10+ Year Old Account

How I make my gold (kinda)

I have an alt who's sole job is to be GM of a guild that invites people of all levels to join. These people will level to 90 and some of the money they earn through leveling is transferred to the Guild bank. My alt just picks up the gold and hands it to my main toons. I very rarely interact with the members and they don't even seem to notice. I have two guilds like this on two different servers for two different factions. I don't know if this is against the rules (doubt it) or if this is unethical. Just curious on your opinion.
    Everyone on the internet is a dishonest actor.

Nothing wrong with it.

You're using them for gold. They're using you for leveling perks. Can't see anything that'd bother Bliz.

Can't say I'd want to be involved in it myself, I find it vaguely distasteful/antisocial, but there's nothing genuinely offensive about it. It's just very different from my personal perspective of what a guild "should" be.

Deleted
    People have been doing this since guild levels were added with the perk. I don't see a problem with it. They choose to be in the guild; there's a bank log, they can see what happens to the money if they care. Unless you were actually lying to people and saying you were taking it out to fund something guildy.

How did you come up with this new and exciting idea?

Deleted
    How much gold does this reward you on a monthly basis?
    also i don't think there's anything wrong with it to be honest.

you are providing the perks and the only reason people join those kind of guilds are because of the perks (which sucks imo)
    So you are free to use the gold however you want.
    Last edited by mmoca2f65c0cbf; 2014-04-08 at 06:14 PM.

Deleted
    You're effectively selling perks for gold they generate in the GBank. I doubt that's a lot of income, but free gold is free. Nothing wrong, new, unethical or exciting there.

Ive Always thought of the idea but cba, but how much gold are we talking? Monthly?

10+ Year Old Account
    By no means is this generating astronomical amounts of gold. It depends on how active the guild is I guess. Sometimes I get 10k, sometimes I get 4k. All depends, but this is by no means my main income source and at the same time I'm in no need for more gold.
    Everyone on the internet is a dishonest actor.

15+ Year Old Account
    Frankly I think people who do this are kind of skeevy and annoying (I hate getting guild spam every time I have to step into a city on an unguilded alt-- sometimes even while out questing too) but there's nothing against any rule about it. I just avoid those types of guilds because they seem to me to be the very loosest definition of what it means to be a "guild".

But, if all they want are your perks, and all you want is their gold, I guess it all works out for the parties involved.

Sig by Isilrien

Quote Originally Posted by TheJewishMerp View Post
    I don't know if this is against the rules (doubt it) or if this is unethical. Just curious on your opinion.
    No, all perfectly fine. Unless you use those addons that auto ginvite randoms, then you're scum (don't think they actually break rules though).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread makes me feel suspicious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJewishMerp View Post
    or if this is unethical.
    This.

Take this scheme to the real world, good way to see why it may be a bit wrong.

Lets say you join a club of some kind, but in this case you are just a member, not the owner You're expected to pay into the club, that being a percentage of your salary from your job.

The owner of the club decides to just help him/herself and pocket the money and hand it out to their family and friends. Yet this money, partly contributed by you, should have and was expected to go into the good of the club, not an individual.

I mean if you're fine with being that way, well then have at it. It's not like some business people and others don't run junk like that in the real world. Granted it doesn't make their behaviors right and might bite them in the ass eventually.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-04-09 at 02:47 AM.

Deleted
    I think you only make around 3-5k gold per week doing something like this? It's not worth the effort spam inviting all those people.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    You're expected to pay into the club, that being a percentage of your salary from your job.
    Except that you don't actually "pay" money for being in a guild. This guild perk creates money out of thin air and deposits into the gbank when you loot money. Noone is robbed of anything.
    You can't really give real life analogies here as in real life money is never created out of thin air without someone having to pay back.

"Each time you loot money from an enemy, an extra 10% money is generated and deposited directly into your guild bank."

There is no written or unwritten rule that says how guild money should be used or distributed. It's up to the leadership to decide.
    So yeah, it's NOT unethical.
    Last edited by Zka; 2014-04-09 at 06:34 AM.

Deleted
    This.

Lets say you join a club of some kind, but in this case you are just a member, not the owner You're expected to pay into the club, that being a percentage of your salary from your job.

The owner of the club decides to just help him/herself and pocket the money and hand it out to their family and friends. Yet this money, partly contributed by you, should have and was expected to go into the good of the club, not an individual.

I mean if you're fine with being that way, well then have at it. It's not like some business people and others don't run junk like that in the real world. Granted it doesn't make their behaviors right and might bite them in the ass eventually.
    You're comparing two different things here. In the guild's case, it is money generated and added to the guildbank. It's not money the player contributes, he won't have less money by being in the guild and will not notice anything if he'd leave. The game generates the money. In your case, the club member puts his own money in, huge difference imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubb View Post
    I think you only make around 3-5k gold per week doing something like this? It's not worth the effort spam inviting all those people.
    3-5k gold for something that requires little to no maintenance or effort is pretty good I'd say...

Deleted
    This.

I don't think this is really a comparison, because in this situation, no one has paid anything. It is like, being a free member of a club, and by you being a free member, some official body (for whom money is unlimited), gives the club more money per member.

The player still gets the same gold. The guild gets gold generated by blizzard, for whom money is an unlimited resource.

Quote Originally Posted by lakhesis View Post
    You're using them for gold. They're using you for leveling perks. Can't see anything that'd bother Bliz.

Can't say I'd want to be involved in it myself, I find it vaguely distasteful/antisocial, but there's nothing genuinely offensive about it. It's just very different from my personal perspective of what a guild "should" be.
    Agreed. I don't really see anything wrong with the whole situation. Seems to me like everybody wins here.