What happened to Volatile Earth?

That Item was 60-90 Silver for the past Years but now it is suddenly 4-6Gold what happened to Volatile Earth, anyone can explain?
    Capitalism, Ho!

Isn't it to do with the data mining, that suggests that all older materials will have some use in Warlords? Some people might be starting their early stock up / sales.

Link or it did not happened
    Capitalism, Ho!

a lot of people start stacking up mats before an expac hits (due to the expected price increase once its released due to people wanting to level up their proffs) but theres probably other reasons as well. maybe less miners around or more people leveling up / changing professions before the expansion

voltaile earth is more expensive because nobody is gathering it. supply and demand.

Quote Originally Posted by VoodooGaming View Post
    Isn't it to do with the data mining, that suggests that all older materials will have some use in Warlords? Some people might be starting their early stock up / sales.
    If there is anything like that in datamined recipes, that is definitely a placeholder. There's no way in hell new recipes would use old materials from several expansions ago.

Like Ssateneth stated, it's usual supply and demand:
    Low supply, high demand = prices rising
    High supply, low demand = prices plumetting down

Here, have some graphs from wikipedia!
    Last edited by rad586; 2014-04-09 at 09:39 AM.

3DS FC: 5429-7640-5866
    Safari Type: Rock - Rhydon, Boldore, Pupitar

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    voltaile earth is more expensive because nobody is gathering it. supply and demand.
    Pretty much this. I've been making a killing off of Elementium bars. 150g for 10 on my server :P

Not only that, but they're from Cataclysm zones - the most despised of all the expansions by the majority - and most players would rather grind in 5 mans from 80-85 than do a Cata zone. :P
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

I think it is probably to do with people no longer needing to mine cata stuff to level up mining. Since the change they can just mine Panda stuff from level 1, therefore there won't be as many of these being collected.

Less of them = higher prices.

Older expansion materials tend to be sold for ridiculous amounts due to their scarcity, not many people are willing to farm them for profit, little to no competition selling them, thus their prices are monopolized.

Pit Lord
    nobody mines on old zones to level mining anymore > nobody farms Elemenium Veins, main source of volatiles > volatiles supply lowers > price raise

it's still used for 36slot mining bags, but since it's a niche market (demand/quantity both low) a small depression in farming (mining levelup) will raise the price a lot
    CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K @ 4.8GHz
    Motherboard: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws-X 2x4GB 1600Mhz
    VGA: XFX Radeon HD 6990
    Drive: 1 x OCZ Vertex 3 240Gb + 1 x WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair AX850W Case: Cooler Master HAF X CPU Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14

Bots probably don't farm those nodes these days

Remember the JC daily where you had to kill 10 elementals and everyone headed to Hyjal to kill the starter mobs? The ones that literally dumped Volatile Earth on you?

People don't do that anymore.

I bought 10,000s of each volatile when they were being dumped towards the end of Cata. I've been using them for Dreamcloth mostly - for the gem bag - but also for the Destroyer engineer pet - sales of both have slowed down but I'm glad I bought at dump prices rather than current prices.
    Dragonslayer Hoddie - pretending to know what I'm doing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    Personally, I think the issue is partially (or mostly) due to the Twilight highlands farming spot nerf. I know I used to farm there myself and using a potion of treasure finding would find stacks and stacks of all of the volatiles, however, nobody is doing this anymore. I don't have any data to back up my claim about what % of the volatiles were coming from mining vs chests, however that is my suspition.

Didnt read the thread so far but...

imo its people stocks running out from all the ore they had when they found out you couldn't prospect epic gems from pyrite.