Page 1 of 38
... LastLast

Could an Atheist Democrat ever win the Presidency of the USA?

It's no secret that most Atheists are democrats and agree with the Left side of politics. So would it ever be possible that an OPEN Atheist democrat could become the President of the United States? Say they followed pretty much all the social and political policies on the democrat agenda, EXCEPT they didn't believe in a higher power.

Personally, I don't think so. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Chingylol; 2014-04-09 at 02:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not if they admitted they were atheist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure why not

Next election? nah

EVER?! Yes.

In years (even decades, imo) to come? No. Not likely.

Deleted
    The question is not if an Atheist could win but if he/she would be stupid enough to make it public at this time and actually pull of a win.

Maybe in a hundred years...

We're the (first world) Christian Middle East at this point.

It'll probably take decades before people start to understand you can be moral and be atheist. For now, they think atheists are suspect

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    If by some chance we can ever get people to realize atheist != immoral evil doers. I mean right now we can't run for office in 7 states at all. Also just adding I am technically a republican.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It'll probably take decades before people start to understand you can be moral and be atheist. For now, they think atheists are suspect
    Most distrusted minority in the US !!!!

We'll have a transsexual black Jewish president decades before an admitted atheist could even have a remote chance at being elected. It's still illegal in many areas of the country to even hold public office if you're an atheist. Wouldn't want to let a group of people that make decisions based on logic and reason have the ability to create legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I don't remember where I found the survey but there was a survey a while back that showed the atheists were less trusted than gays, murderers and Muslims... and we didn't even blow anything up!!! :P

It would be GREAT if we got a president like that,

Ever? Sure, maybe. Not in my damned lifetime though. I live in a weird little bubble where many of the people I know are atheists and almost all of the people I know place low value on religion, even the nominally religious folks. Every now and then I travel and chat with people that make me realize that, holy fuck, people in the South are really not keen on atheism. In fact, they seem actively confused by the concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure. Though, unfortunately, only if people didn't know. Otherwise, them being an atheist doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    We'll have a transsexual black Jewish president decades before an admitted atheist could even have a remote chance at being elected. It's still illegal in many areas of the country to even hold public office if you're an atheist. Wouldn't want to let a group of people that make decisions based on logic and reason have the ability to create legislation.
    Sadly this is probably all too true. Some people have to resort to being closet atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I feel like a quick trip to the Supreme Court should fix any such law.
    You could... but you would still be unelectable in those areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    I don't remember where I found the survey but there was a survey a while back that showed the atheists were less trusted than gays, murderers and Muslims... and we didn't even blow anything up!!! :P
    Not yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Ever? Sure, maybe. Not in my damned lifetime though. I live in a weird little bubble where many of the people I know are atheists and almost all of the people I know place low value on religion, even the nominally religious folks. Every now and then I travel and chat with people that make me realize that, holy fuck, people in the South are really not keen on atheism. In fact, they seem actively confused by the concept.
    Try living in Georgia. You tell someone you don't believe in a god(s) and they never speak to you again. But I guess people like that aren't worth speaking to

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    It would be GREAT if we got a president like that,
    I'm skeptical of the relevance. I feel like I'd mostly be excited about it for silly cheerleader reasons (yay, that guy's like me!) rather than anything pragmatic. An atheist can be a total shitbird about foreign policy and know fuckall about economics just as easily as a Christian.

Sometime in the next 25 years I could see it plausibly happen. I don't think he would identify himself as an Atheist tho, but rather as Agnostic. In cases like this semantics could make a difference.

Although truth be said I'm fairly sure there are plenty of politicians who are utterly irreligious, but simply play the part for political reasons.

But I always been fascinated by how the U.S manages to create a disturbing and to great extent sickening symbiosis between politics and religion (and the "morality" of said religions), when the Constitution establishes a clear separation of Church and State, and explicitly expresses that Religion shouldn't factor into holding political office.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    Wouldn't want to let a group of people that make decisions based on logic and reason have the ability to create legislation.
    You seem confused, thinking that atheist = logic and reason. I've seen tons of retard atheists who couldn't reason their way out of a debate with a 5 year old, and I've seen plenty of theists who are extremely adept at using logic and reason. Maybe you think being an atheist is a sign of logic and reason? Any evidence to suggest this, other than your personal disbelief in God?