Page 1 of 25
... LastLast
    Deleted

Entire UK has exams early because of Ramadan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dan-exams.html

I'd be against it if it was any religion for that matter. However I do think the obvious immigration matters in countries also correlate with this form of segregation and lack of wanting to adjust to a society. Keep in mind that this is an idea they have, so it's not actually been set in motion yet. Regardless a interesting discussion. So what do you think of forwarding an entire countries SATs, earlier than planned because a minority chooses not to eat?
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-04-06 at 02:14 PM.

Deleted
    You want to integrate your muslim immigrants, let them excel at school and such. This could perhaps help

Also there is a suggestion to have the test in the morning, since that would allow the muslims to not be completely starved.

this is disgusting.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Here's what I think. If there's a minority that's significant enough to cause a problem like that, it's better to move the date so everyone's on the same page than have it A) be moved to a different date for some people or B) ask anyone to go against their traditions or rituals for the sake of a majority. (Better than letting them fast during a major test like that, too.) It just works out better.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Here's what I think. If there's a minority that's significant enough to cause a problem like that, it's better to move the date so everyone's on the same page than have it A) be moved to a different date for some people or B) ask anyone to go against their traditions or rituals for the sake of a majority. (Better than letting them fast during a major test like that, too.) It just works out better.
    Or they could use their brains instead and focus on their future instead of "the feels" they get when honoring traditions from a book.

I would think it incredibly silly. Just as if it were held in the weekend and people refused to participate due to it being off days. Its exams - you need them. Deal with it. If you can't deal with it surely you can take it later with those who were sick the day of the exam.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    this is disgusting.
    Disgusting that they're moving a date to better convenience a decent amount of people who would otherwise be starved during a major exam? I'm not one to say religion should affect everyone's rules, but what's the better option here? Telling them not to fast? Because that would be disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    Disgusting that they're moving a date to better convenience a decent amount of people who would otherwise be starved during a major exam? I'm not one to say religion should affect everyone's rules, but what's the better option here? Telling them not to fast? Because that would be disgusting.
    I think the two are directly at odds with each other religion and higher learning, but to each their own I suppose.

Deleted
    Or they could use their brains instead and focus on their future instead of "the feels" they get when honoring traditions from a book.
    I would say it is pretty brainy to go through a period where you save money on food, to give that money to the poor. But that is just me of course.

But that's the thing. People are different. And some people would choose religion over school, as sucky as that is. Better to move the date for everybody and let them do well than force them to make a choice and punish them for the "wrong" one that their parents make them think is right. Doesn't have any negative effect. On anyone. I don't see the problem...

this is disgusting.
    Why do we specifically have holidays for Jewish people here in the US, and not all other religions? Jewish people make up a smaller minority population in size than other religions.

This is similar, and just a form of equality that needs to be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Lets cancel christmas break then. You arent even concentrating on the holiday portion, you are just spewing out vitriol against whatever race you hate.
    Chronomancer Club

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post

Lets cancel christmas break then.
    Lol I'm totally ok with cancelling all religiously based holidays or breaks and replacing them with neutral breaks placed in equal increments throughout the year, that have nothing to do with any of this.

If we did this for every religion out there we wouldn't be able to hold exams at all.

We are doing way too much pandering to Muslim sensibilities. Nobody forces them to be here. If they can't tolerate how we do things in Europe, they can gtfo. I'll welcome any decent, non-whining Muslim though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought that children were not meant to fast during Ramadan. But yes seems a bloody stupid idea if you ask me.

Lol I'm totally ok with cancelling all religiously based holidays or breaks and replacing them with neutral breaks placed in equal increments throughout the year, that have nothing to do with any of this.
    No one else will support you. We will always have holiday breaks defined within religious contexts as long as religion is still a thing. Why should a select few religions get all the holidays to celebrate their stuff, while an equally as big religion gets nothing.
    Chronomancer Club

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    I thought that children were not meant to fast during Ramadan. But yes seems a bloody stupid idea if you ask me.
    Only small children, so anything below circa 12.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    No one else will support you. We will always have holiday breaks defined within religious contexts as long as religion is still a thing. Why should a select few religions get all the holidays to celebrate their stuff, while an equally as big religion gets nothing.
    If they MUST get something then they should all get an equal amount of holidays /shrug

It's a grudging agreement to support more if necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the two are directly at odds with each other religion and higher learning, but to each their own I suppose.
    Your opinion is just your opinion.

What is higher learning? Sounds like a subjective term if undefined..

Religion and Science coexist just fine.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    Your opinion is just your opinion.

What is higher learning? Sounds like a subjective term if undefined..

Religion and Science coexist just fine.
    I have a hard time accepting that.

One promotes finding the truth through endless question, experimentation etc.

One promotes accepting a pre-ordained truth at face value.

i think they are whining a lot.

i am muslim, did my fasting from 3:30 AM till 8:30 PM and still did my exams when i was in the uk.

you are supposed to adapt, even if it is hard, it is part of your religion. one of the main reason you are fasting in the first place is to "feel" for the poorer humans who get no food for days.

Edit: i even broke my fasting for one of the days, and it is totally allowed (specially if you are there only to study and not permanent).
    Last edited by Mouri Kogorou; 2014-04-06 at 12:54 PM.