10+ Year Old Account

European Court of Justice declares data retention directive invalid

http://curia.europa.eu/juris/documen...t=1&cid=391973

TL;DR version:

On those grounds, the Court (Grand Chamber) hereby rules:

Directive 2006/24/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 March 2006 on the retention of data generated or processed in connection with the provision of publicly available electronic communications services or of public communications networks and amending Directive 2002/58/EC is invalid.
    So, no more mandated storage of customer information for ISP's. Personally I'm quite thrilled . Do you think this will set a precedent for abolishing similar laws and directives?

The EU does something positive for a change.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    the announced changes in corporate loopholes aside?

- - - Updated - - -

the announced changes in corporate tax loopholes aside?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    the announced changes in corporate tax loopholes aside?
    The ECJ does not have legislative power, it is there to check that laws are in line with the constitution. Think of it as a bit like the Supreme Court in the US.

Give it a few days and the EU will repeal it under pressure from Washington.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    The ECJ does not have legislative power, it is there to check that laws are in line with the constitution. Think of it as a bit like the Supreme Court in the US.
    he was talking about the EU though
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    This will sound like they're paying me, but they don't actually do great stuff that rarely. I have the EU Parliament's Facebook page liked and every few days they seem to vote for something pretty awesome. A recent example is how they removed extra roaming prices outside one's given home country.