Page 25 of 40 FirstFirst ...
15
23
24
25
26
27
35
... LastLast
  1. #481
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    .....keep this garbage to yourself, I would ask for proff but I know you don't have any just random rhetoric talking points. If any thing is more a Unitarianism or even closet atheist not muslim
    He is obviously a Muslim. Here is your proof:

    Disclaimer: Joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Still, even if you ignore the that, the hijab is a serious safety concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So what? If I got to decide I'd take Stalin's path regarding religion.

  2. #482
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ferndale, MI
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    Most religious people have the false impression atheists have no morals and do whatever they want.
    When in reality, only people who don't believe in god are moral.

    Everybody else is chasing the carrot and trying to avoid the stick to one degree or another.


    1) Do all these things or I'll burn you for eternity.
    2) Does all the things to avoid being burned for eternity.
    3) ???
    4) Morality!

  3. #483
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Could an American Atheist ever bring shit up without spewing off religion?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    When in reality, only people who don't believe in god are moral.

    Everybody else is chasing the carrot and trying to avoid the stick to one degree or another.


    1) Do all these things or I'll burn you for eternity.
    2) Does all the things to avoid being burned for eternity.
    3) ???
    4) Morality!
    Are you 12? You can't deny their opinion of atheists and morals as a stereotype and then spout out another stereotype.

  4. #484
    The Insane det's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The forums
    Posts
    17,655
    If they can't - what does it say about the voters who wouldn't vote for that person? So they rather vote a scumbag like Nixon who believes in god, than a honest humanist who doesn't believe?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

  5. #485
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,350
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Are you 12? You can't deny their opinion of atheists and morals as a stereotype and then spout out another stereotype.

    If you broaden it up to the carrot simply being how good it feels to believe in a deity and an afterlife and the stick to how bad it feels to think about dying being the actual end and the lack of objective purpose to life, I do think you could easily support that being true in a majority of cases.

  6. #486
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ferndale, MI
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post

    Are you 12? You can't deny their opinion of atheists and morals as a stereotype and then spout out another stereotype.
    What stereotype did I spout?

    Which situation more clearly demonstrates a moral choice?

    A) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because killing is wrong.

    B) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because you're afraid of burning for eternity, and also because you were told if you don't ever kill anyone you get to have eternal bliss, see all your dead relatives, bask in the radiance of your maker, and learn all the secrets of the universe.

    One is somebody behaving morally, and the other is someone being bribed and threatened.

  7. #487
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    What stereotype did I spout?

    Which situation more clearly demonstrates a moral choice?

    A) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because killing is wrong.

    B) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because you're afraid of burning for eternity, and also because you were told if you don't ever kill anyone you get to have eternal bliss, see all your dead relatives, bask in the radiance of your maker, and learn all the secrets of the universe.

    One is somebody behaving morally, and the other is someone being bribed and threatened.
    You spout off another stereotype again and then wonder what the hell you're doing?

    You firstly assume every religion is Catholic, I have no idea why. And secondly you assume every single action is done because of fear of some potential after death doom.

    Tell me exactly, Was Saint Francis going around the world doing all those good deeds because he was afraid of some Divine punishment? Was he driven by greed of his own soul?

    Would Saint Francis been a better man if he was an Atheist? You try to talk about moral choices and how mature you are than religious people yet your assuming they're all crazy folk and using petty minded bigotry just like you assume they do.

    THAT is why I call you a 12 year old.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    If you broaden it up to the carrot simply being how good it feels to believe in a deity and an afterlife and the stick to how bad it feels to think about dying being the actual end and the lack of objective purpose to life, I do think you could easily support that being true in a majority of cases.
    Then your a mumbling dumbass who likes to make assumptions about people for the hell of it.

    This isn't the middle ages, not everywhere is bumbfuck Missisippi where everyone is afraid of god, and Quite frankly, as an Atheist myself I find this sudden inclination that theism is some kind of damning hatred that must be expunged because of my own personal beliefs is downright horrible.


    [Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-04-10 at 04:00 PM.

  8. #488
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,350
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Then your a mumbling dumbass who likes to make assumptions about people for the hell of it.

    This isn't the middle ages, not everywhere is bumbfuck Missisippi where everyone is afraid of god, and Quite frankly, as an Atheist myself I find this sudden inclination that theism is some kind of damning hatred that must be expunged because of my own personal beliefs is downright horrible.
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm talking about a subtle influence on rational thought that leads people to be more likely to believe in a deity than not and, at least from personal experience, could easily support the claim as being true in my own life. I encounter plenty of people who fit what I said and have yet to encounter anyone who doesn't.

    I'm honestly not even sure you understand what I'm saying.

  9. #489
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm talking about a subtle influence on rational thought that leads people to be more likely to believe in a deity than not and, at least from personal experience, could easily support the claim as being true in my own life.
    You take the stance an immature Anti-theist does in assuming that Religion is a polarizing effect on a "Majority" of people and not simply a source of role models and influence.

    Where do you get your Morals from?

  10. #490
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    What stereotype did I spout?

    Which situation more clearly demonstrates a moral choice?

    A) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because killing is wrong.

    B) Somebody really pisses you off. You don't kill them because you're afraid of burning for eternity, and also because you were told if you don't ever kill anyone you get to have eternal bliss, see all your dead relatives, bask in the radiance of your maker, and learn all the secrets of the universe.

    One is somebody behaving morally, and the other is someone being bribed and threatened.
    You do realize A applies to religious people too, right?

  11. #491
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,350
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    You take the stance an immature Anti-theist does in assuming that Religion is a polarizing effect on a "Majority" of people and not simply a source of role models and influence.

    Where do you get your Morals from?
    I'm a nihilist.

    I didn't make a claim as to why people were originally religious. I'm talking about why people remain religious even after considering atheism. In my experience, there is a clear pattern of two things that result in them rejecting atheism: incredulity and fear of purposelessness. I think you're being a little too angry with the other guy to treat what I said with fair consideration.

  12. #492
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I'm a nihilist.

    I didn't make a claim as to why people were originally religious. I'm talking about why people remain religious even after considering atheism. In my experience, there is a clear pattern of two things that result in them rejecting atheism: incredulity and fear of purposelessness. I think you're being a little too angry with the other guy to treat what I said with fair consideration.
    You "assumed" people stay religious purely due to some imaginary lump of cheese hung in front of them that they get if they remain religious. You said this was for a "Majority"

    What I am saying and you so deftly avoiding is making assumptions about every single religious person like that is downright stupid and close minded.

    Also Nihilism isn't a theological stance.

    You really are shaping up to be my utter Antithesis in your clumsy staggering Philosophical stances.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Esdese View Post
    You do realize A applies to religious people too, right?
    He's your typical Internet Anti-theist. Do you really think he knows anything about religion apart from some people are nasty under it!

  13. #493
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,350
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    You "assumed" people stay religious purely due to some imaginary lump of cheese hung in front of them that they get if they remain religious. You said this was for a "Majority"

    What I am saying and you so deftly avoiding is making assumptions about every single religious person like that is downright stupid and close minded.

    Also Nihilism isn't a theological stance.

    You really are shaping up to be my utter Antithesis in your clumsy staggering Philosophical stances.
    Ethical nihilism is an ethical stance and an appropriate answer to "Where do you get your morals from?"


    I'm not sure why you think I'm trying to insult anyone. It's a simple fact of human reasoning that we're not as rational as we like to believe.

  14. #494
    Pandaren Monk
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Ferndale, MI
    Posts
    1,986
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    You spout off another stereotype again and then wonder what the hell you're doing?

    You firstly assume every religion is Catholic, I have no idea why. And secondly you assume every single action is done because of fear of some potential after death doom.

    Tell me exactly, Was Saint Francis going around the world doing all those good deeds because he was afraid of some Divine punishment? Was he driven by greed of his own soul?

    Would Saint Francis been a better man if he was an Atheist? You try to talk about moral choices and how mature you are than religious people yet your assuming they're all crazy folk and using petty minded bigotry just like you assume they do.

    THAT is why I call you a 12 year old.
    I don't know why Saint Francis did what he did, and neither do you. In answer to your question, yes he would have been a demonstrably better man if he did all those good things with no consideration for whether there was a god or not -- because he wouldn't have been operating in a reward/punishment scenario. What I do know is that it's very probable that the fear of being tortured for eternity influenced his decision making process, as well as the desire to be rewarded with eternal life.

    Surely you can see the difference between doing a good deed for the sake of it's goodness vs. doing a good deed for the sake of its goodness AND to avoid eternal torture AND to receive the reward of eternal life.

    You still haven't answered my question.

  15. #495
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Ethical nihilism is an ethical stance and an appropriate answer to "Where do you get your morals from?"


    I'm not sure why you think I'm trying to insult anyone. It's a simple fact of human reasoning that we're not as rational as we like to believe.
    Don't try to wax your pathetic Philosophical deadpan at me. You can't draw Morals from nihilism, it's very design is the absence of Philosophical ideas. You answer my question with a double negative.

    There is no such thing as Ethical Nihilism, anything you spout is merely some Americanized stupidty of misunderstanding what Nihilism is just like everyone misunderstand the phrase "God is Dead, and we killed him."

  16. #496
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    He's your typical Internet Anti-theist. Do you really think he knows anything about religion apart from some people are nasty under it!
    For someone that condemns assumptions and stereotyping this is rather ironic.

  17. #497
    Banned The Fiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Merry ol' England.
    Posts
    5,192
    Quote Originally Posted by BLCalliente View Post
    I don't know why Saint Francis did what he did, and neither do you. In answer to your question, yes he would have been a demonstrably better man if he did all those good things with no consideration for whether there was a god or not -- because he wouldn't have been operating in a reward/punishment scenario. What I do know is that it's very probable that the fear of being tortured for eternity influenced his decision making process, as well as the desire to be rewarded with eternal life.

    Surely you can see the difference between doing a good deed for the sake of it's goodness vs. doing a good deed for the sake of its goodness AND the threat of eternal torture and a reward of eternal life.





    Answer my question and I'll answer yours.
    Let's be honest here fedoracore, you have no idea who Saint Francis is do you?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    For someone that condemns assumptions and stereotyping this is rather ironic.
    Not only do you misuse the word Irony, you fail is grasp the concept that applying stereotypes and accusing stereotypes are not the same thing.

  18. #498
    Titan Nixx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    ooo es eh
    Posts
    12,350
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Don't try to wax your pathetic Philosophical deadpan at me. You can't draw Morals from nihilism, it's very design is the absence of Philosophical ideas. You answer my question with a double negative.

    There is no such thing as Ethical Nihilism, anything you spout is merely some Americanized stupidty of misunderstanding what Nihilism is just like everyone misunderstand the phrase "God is Dead, and we killed him."
    Uh huh... Now who's being a stereotyping asshole?

  19. #499
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Don't try to wax your pathetic Philosophical deadpan at me. You can't draw Morals from nihilism, it's very design is the absence of Philosophical ideas. You answer my question with a double negative.
    Nihilism is a legitimate (although in my opinion, incorrect) ethical understanding. If I asked you what angels looked like, saying you don't believe in angels is a complete answer.

    There is no such thing as Ethical Nihilism, anything you spout is merely some Americanized stupidty of misunderstanding what Nihilism is just like everyone misunderstand the phrase "God is Dead, and we killed him."
    Well ethical nihilism is an idea, and by merely mentioning its name you have proven its existence. Also, your boorishness does your argument (or lack, thereof) no service.

  20. #500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Don't try to wax your pathetic Philosophical deadpan at me. You can't draw Morals from nihilism, it's very design is the absence of Philosophical ideas. You answer my question with a double negative.
    Maybe you should wiki Nihilism before getting all dramatic.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •