Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I find most real gameplay is muted by easier game play in another MMO. With WoW, a monk need only spin in circles and kill 12 mobs in 8 seconds. With SWTOR, there is real combat based on a more "earthly" set of combat rules. When trying to compare the two, it will make one feel more like a chore. However, as a Bounty hunter, well geared, and using Death from Above, I can do just as much damage to 10 mobs, almost as fast as that monk. Either way, I wish you luck in finding that balance and appreciating the different combat styles are based on different worlds. WoW is the only game I ever played where you could pull an entire instance, and live through it. Should have been a clue for me right then and there that I had way too much HP and attack power.
    I totally agree, WoW's leveling is a joke at the moment. In SWTOR pulling even 2 groups of mobs is very risky, and fighting two mobs labeled as "strong" of your level is generally pointless. And 2x heroics are very challenging to solo. In terms of difficulty, I find SWTOR quite satisfactory. However the difficulty is still not as high as for me to stay focused all the time and to really follow enemies' movements to react appropriately (but, I guess, all MMOs are like that these days). WoW breaks this monotony with some funny quests, Guild Wars 2 manages to hide them behind a wall of illusion which works quite well for me. But not SWTOR.

I don't really like either of these 3 games. Guild Wars 2 is the closest MMORPG I've seen since Ultima Online to what I consider an interesting game, but still... I will keep searching.

Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    Or you could y'know buy the Authorizations cheap off the AH or throw $5 in and get preferred status. Also unsure what you mean buy Yellow creidt buttons all over your UI. Since There is only 1 Cartel Coin button showing on my UI.

Also people saying Load screens deterred them, are you playing on a Potato? My SW:ToR loads in literally 8secs I timed it.
    The $5 does so little to remove restrictions it's almost not even worth it. Seriously, I bought the Digital CE at Launch, and I still had to pay another about $40 to Account-Wide Unlock stuff.

Yes, I know, $15 a month would fix everything. But then I'd have another issue. Gaining twice as much XP would make me out-level the friends I'm playing with. They're a mix of Preferred/100% Free, and some of them don't have the $15 to throw on SW:tOR. So as much as I'd love to just Sub and remove all restrictions, I really can't, unless Bioware has some special buff in place that could make only one of my toons gain 50% XP, while all the others get 100%.

It's a weird problem, I know.

About loading screens. If you want bad load times try to load up Marvel Heroes. The loading-the-Game Screen takes 6-8 Minutes (no joke, I've timed it!) to go away. I can listen to two songs on WinAmp before anything happens. I'm on an i5, 8GB RAM, a mid-range gfx card, and 14MB/s internet. SWtOR's screens are usually about 30 seconds or less, which isn't a killer.

toomanyrifts.blogspot.ca || A Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by willowe View Post
    About loading screens. If you want bad load times try to load up Marvel Heroes. The loading-the-Game Screen takes 6-8 Minutes (no joke, I've timed it!) to go away. I can listen to two songs on WinAmp before anything happens. I'm on an i5, 8GB RAM, a mid-range gfx card, and 14MB/s internet. SWtOR's screens are usually about 30 seconds or less, which isn't a killer.
    You might have a bad install, I've experienced this once or twice, but it would be in between certain content patches. Installing the game fresh at this point, and through Steam might improve it for you now. I no longer have similarly long load times, and I'm usually loaded in under a minute. I think there were problems with the original client and launcher which have been largely fixed, but Steam is a strong partner for it now.

The benefit to tying with Steam is it will carry over achievements when they go live, the existing auto-patching Steam does while left open & community/profile alerts, and purchasing G's now gets you steam trading cards that you can collect or sell for steam cash, which is a nice perk.
    Last edited by Gelda82; 2014-05-06 at 04:15 PM.

I can't wrap my head around the F2P complaints, I tried Lotro recently and my god, you can't quest after lvl 30 without "buying" a quest pack. Granted you can grind their points in game but it's very tedious when every 7 levels you realize you have to make and delete 10 more toons and run a specific route to buy your next quest pack.

Swtor's model may feel limited, but finding 2 cheap action bar unlocks on the gtn isn't hard and giving you the entire story for all the classes free is a great touch for a fan base who loves stories.

I enjoyed this game for the most part. I managed to level two classes to the 30-35 range before quitting on both.

My main gripes:
    - the questing experience started dwindling around the 4th planet. It wasn't as interactive as it had been during the starting zone and 2nd planet, and the quests in general were so spread out. It felt like I didn't spend a lot of time on the first few planets, which kept them fresh. then I'd hit the planet that's just a big ball of sand, and I'd lose interest.
    - The combat system isn't fluid. It's very much "stand still and do stuff" while the fake attack animations try to make it exciting. After having played the Wildstar beta these past two weekends, I wished that SWTOR would have been more like that. I don't think I would have left if the combat felt more involved.
    - As a gamer who enjoys end-game healing more than any other role, I felt the lack of mouse-over and click-to-heal methods were the final nail in the coffin. I really despise having to select a target first and then use my heal ability. It's slow and clunky. Mouseover healing is ideal, as there's simply one less click involved. Click-to-heal is also not bad, as you can select your heal ability, then click the target. Both of these methods ensure that you don't lose the primary target that you normally would have in combat.

BUT, I did like several things about the game. Notably:
    - The starting zone is one of the best experiences. They did a great job of giving each class a story that's engaging.
    - The professions system is pretty cool. Seems like most profs are viable for all classes.
    - The player's personal ship is probably the coolest. IDK, there's just something about being the captain of your own ship, having all the little rooms to wander around in, having your "crew" be there as well.
    - The companions are a nice touch, especially when they can be out gathering things while I'm occupied.

Anyway, it is a very good game. It just didn't feel smooth enough for my liking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
    - the questing experience started dwindling around the 4th planet. It wasn't as interactive as it had been during the starting zone and 2nd planet, and the quests in general were so spread out. It felt like I didn't spend a lot of time on the first few planets, which kept them fresh. then I'd hit the planet that's just a big ball of sand, and I'd lose interest.
    - The combat system isn't fluid. It's very much "stand still and do stuff" while the fake attack animations try to make it exciting. After having played the Wildstar beta these past two weekends, I wished that SWTOR would have been more like that. I don't think I would have left if the combat felt more involved.
    I think these two points are intertwined. The problem is, the combat is too slow paced, it takes a lot of time to just kill a usual "strong" mob. On the first planet, Ord Mantell, it took just a few hits to down any group I encountered, it felt quite fast paced and I actually enjoyed the gameplay. But after several planets the combat becomes really slow - I think, by the time I reached Taris I started yawning very often. Also, the number of abilities becomes overwhelming. They all have a very long cooldown, so you basically quickly use up everything you've got and then just wait for cooldowns to end to use those abilities again. It totally removes any strategical thinking: you will have to use up everything to down the mobs anyway, so it doesn't really matter in what order you do it, just mash buttons all the time. I would prefer having only a few abilities, like in Guild Wars 2, but all of them meaningful and unique, as opposed to having 20 different variations of "deal X damage".

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think these two points are intertwined. The problem is, the combat is too slow paced, it takes a lot of time to just kill a usual "strong" mob. On the first planet, Ord Mantell, it took just a few hits to down any group I encountered, it felt quite fast paced and I actually enjoyed the gameplay.
    While not combat specific, more than any other game TOR really tricks you right off the bat. The four newbie planets are probably the best and most complete zones I've ever played in a MMO. Then it drops you into Coruscant and Dromund Kaas and you're all like, "Whaaaaaaaaaat".

I find Tattooine to be the real jump in difficulty. Dromund Kaas/Corruscant and then Balmorra/Taris I don't find too much of a shock from the starter planets, more a natural progression. The I hit Tattooine and the mobs hit harder, the distances between areas grow and the levelling slows down dramatically.

So far I'm only managed to get one character to Alderaan, Tattooine just saps my enthusiasm.

So far I'm only managed to get one character to Alderaan, Tatooine just saps my enthusiasm.
    Tattooine is really where you need to start just "powering through it." Depending on how compelling your class story is and how immersed you are in it, different level ranges may feel more grindy and sloggish than others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Tattooine is really where you need to start just "powering through it." Depending on how compelling your class story is and how immersed you are in it, different level ranges may feel more grindy and sloggish than others.
    Tatooine was bearable. Belsavis howerer... Ugh! The worst was probably Corellia, a huge city with countless Imperials just staying there bored, and downing each group took over a minute with my tank Vanguard + Elara.

Belsavis howerer... Ugh! The worst was probably Corellia, a huge city with countless Imperials just staying there bored, and downing each group took over a minute with my tank Vanguard + Elara.
    Belsavis the first time through is pretty cool, least it was for me on my Sith Assassin. Got really boring, really fast after that. Voss is my most hated planet though (Hoth used to be), so close to 50 and being done with your class storyline it makes it just seem like every minute spent there just drags on.

Corellia was just annoying because I hit 50 partway through the main planet story EVERY time...so did not feel compelled to do it after that (I do now that Makeb added the 51-55 levels though) I just rushed through my last few class quests so I could head over to Makeb.

Have to say though, that after getting all 8 classes to 50+....it really only felt grindy on classes that wasn't really fun to level with. I LOVED playing on my DPS Guardian, DPS Operative, Marauder, and Wasn't bad on Healer Mercenary, DPS Assassin and Tanking Vanguard...HATED it on Healer Sage and Gunslinger.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That moment after you've taken a break from an MMO where you come back and it feels glorious again: having it now. This is like...my 4th time? returning to the game and it's always fun. Normally it runs out after a month, but I always forget just how many things they do that I love. I'm glad they make a killing on their cash shop so I know it isn't going anywhere for a while. Mmm huttball I have missed you.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Mmm huttball I have missed you.
    I never left but have gone over a year without ground pvp. Never knew I missed huttball...until now. Thanks!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamos77 View Post
    I never left but have gone over a year without ground pvp. Never knew I missed huttball...until now. Thanks!
    Jamos! Long time no see man! I'm glad to hear you are still playing. I have certainly missed my SWTOR action.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Jamos! Long time no see man! I'm glad to hear you are still playing. I have certainly missed my SWTOR action.
    Hiya mate. Nice to see you still checking up on TOR. It does indeed seem to be progressing in the right direction. Still many a thing I can whine about but overall I still have fun playing and so with the imminent stronghold patch and the Makeb-esque expansion (pls let it be Kashyyyk!) out before 2015, I can safely say I'll be around a while yet.

I recently added time to my account for the double XP weekend/housing promotion. Honestly, if my friends didn't still play WoW, I'd move to SWTOR fulltime. The story aspect is awesome and I love the companion mechanic. I've rarely found a class in any game that I enjoy as much as my trooper, too.

The only thing I dislike about the game is the redundancy while leveling; like it would be great if they added a few more planet options in the lower levels. It's not so bad during a double XP weekend but I have several alts all around level 30 and it's kind of like... I don't want to do Alderaan again.
    No surrender! 70 Vanguard - The Star Forge

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was possible to level only through class and planetary quests, I would play the hell out of this game: 8 classes, each with dark and side ways, and with two genders - basically 32 stories to play. Unfortunately, especially for non-subscribers, the XP received this way is too low to keep up with quest levels, so you either have to do a lot of flashpoints and PvP (I am not interested in either), or do almost all the sidequests (which ruin leveling for me completely).

Why, just why did they add all these "kill 40 droids"? This is Bioware, damn it, the best single-player story-based RPG maker in the world. Couldn't they come up with something more interesting than WoW-like grindy quests with counter increased by a factor of 5 or so?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    If it was possible to level only through class and planetary quests, I would play the hell out of this game: 8 classes, each with dark and side ways, and with two genders - basically 32 stories to play. Unfortunately, especially for non-subscribers, the XP received this way is too low to keep up with quest levels, so you either have to do a lot of flashpoints and PvP (I am not interested in either), or do almost all the sidequests (which ruin leveling for me completely).

Why, just why did they add all these "kill 40 droids"? This is Bioware, damn it, the best single-player story-based RPG maker in the world. Couldn't they come up with something more interesting than WoW-like grindy quests with counter increased by a factor of 5 or so?
    but it is possible, isn't it? or are you F2P so don't get the bonus XP from being sub?
    Honnestly, when i leveled my char, i had to skip side quest because i would out level content too much, and i wanted the content to be (a little bit) challenging, so i tried to always have my story quest yellow (right level).

heroic2+ and heroic4 gice tons of XP, so does flashpoint and battleground. Mix and match for gameplay variety and keep up with XP is you are F2P.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    but it is possible, isn't it? or are you F2P so don't get the bonus XP from being sub?
    Honnestly, when i leveled my char, i had to skip side quest because i would out level content too much, and i wanted the content to be (a little bit) challenging, so i tried to always have my story quest yellow (right level).

heroic2+ and heroic4 gice tons of XP, so does flashpoint and battleground. Mix and match for gameplay variety and keep up with XP is you are F2P.
    I am preferred so, yes, I don't get the XP bonus. I didn't do heroic quests because it usually takes too long to find any people willing to do them, but, aside from that, I did, pretty much, every single quest I could find and usually, at best, ended planets 1 level higher than the expected level (that is, if a planet is 38-42, I would end it at level 42-43). And I didn't run past mobs, I attacked, pretty much, everything I encountered on my way.

As for subscription... I played SWTOR as a single player game, for the story and characters. I don't like flashpoints and operations, PvP, I don't need artifact authorization. I pretty much don't need anything that subscribers get, except for XP bonus, and paying $15 a month solely for 25% XP boost does not cut it.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    then it's a choice you make, weighing the good and the bad, so that's ok. There are XP boost to buy and you get some as quest reward as well.