raid with a 14/14h group of jerks than a group of people I enjoy raiding with who're still in normals. Currently I'm in an 11/14h guild with nice people, so luckily I don't have to make the choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    When you go to a fancy restaurant, you don't eat in the absolutely fastest, most efficient manner possible do you?

When I go to a fancy restaurant the whole point of being there is to relax and have a good time with friends while eating and drinking.
    While playing WoW I could just quote Zogarth. He just put my thoughts on paper.

Don't take two different things and put them next to eachother and expect the same approach to different goals.

No, but when I go to a fancy restaurant, I tend not to leave late for the reservation, drive dozens of miles out of my way, stop every 2 miles for a bathroom break, or phone call, or somebody linking a stupid 'funny' video, or whatever. And I don't go with people who won't appreciate the food, nor with those who can't eat anything on the menu.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xayl1 View Post
    THat doesn't make you an elitist though that just means you are just a person who like to excel at the game. the literal definition of an Elitist however is someone that thier performance makes them superior to any one who isn't on their level. just like being racist means you think other races are inferior or being sexist means you think other sexes are inferior being elitist means you think any one who isn't as good as you is inferior. it's an inherently negative descriptor.

I usually see myself as an elitist but I would never look down on anyone for playing worse then me. But I do want everyone to reach their own full potential. If they need a carrot or a whip to get there... We'll see