Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Help me pick a Crusader Weapon!

'ello everyone!

I'm playing a Crusader, and so far came across three weapons with to me seems pretty equal in DPS, however one of them is probably way better. Currently running a Blessed Hammer build with all my spells being Lightning damage.

Here's the three weapons. I have a hard time deciding, please help me!

Also, the polearm reads "+1233-1555 Lightning Damage". How does this scale with all my items and spells? I have some items that increases lightning damage spells, and all my spells are lightning damage.
    Last edited by Ninsew; 2014-04-06 at 11:27 AM.

The damage type on the weapon does not matter and is not effected by or increased by % lightning bonus. You should pick the highest damage weapon unless one of the special abilities on the other two is worthwhile. There are a bunch of weapons (Shard of Hate, Thunderfury, Odyns Son, Schaeffers Hammer, Maximus etc) that have really powerful unique effects that make them punch well above their weight.

I've not seen any of those weapons you have drop before.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Cow polearm.

/thread

Deleted
    how is this even a question, baleful remnant > the other 2, the damage diffrence is huge and even tho the 1h has a nice bonus, it's not worth the dps loss

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    The damage type on the weapon does not matter and is not effected by or increased by % lightning bonus. You should pick the highest damage weapon unless one of the special abilities on the other two is worthwhile. There are a bunch of weapons (Shard of Hate, Thunderfury, Odyns Son, Schaeffers Hammer, Maximus etc) that have really powerful unique effects that make them punch well above their weight.

I've not seen any of those weapons you have drop before.
    While it doesn't matter for a elemental spec, there are many physical skills that actually use weapon damage.
    So if your weapon is 100-200 physical and 900-1800 lightning, your physical skills will be 90% lightning.
    Not sure if this applies to crusaders at all, but it sure doesn't apply to elemental skills.

OT: I would use baleful
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Baleful Remnent, the other two don't even come close. It's not even a remote contest. Having Blessed Hammer gain the Dominion rune is extremely strong, but it's a 1-hander. In almost every case but Thunderfury, a Crusader will want a 2-hander most likely.

Justinians mercy

You get a free rune and increased wrath. At the same time you are only losing -18 DPS compared to baleful which you will lose -19
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Justinians mercy

You get a free rune and increased wrath. At the same time you are only losing -18 DPS compared to baleful which you will lose -19
    You did not factor in the fact that he would place the gem from his main hand into the Baleful, making it clearly the better choice. Go with the Baleful.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Justinians mercy

Did you even notice Baleful does not have gem? From this 3 weapons Baleful wins hands down.

Me, I can't stand slow game-play so on that alone I'd go with the 1H.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Me, I can't stand slow game-play so on that alone I'd go with the 1H.
    You can't stand slow gameplay, so you'd like to kill things slower? I find your post very incoherent.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    You can't stand slow gameplay, so you'd like to kill things slower? I find your post very incoherent.
    You spend so much time running to the next group of monsters or objective, so yeah.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Would it be a better bet to play strategically with my Maximus, or go for raw damage in the Warmonger?
    There is fire crusader build so if you would make one the fire damage from maximus is insane. But for other builds I would go for Warmonger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    You spend so much time running to the next group of monsters or objective, so yeah.
    I would never switch from 2h to 1h as crusader. The damage loss is just too big. And I dont think so Im moving slow. I would prefer to use 2h and Pony than 1h.
    Last edited by Mamut; 2014-04-06 at 05:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a difference between actually going slower and feeling slower. The feel of a playstyle can outweigh the efficiency of another playstyle.

I'd agree that the Baleful is quite a lot better than the rest in this set up since the others don't have THAT impressive legendary perks but... I have a somewhat similar question. I suppose that in lieu of spamming this subsection I could just as well as the people who're already in here -

Which is the better of these two weapons?

The first one's demon summon is really, really, really good and the fire chain seems to do about 4 million damage per tick. That's enough to make a boss fall over really quickly on Torment while having the demon tank. However, positioning the fire chain and having the demon tank is not very easy vs. an actual full pack of elites and I'm not sure that it can overall compete with the raw damage of the Warmonger.

Would it be a better bet to play strategically with my Maximus, or go for raw damage in the Warmonger?
    If you use fire abilities Maximus is hands down better. If you don't use fire abilities then you should. Even without fire abilities though I'd say Maximus might still be better. Plus you get a giant demon that follows you around so that alone makes it worth the minimal damage loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootandkill View Post
    There's a difference between actually going slower and feeling slower.

I guess that could be true if your brain works very differently from mine. I can accept this argument for practically imperceptible differences, of the kind you'd need a damage meter to notice, but the difference between a 1h and a 2h is anything but.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

@OP - Reroll the fire damage roll on the Baleful to black damage and use that unless you were to swap to a holy build and use holy cause in which I'd tell you to roll the fire damage to holy damage. The only 1h weapons a crusader should ever consider are thunderfury/shard of hate, everything else will gimp you regardless of their added ability.

@EverythingNice - Use Maximus since the fire chains + demon damage is huge even if you're not a class with a fire spec. You could reroll the fire damage roll for some black damage or if it would allow you to reroll the +fire% damage into something such as attack speed which would increase the dps of the weapon.
    AddOns: Tim @ WoWInterface
    Characters: Mage, Priest, Devoker, Pally
    Battle Tag: Mysterio#11164
    Current PC Setup: PCPartPicker List

I guess that could be true if your brain works very differently from mine. I can accept this argument for practically imperceptible differences, of the kind you'd need a damage meter to notice, but the difference between a 1h and a 2h is anything but.
    Let me put it this way, the difference between moving at 110% & 125% movement speed is very perceivable to me. Maybe a 2H results in a net dps gain, all things considered (kill speed & travel speed), but I personally find the slower movement speed annoying (especially when I'm used to having 125% on every other class & non-HS Crusader) and it also limits my choice even more so of passives & skills.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2014-04-06 at 08:37 PM.

I'd agree that the Baleful is quite a lot better than the rest in this set up since the others don't have THAT impressive legendary perks but... I have a somewhat similar question. I suppose that in lieu of spamming this subsection I could just as well as the people who're already in here -

Which is the better of these two weapons?

The first one's demon summon is really, really, really good and the fire chain seems to do about 4 million damage per tick. That's enough to make a boss fall over really quickly on Torment while having the demon tank. However, positioning the fire chain and having the demon tank is not very easy vs. an actual full pack of elites and I'm not sure that it can overall compete with the raw damage of the Warmonger.

6% damage is NOTHING compared to the outrageous damage the fire chains does, Maximus. No contest even.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    While it doesn't matter for a elemental spec, there are many physical skills that actually use weapon damage.
    So if your weapon is 100-200 physical and 900-1800 lightning, your physical skills will be 90% lightning.
    Not sure if this applies to crusaders at all, but it sure doesn't apply to elemental skills.

OT: I would use baleful
    You have it wrong, the damage type on a weapon doesn't matter at all in 2.0. It has zero effect, the only difference is that currently due to a bug with % damage bonuses on weapons, only normal weapons gain the proper bonus (but that is something that only effects the weapon damage itself). As far as how it works for your class it doesn't matter if you have a weapon with bonus holy damage while using a lightning spell, you will still get the full weapon damage taken into account with your lightning spell.

It makes absolutely no difference at all. What I'm saying is that having % lightning bonus also does not effect the damage on your weapon, but only the damage of the spell. Spells treat all the damage types on a weapon as the same, poisen, holy, fire, lightning, physical.. its all the same as far as the spell calculation is concerned.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-04-06 at 09:39 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    You have it wrong, the damage type on a weapon doesn't matter at all in 2.0. It has zero effect, the only difference is that currently due to a bug with % damage bonuses on weapons, only normal weapons gain the proper bonus (but that is something that only effects the weapon damage itself). As far as how it works for your class it doesn't matter if you have a weapon with bonus holy damage while using a lightning spell, you will still get the full weapon damage taken into account with your lightning spell.

It makes absolutely no difference at all. What I'm saying is that having % lightning bonus also does not effect the damage on your weapon, but only the damage of the spell. Spells treat all the damage types on a weapon as the same, poisen, holy, fire, lightning, physical.. its all the same as far as the spell calculation is concerned.
    It's a big deal for a Crusader to have a holy damage weapon for the purposes of the Holy Cause passive.