Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Computer won't boot on reassembly

Hey guys,

I've just returned from abroad after transporting my PC via plane and am having a few technical issues.

My computer primarily, when reassembled from its component parts, booted to windows and on to my desktop. The computer then shut down randomly and restarted. From that point onwards it began to randomly restart from the windows loading screen, till eventually my PC will not even boot. I now get 5 seconds of whirling fans then a restart, not even a boot to bios.

I've tried trouble shooting all the obvious things, including an external assembly, reseating several times, checking power connections and changing the ram around, but no luck.

I do not have a motherboard speaker to test for any beeps. Are they expensive to buy? Should I be doing this?

The only things I can think that I may if done wrong are: area where computer was assembled was carpeted and I was barefoot, or heatsink seemed loose on 2nd reseat.

I had this blue screen error at one point: 0xc0000001

I am unable to test the parts on another system as I don't have a second one and do not know anyone in London, where I am, who can help.

My options seem to either go to a technician which costs £40 - the price of a new piece of ram/mb/PSU - and hope they can tell me which part is faulty.

Or, to buy a new MB/ram/PSU in the hope that one of them will replace the faulty part, and I will be able to keep the remaining parts for a second build, which I planned to do anyway.

Here is my set up:

I5 3470s
    Heatsink stock fan
    Corsair vengeance 1600 MHz 8gb
    Asus VE278N 27" Widescreen LED Monitor
    Corsair Graphite Series 230T Compact Mid Tower Case
    Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Motherboard
    Cooler master 500w thunder PSU

Here are the parts I'd like to order:

MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Series Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory
    Corsair Builder Series CX 600w Modular '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply (CP-9020060-UK)

The 2400 MHz ram is the same price as the 1600 MHz ram for some reason, I'm not sure if I'm missing something. I've been told 2400mhz is more ideal for multiboxing. Hopefully it isn't the processor which is busted. If it is I plan to buy the 4770k.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm pretty desperate!

Thank you!!
    Last edited by Ekkoeu; 2014-04-08 at 04:40 AM.

Enter the BIOS and check temperatures of the CPU.

Also test each memory module separately, one at a time (you mentioned you swapped them around but not if you tried them one by one).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post

Also test each memory module separately, one at a time (you mentioned you swapped them around but not if you tried them one by one).
    Hey, thank you for your help. I'm unable to boot to bios currently, so cannot check CPU temp.

Disconnect the hard drive/dvd-rom, anything connected via SATA and see if you can get it to post and get into the bios. Then reset it to default settings.

If you still can't post, remove the memory and insert only one module.

If you still can't post at all, possibly damage to the motherboard in transit, or less likely the cpu.

If it does post, reconnect your sata devices and make sure everything is seated properly and try to load windows.

If you get another BSOD, use your Windows disc (presuming Windows 7) and go to Repair, select the OS from the list then command prompt and use: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (if your windows installation is on a different drive, change it accordingly).

Your parts choices won't fare well, that motherboard is incompatible with your cpu, so you'd be looking at a new cpu as well. You need an LGA1155 motherboard, not an 1150.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-04-08 at 06:03 AM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Try swapping PSUs, sounds like a power supply issue to me. Either that or your mobo/CPU is damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

From the description I'm 99% sure its an overheating problem. The computer shut down to prevent overheating damage. If you try to reboot multiple time, at a point the CPU is so hot it won't even start for a period of time.

Check the CPU cooler/heatsink, clean the cpu cover and try to reapply thermal paste.

It's really hard to burn a cpu nowaydays, most of them have protection to shut down in case its overheated. By the way your post is 2h old, if you try to boot again and it repeat the same process (go past bios, windows loading and then suddenly shut down) then it's the problem.
    Last edited by Anon56; 2014-04-08 at 06:10 AM.

Doubtful it's a heat issue if he's just trying to boot up, even with minimal contact with the cpu the heatsink would dissipate enough heat passively until it was faced with some actual load. That said, heat may have been the original cause and has irreparably damaged the cpu.

Might be power like Mormolyce said.

I usually see this problem (the original BSOD that is) in laptops and AHCI mode, hence my tendency towards a SATA device problem or motherboard.

<Snip>

Please do not provide potentially disastrous advice. - noteworthynerd
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2014-04-08 at 09:30 PM.

Deleted
    Reading your post twice I've come to the conclusion that the travelling has put stress on your board causing it to become slightly bent and broken the tracks on it. You can get another board very cheaply though it'l be a bargain basement one. Thats my best idea of whats wrong. I've had it happen to me in boards that have been stored badly.

A speaker from a computer store will be a couple of pounds I think, try maplin.

Thats my best guess, good luck I hope you can sort it mate.

I usually see this problem (the original BSOD that is) in laptops and AHCI mode, hence my tendency towards a SATA device problem or motherboard.
    Oh and btw, you do know that this bsod doesn't mean anything right ? It's just the win8 bsod that happen when the os failed to boot for multiples times.

http://teamwindows8.com/2012/11/erro...-in-winodws-8/

Quote Originally Posted by Anon56 View Post
    Oh and btw, you do know that this bsod doesn't mean anything right ? It's just the win8 bsod that happen when the os failed to boot for multiples times.

http://teamwindows8.com/2012/11/erro...-in-winodws-8/
    It's not unique to Windows 8 at all. The same error code for "Boot selection failed"/"file missing or damaged" exists for XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2014-04-08 at 06:42 AM.

Yes but it still doesn't mean anything. You can't know what caused it. It's a boot error.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkoeu View Post
    -snip-
    Buy the speaker, it's like 3 pounds http://www.amazon.co.uk/ATFX-Systems...rboard+speaker
    PM me weird stuff :3

Yes but it still doesn't mean anything. You can't know what caused it. It's a boot error.
    Hence you eliminate possibilities until you've got a baseline.

Considering it won't even post now, points to a physical issue. AHCI was just a "maybe," common source to trace the problem.

Either way, see how they get along with it.

I'm sure its a heating problem. I've seen this before and when he says "heatsink seemed loose on 2nd reseat".

Try to unplug your heatsink power from the mb, you'll have the same problem as him. Then your computer won't event boot, or boot for some seconds and then stop. Then you wait some time for the cpu to cool and then the process repeat until you replug the heatsink.

When a computer randomly restart, most of the time its a power or heating problem.
    Last edited by Anon56; 2014-04-08 at 06:54 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post

I managed to get into the bios, after disconnecting the Sata cables, the computer would restart randomly at different intervals.

The CPU temp is 28-32. Degrees C. I will upload a pic in a sec.

When you say restart randomly at different intervals, do you mean while in the BIOS? Or did you reconnect everything and try to boot into Windows again after you successfully got into the bios?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    When you say restart randomly at different intervals, do you mean while in the BIOS? Or did you reconnect everything and try to boot into Windows again after you successfully got into the bios?

It seems to restart randomly is what I meant by different intervals. So it could restart after 5 seconds or 10 mins while in bios, windows loading screen, or no post at all
    - it's been in bios for that long now-. I'm going to try hooking up one hard drive now and see if I can boot to windows.

Thank you for your help guys!

If you can boot to windows and it reboot, go back in the bios and check the temp again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Disconnect the hard drive/dvd-rom, anything connected via SATA and see if you can get it to post and get into the bios. Then reset it to default settings.

If you still can't post, remove the memory and insert only one module.

If you still can't post at all, possibly damage to the motherboard in transit, or less likely the cpu.

If it does post, reconnect your sata devices and make sure everything is seated properly and try to load windows.

If you get another BSOD, use your Windows disc (presuming Windows 7) and go to Repair, select the OS from the list then command prompt and use: sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows (if your windows installation is on a different drive, change it accordingly).

Your parts choices won't fare well, that motherboard is incompatible with your cpu, so you'd be looking at a new cpu as well. You need an LGA1155 motherboard, not an 1150.
    Thank you for the info about the parts.

- - - Updated - - -

If you can boot to windows and it reboot, go back in the bios and check the temp again.
    I can't get to windows unfortunately. A friend has lent me combi pol ip65. I think it tests the volts. I tried linking it from eBay on this pad, but I can't seem too. Maybe if I test the PSU with it I can rule out problems with the PSU.

I'm going to try putting some alcohol on the CPU and heatsink to rub the old thermal paste off.

- - - Updated - - -

Read that ? Ok now open your computer, remove the cooler of your cpu and start your computer, it will reboot, then restart to the point when he won't boot anymore. Then reput the cooler and come back to me in 30mn.
    Is this safe? You think I should take CPU heatsink off and see what happens?