Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Any other die hard fans and players find themselves simply not caring anymore?

    You know when there used to be a class change and you'd be all over it, redoing specs in your head, getting excited about changes, or when a new Warcraft game was announced and you'd be all over the lore leaks, reading everything everywhere you could find, getting into all the internet fights and shouting your views for everyone who would listen, or whatever?

    I find myself simply not caring anymore about any of that, not because I'm getting older, but because Actiblizzard just doesn't seem to introduce any more "damn!" factor in their new games, Warcraft or other. These days it's all about micro managing ability changes, pruning this, combining that, tweaking this, adding that feature which other games already have, removing this feature for no good reason and spamming phrases such as "we want players to feel epic" and wasting incredible amounts of time typing dissertations about the most uninteresting bits of information such as how they plan to change valor point accumulation...for the billionth time. It's just fucking arithmetic ffs, this day you get 100 per day, tomorrow we'll let you get 500. Boom, end of story. There, I just saved you 5 hours, now tell us about your incredible plans to introduce naval combat, aerial and ground mounted combat better than any other game out there, explorable raids with hidden paths and randomized layouts. Ffs do you really think that you'll hype 7 million players by announcing a new fucking battle pet in the shop for 15$? 10 years ago that kind of crap would have the entire gaming world laughing at you.

  2. #2
    Its called growing up, this is just a videogame after all.

  3. #3
    I still feel initial excitement when I hear about a new Diablo or SC or whatever games, it's just that when I get to actually see what it's all about, it's like a balloon slowly deflating.

  4. #4
    I agree with Saetia, I've been finding myself feel the same way, but not just with World of Warcraft, all games... Which is kinda hell for me, cause video games have always been about my only interest

  5. #5
    The Lightbringer leaks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    I don't even know anymore.
    Posts
    3,448
    Sometimes people grow apart. It's best to just move on or you'll just end up hating her more and more. You'll never rekindle that flame.
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

  6. #6
    Bloodsail Admiral Zenway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,189
    WoW lost a lot of its charm a while ago but there's no better game to switch to so we're just sorta stuck with this one. Maybe we did just grow up. That's just my guess.

    Something I did notice though, is that there are still a TON of people hooked on this game. They eat up whatever Blizzard gives them without a thought. Buying store mounts and tacky helmets just because it is a Blizzard product. Praising Blizzard for virtually everything they do. I would suggest trying to wake up the huge Blizzdrone masses but yeah right that's never gonna happen.

  7. #7
    Mechagnome manicwrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Cotswolds, Southwest England.
    Posts
    587
    Yeah I feel that Cataclysm, Mists of Pandaria and now Warlords of Draenor has really turned me off from WoW from a lore standpoint. The story hasn't progressed in a direction appealing to me or been as involving as Vanilla or Wrath for me.

  8. #8
    Its not growing up, its WoW and its clones in general. Just dont play anything till something different is out.

  9. #9
    Ahh nope. I'm pushing 40, I still find WoW and video games in general engaging. Maybe its because I do not spend every waking free min playing WoW or other games.

    "These days it's all about micro managing ability changes" This has been done since day one so classes and abilities do not stay OP or UP for very long or are game breaking.

    "pruning this, combining that" It has been too long in the making for this. Following many of the other MMOs since WoW, moreso recently, the limited action bars/sets are very welcomed and praised by many. WoW has way too fucking abilities, many that do the same or similar things, many not useful at all. Good riddance.

    "adding that feature which other games already have" Where have you been the past 20 years? This is Blizzards M.O.. They take popular features from other games and enhance them, make them better, or Blizzard-o-rizes them. This is what makes Blizzard one of the best game companies around. They notice trends, see what players do and implements the good, for the most part.

    "removing this feature for no good reason" They have always given reasons almost all of the time valid. Just because you do not agree does not mean it was for no good reason.

    "now tell us about your incredible plans to introduce naval combat, aerial and ground mounted combat better than any other game out there" Where was this ever claimed. I know they were working on aerial combat for WotLK that got axed, there might have been talk of desire for naval combat but nothing planned, and after the complaint about jousting, I'm sure mounted combat was taken off the table until it can be worked out better. At least they didn't add in crap and claim it was good, or you would be right here bitching about bad features.

    "explorable raids with hidden paths and randomized layouts" Cite this source please. Sounds like Diablo not WoW.

    And for the pet shop, you can be in denial all you want, but many players eat that shit up like candy. And it is not 10 years ago. It is now. Cash shops are the norm and it is not going away soon because there is a market for it.

  10. #10
    Stood in the Fire Ispamx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    466
    I have definitely felt that way about WoW recently, but I'd say it is me growing up more than anything. I was extremely excited about Cataclysm because it was the first expansion release where I was max level and mostly "finished" the previous expansion (I hadn't done Heroic raids, but I had accomplished everything I wanted to) but when Cataclysm came I got bored quickly (I would definitely put most of that down to Cataclysms... lacking level 85 content at launch though). When MoP was announced I was pretty excited because I really like the Asian architecture and the music style they went for and followed updates pretty closely, though after a couple of months into 5.4 I had unsubbed indefinitely for the first time. I really did want to get into raiding again throughout MoP, but I couldn't decide on a class and in the end I just lost interest.

    With WoD announced I have no intention to return to WoW as the only thing that interests me in it is Garrisons. I looked at the first incarnations of the level 100 talents and haven't looked at them again since. I have just grown out of WoW at this point, it just isn't for me anymore. I still visit MMO-Champion fairly frequently though, I guess it is more a habit than anything though the forums can have interesting reads at times. Fortunately unlike many others, the feeling you described isn't gone for me yet, it has just moved to new games, League of Legends and Hearthstone, and Diablo 3 to an extent. I still get excited when I see updates for those games and genuinely have fun playing them. If anyone was wondering I am 18 years old.
    Last edited by Ispamx; 2014-05-31 at 02:08 PM.

  11. #11
    I love Blizzard games, there has not been a time in the last 18 years of my 25 year life where I haven't had at least 1 Blizzard game in my current rotation of Videogames.

    Its the one consistently good company of the last 2 decades.

    WoW is no exception, been playing since early 2005, I still get excited when new things are announced for it. I take breaks here and there but overall it is still the best MMORPG and has been for nearly a decade. I loved every expansion for the different things they bring and even if they aren't as good as other expansions they still always deliver a very very enjoyable experience regardless.

    I also guess I'm just not one of those hipsters that hates WoW yet hangs out on a WoW-centric forum just to complain about it.
    It seems nearly as stupid as a Homophobe hanging out in a Gay bar.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

  12. #12
    Bloodsail Admiral Pencil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the fridge
    Posts
    1,115
    I think I can relate to this. I absolutely loved WoW and still have such fond memories of my time playing and I don't regret a single minute of the hundreds of days played time I clocked up.

    I still sometimes want to re-join but I know the moment I do I'll find an hour or two later my reluctance to play will have set in as it did just before I finished playing. I can't really explain why I was reluctant to play. I mean I still listen to WoW soundtracks and sometimes wish I could just log back in for free just to look around the world. All those things make me feel great and I don't think its nostalgia because I have no desire to play the game again, only to enjoy the world for what it was. It was just so good.
    pencil is cool

  13. #13
    Legendary! Thelxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,296
    I'm definitely still excited for class changes, but that is honestly the only thing that excites me anymore. After years of trial and error Blizzard has finally managed to hit that sweetspot of bare minimum effort and budgets and maximum profit. I really have just given up hoping for Blizzard to go the extra mile again, because they simply wont. Too many content sheep, why bother.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenway View Post
    WoW lost a lot of its charm a while ago but there's no better game to switch to so we're just sorta stuck with this one. Maybe we did just grow up. That's just my guess.

    Something I did notice though, is that there are still a TON of people hooked on this game. They eat up whatever Blizzard gives them without a thought. Buying store mounts and tacky helmets just because it is a Blizzard product. Praising Blizzard for virtually everything they do. I would suggest trying to wake up the huge Blizzdrone masses but yeah right that's never gonna happen.
    SO people are drones because they spend money on something they like, enjoy what they are paying for, and feel they are getting value for their money spent? I have had many disagreements with Blizzards decisions about WoW and Diablo, that does not mean I do not enjoy their games. I do not buy cash shop items because I disagree with the shop, it's because I don't care about mounts or pets. But if they want to sell shit there more power to them. I have yet to find a MMO, or RTS, or Dungeon Crawler game that lives up to the quality standard of Blizzard and I have an immense library of games and none come close to expectations set by Blizzards games.

    Even hearthstone. Is it the most in depth TCG out there? No. But it just feels so much better. No clunky interfaces, fast play, easy to pick up, while still having depth. Yes its mostly RNG luck of the draw stuff, but I have managed to fill my card book up 100% without spending anything besides the $1.00 in Beta to get the Geblin card. I loathed the MOBAs and testing HotS recently it seems encouraging enough with little changes like shared experience, no kill steals and whatnot that encourage actual team play that I may play that.

    Blizzard, IMO, has the pulse of gamers. Yes WoW has been on the decline for years, but so has the over all MMO market, and the gaming market as well. With all the F2P games and cheap ass gamers these days, you would think WoW would be dead or have a substantial F2P model but it doesn't. I also doubt there are millions of self-loathing players that just "can't quit. Blizzard is doing something right to still have 7M paying customers after 10 years, when they only hopped to get 300k initially. Save the half are in Asia and they don't pay. The vast majority of the 5M no longer playing were from Eastern markets, specifically China according to shareholder meetings.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenway View Post
    WoW lost a lot of its charm a while ago but there's no better game to switch to so we're just sorta stuck with this one. Maybe we did just grow up. That's just my guess.

    Something I did notice though, is that there are still a TON of people hooked on this game. They eat up whatever Blizzard gives them without a thought. Buying store mounts and tacky helmets just because it is a Blizzard product. Praising Blizzard for virtually everything they do. I would suggest trying to wake up the huge Blizzdrone masses but yeah right that's never gonna happen.
    personal opinion bolded.

    Lots of good games out there, and for a few million, better than WoW. just as your second part is true, a few million eat up Blizz stuff in general, like below:

    Quote Originally Posted by Pool of the Dead View Post
    I love Blizzard games, there has not been a time in the last 18 years of my 25 year life where I haven't had at least 1 Blizzard game in my current rotation of Videogames.

    Its the one consistently good company of the last 2 decades.

    WoW is no exception, been playing since early 2005, I still get excited when new things are announced for it. I take breaks here and there but overall it is still the best MMORPG and has been for nearly a decade. I loved every expansion for the different things they bring and even if they aren't as good as other expansions they still always deliver a very very enjoyable experience regardless.

    I also guess I'm just not one of those hipsters that hates WoW yet hangs out on a WoW-centric forum just to complain about it.
    It seems nearly as stupid as a Homophobe hanging out in a Gay bar.
    Lots of personal opinions. It is not the best MMORPG, it is just a good one. Best for you? sure, but not overall.

    You are the hipster who thinks they are going against the grain by saying you love everything they've ever done because you think the 'hipsters' are hating on it.

    People are expressing valid personal concerns about the game, the direction, the choices, the changes, etc. That isn't hipster hate, that is people expressing valid concerns for them about a game and lore they cherish or once did and wish they could again. A more appropriate analogy would be, someone talking about their ex, whom they still love, or miss the good times with ... stating all the things they wish could go back the way it was or things they think if changed, would make everything better.


    For me, Blizzard products just don't bring any excitement. SC2 didn't grab me, D3 didn't grab me, Hearthstone isn't interesting for me, not sure about Heroes yet, and my love for WoW has been dwindling since Cata was release; though I still love and miss WotLK, and wish I played more during BC. I'm not even saying Cata outside greater expectations was bad, nor am I saying as a whole MoP or WoD will be bad; but the direction they are taking and the changes they've been making and continue to make and plan to make are not the way for me to enjoy the game at all; from class/spec changes, their ideas of balance and fun, to just about every major and minor detail in their overall outlook for the game, doesn't agree with how I see the game should be. I don't demand they change it; but I do see if they might have a change of heart; and I am free to discuss things I see as a misstep or I find disagreeable on a -discussion- board, about a product I've loved and want to love again, and one I've recently been a patron of.


    If you can't see the turns for the worse, then great for you, and no need to rain on your parade. I'm all for you enjoying and continuing to enjoy every aspect if you already do. But just because you are quite happy with all, doesn't mean everyone else is nor are they just spitting vile to be cool.

  16. #16
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon City
    Posts
    3,661
    Yeah, it happens. Stuff grows on you. I've been playing wow since 2006, so maybe it's about time I moved away. I'll see what WoD brings though, although the no-fly part is deterring me from that expansion quite a bit.

  17. #17
    blizz are too far gone, by the time the movie will come out
    wow will be on its death bed and thats a shame.

    if you ask me , they shouldnt have come up with lesser , weaker xpac lore lines like spending almost 2 years in pandaria or going back in time via a paradox of
    time/space...when queen azshara is still out there with old gods and the legions.

    they shouldnt have come up with garrison and spend so much time polishing it when you could add ogres/arrakora to the game, the models are allready there.

    when i dinged 60 i took a moment thinking how the talent tree would look at level 100,
    to my shame instead of a long talent trees full with powerfull abilities we end up with a 5 mouse clicks customisation...
    level 100 was supposed to be a transandance but we end up with a change that gonna take us back to lvl 20 spell book and customisation with dmg/healing numbers that feels "allmost" the same .

    the art style, the gear , the monsters dont make sense anymore...i was thinking about raiding normal in wod but i just dont feel like doing it at all anymore..
    i want the warcraft that does make sense again..

  18. #18
    Yeah, don't care anymore.

  19. #19
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetia View Post
    Its called growing up, this is just a videogame after all.
    So people who are playing games as an adult aren't grown up? I'm 28 years old and still enjoy WoW. If in 3 or so years I stop playing, it's not because I "grew up", it's because I lost interest.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by john duo View Post
    blizz are too far gone, by the time the movie will come out
    wow will be on its death bed and thats a shame.

    if you ask me , they shouldnt have come up with lesser , weaker xpac lore lines like spending almost 2 years in pandaria or going back in time via a paradox of
    time/space...when queen azshara is still out there with old gods and the legions.

    they shouldnt have come up with garrison and spend so much time polishing it when you could add ogres/arrakora to the game, the models are allready there.

    when i dinged 60 i took a moment thinking how the talent tree would look at level 100,
    to my shame instead of a long talent trees full with powerfull abilities we end up with a 5 mouse clicks customisation...
    level 100 was supposed to be a transandance but we end up with a change that gonna take us back to lvl 20 spell book and customisation with dmg/healing numbers that feels "allmost" the same .

    the art style, the gear , the monsters dont make sense anymore...i was thinking about raiding normal in wod but i just dont feel like doing it at all anymore..
    i want the warcraft that does make sense again..
    100 is just a number nothing special. Blizzard has stated so many times. Players think 100 is special. The spellbook has gotten out of hand. Thankfully they removed ranks, now they are removing a bunch of redundancy and excessiveness, and combining talents into one and making them change on spec instead of having a whole talent dedicated to bombs for mages for example.

    The stat squish was needed. Garrosh had to heal up during each phase to hold all of his health. Just because the numbers are small does not mean you are weaker. While I do not have an issue with millions, billions, and trillions splashed on my screen as numbers, many do and I do not see this as an issue.

    I feel the lore is better in Pandaria. I would rather explore something new and different than visit teh stories of the RTS. At some point the story has to move forward and we need to get past the stuff that happened in the old games. Pandaria was a breath of fresh air IMO.

    Have you seen the ogre animations and all the clipping? They are not sufficient for players. They would have had to do a complete remake of them to be player ready. Besides, weather you agree or not, we are getting essentially 10 new races worth of work.
    Last edited by freighttrain; 2014-05-31 at 02:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •