Pvp power or higher ilvl PVE item?

I took a look at the pvp power sticky and it didn't quite answer my question. I know the pvp power isn't calculated into the item's stats and serves as a bonus free stat. However, I currently am using the 2h ilvl 522 sword on my DK. But I recently picked up a ilvl 536 2h sword that also has a blue slot gem for a +60 str bonus. Would the new pve weapon be enough of an upgrade to use that over the 522 pvp weap? If not, at what point do I need the pve item to be before it's a better item for pvp purposes?

Deleted
    Hi
    PvP - Weapons have really much PVP-Power on them. So i would definetly go with PVP-Weapon.

If i understand correctly you want to know at wich ilvl its better to use a pve-weapon.
    I cant really tell but it must be really high ilvl because the pvp-power on pvp-weapons give something like 20 -25% more dmg in pvp.

I wouldn't use a pve weapon unless your pvp weapon is like 50 I levels below

In instanced PVP, the PVP gear will always win since the PVE gear ilvl will be reduced. In the open world you would need a large ilvl gap between the PVP and PVE weapon to make the PVE weapon better. Are you unholy or 2h frost? Unholy doesn't much care about weapon damage so in that case the PVP weapon will almost always be better. 2h frost greatly values weapon damage, but a +14 ilvl isn't anywhere near enough. 30+ and you should probably go with the PVE weapon though.

IIRC 400 PvP Power = 1% Damage

2H Grievous Sword has 7745 PvP Power = 19.4%* additional damage

Now since stat differences and the relative power of weapons differs for each class, there is no generic answer.

You have to weight whether the gain from your weapon is greater than the loss of almost 20% additional damage.

(I'd sincerely wager it's not and wouldn't be until Heroic SoO).

Deleted
    Current downscale is 526 ilvl for PVE gear. A 522 PVP weapon from honor destroys any 526 pve weapon. It 100% NEVER worth it.

ANY Grievous (522)+ iLvl PvP gear is way better than any level PvE gear, even heroic SoO gear. However, I would still use PvE pieces over Tyrannical(496) or lower. The Grievous weapon is a monsterous upgrade compared to any PvE weapon too. **Keep in mind this is ONLY for instanced PvP (BGs and Arena)... PvE Gear is more powerful in the outside world.**

Thanks for the great answers, didn't know PVE scales down, which negates the little bit of stat increase. Guess I'd need a ilvl 550 or more pve item to even consider it. Makes it easy at least! And yea, I'm doing 2h frost, so even more so that I stick with the PVP sword.

Edit: So just to confirm, the pvp power stat only applies in arena/bg? If world pvp you just use whatever has more stats and ignore pvp power?

Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    IIRC 400 PvP Power = 1% Damage

2H Grievous Sword has 7745 PvP Power = 19.4%* additional damage

Now since stat differences and the relative power of weapons differs for each class, there is no generic answer.

You have to weight whether the gain from your weapon is greater than the loss of almost 20% additional damage.

(I'd sincerely wager it's not and wouldn't be until Heroic SoO)
    It never would be for instanced PvP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post
    Thanks for the great answers, didn't know PVE scales down, which negates the little bit of stat increase. Guess I'd need a ilvl 550 or more pve item to even consider it. Makes it easy at least! And yea, I'm doing 2h frost, so even more so that I stick with the PVP sword.

Edit: So just to confirm, the pvp power stat only applies in arena/bg? If world pvp you just use whatever has more stats and ignore pvp power?
    PvE items scale down to the same ilvl no matter what they are. You would never ever want a PvE item in any instanced PvP. In WPvP this is all a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by zergslayer69 View Post

Pvp power applies in open world too

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    It never would be for instanced PvP.
    I was under the impression that everyone knew PvP items were obviously better for instanced PvP.

So far in this thread, my post is the only one not based on 'probably' or just repeating how PvP gear is superior in instanced PvP.

EDIT: Turns out the OP didn't know gear gets scaled down in instanced PvP, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ebarder View Post
    ANY Grievous (522)+ iLvl PvP gear is way better than any level PvE gear, even heroic SoO gear. However, I would still use PvE pieces over Tyrannical(496) or lower. The Grievous weapon is a monsterous upgrade compared to any PvE weapon too. **Keep in mind this is ONLY for instanced PvP (BGs and Arena)... PvE Gear is more powerful in the outside world.**
    The final bit is partly true. A player with say 530ish PVP gear would still be better off in World PVP than a player in 545ish PVE gear. The PVP power in close matchups would trump the ilevel difference from experience on the receiving and giving end. But yeah, if you're a PVEr looking to do casual BGs I'd think getting a weapon plus double trinkets would work. The weapon will pack a reasonable amount of PVP power whilst the resilience boosts will help out as well. It's what I'm going to pursue on my DK.

Pretty much. But it's not disastrous for a casual PVPer to run in with 545 odd PVE gear and have a bit of fun. I keep thinking 'I should gear myself up in some Honor gear'. Then I go into a Battleground and remember the clusterfuck that BGs are.

Another thing to keep in mind. (correct me if I am wrong) the level pve gear is scaled down to increases every week. I am not sure what week this will stop but it does make pve gear a little stronger every week. Cant wait to get my full set of pvp gear to make me more competitive in world pvp as I dont raid.

Interesting, ask mr robot often suggest pve over pvp for me, how accurate is this?

My char
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ostih/advanced

I have no clue what to buy for my points

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reveries1 View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind. (correct me if I am wrong) the level pve gear is scaled down to increases every week. I am not sure what week this will stop but it does make pve gear a little stronger every week. Cant wait to get my full set of pvp gear to make me more competitive in world pvp as I dont raid.
    In instanced pvp even if they allowed 550ilv pve in. The pvp gear would still be better hands down.

In world pvp the only time pve gear wins out is if you are fighting someone who has an ilv of around 575 or higher. Other than that, pvp gear wins out everytime.

The weps alone account for about 50% of your total pvp power.
    Last edited by Littlepinch; 2014-04-11 at 07:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roostah View Post
    Interesting, ask mr robot often suggest pve over pvp for me, how accurate is this?

My char
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ostih/advanced

I have no clue what to buy for my points
    Replace it all with honor gear, done in a day max on a fresh 90 if you spam bgs.
    Not important in what order.
    As for gems and such, dont enchant or gem for resilience as a dps.
    Its benefit is so tiny it is not noticeable.
    Go pure agi unless the socket bonus is agility then you go agi+mastery (bm) or agi+power.
    Reforge crit=mastery >>>>>>>>>> haste.

For marks you should keep some haste to keep steady casts somewhat reasonable, but even here go crit>mastery>haste.
    Use your cp on wep>proc trinket>2250 armor> 1750 armor>1250 stuff>pvp trinket.
    * Where you have a choice go for the items that yield the most crit+mastery

Quote Originally Posted by Ettan View Post
    Replace it all with honor gear, done in a day max on a fresh 90 if you spam bgs.
    Not important in what order.
    As for gems and such, dont enchant or gem for resilience as a dps.
    Its benefit is so tiny it is not noticeable.
    Go pure agi unless the socket bonus is agility then you go agi+mastery (bm) or agi+power.
    Reforge crit=mastery >>>>>>>>>> haste.

For marks you should keep some haste to keep steady casts somewhat reasonable, but even here go crit>mastery>haste.
    Use your cp on wep>proc trinket>2250 armor> 1750 armor>1250 stuff>pvp trinket.
    * Where you have a choice go for the items that yield the most crit+mastery
    wow missed this answer, thanks!!