Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    No one has died yet, whereas there more than likely would already have been a fatality if firearms had been involved. If anything, this is a clear example of just how much firearms escalate situations, as opposed to other choices of weapon.
    While indeed no one has died yet is true. The problem is not the weapon used it's the fact it's happening a lot more often in US than we would all like it to. Whether it be guns, knives ninja swords whatever it's a disturbing trend.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post
    While indeed no one has died yet is true. The problem is not the weapon used it's the fact it's happening a lot more often in US than we would all like it to. Whether it be guns, knives ninja swords whatever it's a disturbing trend.
    Obviously the type of weapon used isn't really relevant if you want to stop things like this at the source, which is what's important, but I think the issues is that at least in the short term, on a case-by-case basis, the weapon used is relevant if you are wanting to simply reduce the death toll from killing sprees. You can use a wooden spoon as a weapon if you are really determined, but the death toll will be lower than if you use a knife, which will be lower than if you use a gun, which will be lower than if you use a tank, which will be lower than if you use a helicopter, which will be lower than if you used WMDs. Obviously you can't just 'ban everything!' but we do ban SOME things, and I guess people just question if the line at which we ban things has been drawn too far down the lethality end of the spectrum.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it an upward trend, downward, or about the same?

It's difficult to know just from media reports, as obviously there is a lot more exposure to international news now than there was previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Nice try gun grabber.

This just proves that knives should be banned.
    Why do you need a knife? You can cut with a spoon, you just have to put some effort into it.

Knives are horrible, ban knives.
    While both clearly present a potential for violent use, the threat posed by guns completely dwarfs that of knives, because of how much easier it is to use a gun to achieve your insidious ends. This is a fact that's corroborated by every US mass killing (and several individual shootings) that would not have occurred if the most the offender had was a knife, and further affirmed by how such instances of violence in countries with far stricter gun laws are much lower.

There's also the fact that knives clearly serve other distinct purposes, whereas a gun literally has no purpose other than to effectively wound/kill someone, or to at least present that level of threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    In fact, I quite like it and I would consider it an abuse to inflict my child with a foreskin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    You don't appear to understand how it works...they don't stick it on when the baby is born.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might sound stupid but...

It's a High School. High Scools have pretty big football players. Was there no one around to tackle him, and/or throw a chair at him? I mean seriously, unless he's a fucking ninja jumping in and out of the shadows beating him with a chair would have ended this easily.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Nice try gun grabber.

This just proves that knives should be banned.
    Why do you need a knife? You can cut with a spoon, you just have to put some effort into it.

Knives are horrible, ban knives.
    Maybe every school should have guards armed with swords? The obvious answer is to trow more weapons to the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post

It's a High School. High Scools have pretty big football players. Was there no one around to tackle him, and/or throw a chair at him? I mean seriously, unless he's a fucking ninja jumping in and out of the shadows beating him with a chair would have ended this easily.
    Panick, people are like sheep, one panicks they all panick, its a natural reaction caused by herd mentallity, if it where only 1-3 people confronted with a crazy knife maniac, then it would have more likely resulted in people fighting back.

Until the US takes mental health on as an issue this trend will likely continue. Parents need to get a backbone and do a better job with their kids. Schools need to get their heads out out of the fear of political correctness cloud and take more of a role of monitoring the behavior of its students. Make the parents more accountable for their child's behavior.

Deleted

No one wants to run at the guy with a knife, being a big guy just means more of you to stab.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    No one wants to run at the guy with a knife, being a big guy just means more of you to stab.
    Maybe if you were a gay super soldier...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Maybe if you were a gay super soldier...
    I've got you covered.

I guess now is the time for knife control.

Deleted
    I've got you covered.

And I thought followers of Slaanesh were the perverted ones......

Deleted
    Ah they didn't even show a picture of the guy in the clip. Boring. I wanted to see some parent interviews and shit. I love it when they are like 'oh my son was such a nice boy'. Only nice people seem to die on the news so my advice is be a dick. I hate to speculate but its usually some bullied little fuck who gets pushed too far. Then they call him a coward. The cowards the fucking 16stone wrestler kid who sits behind him in class wacking him around saying 'what you gonna do'. But yea speculation ill be back when there are more deets.

Deleted
    I've got you covered.

This reminds me of that episode of Ghost in the Shell, the one with the multiped goes on a rampage, way too much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not happening much more than it ever did before. Its just being reported worldwide more frequently due to 24 hour "news" channels grasping for stories to fill airtime with. Although you would expect the number to increase as population increases especially in population dense cities where people are jammed into schools like cockroaches

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Obviously the type of weapon used isn't really relevant if you want to stop things like this at the source, which is what's important, but I think the issues is that at least in the short term, on a case-by-case basis, the weapon used is relevant if you are wanting to simply reduce the death toll from killing sprees. You can use a wooden spoon as a weapon if you are really determined, but the death toll will be lower than if you use a knife, which will be lower than if you use a gun, which will be lower than if you use a tank, which will be lower than if you use a helicopter, which will be lower than if you used WMDs. Obviously you can't just 'ban everything!' but we do ban SOME things, and I guess people just question if the line at which we ban things has been drawn too far down the lethality end of the spectrum.
    The only 2 options for stopping it is to either have every student enter a body scanner like they had at the airports as they enter the school, or make everyone who comes into a school come in naked and have a cavity search done on them as well as banning all bags

Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Seems like this world is just getting out of control.
    Out of control eh? HA! This is child play in the grand scheme of just 24 hours on Earth.

What the CNN article fails to mention is the call to action by the students. It is very impressive that many of the students knew exactly what to do in this situation in regards to administering first aid for those who were injured. Several students stepped up to the plate in the emergency and saved several lives of students who were in danger of bleeding out.

Also to mention, Franklin Regional is actually a very well respected high school in the area and is honestly one of the last places you would think to hear something like this happen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post

The only 2 options for stopping it is to either have every student enter a body scanner like they had at the airports as they enter the school, or make everyone who comes into a school come in naked
    Well, I'm not saying it's a practical long-term solution, but we do it in airports... Until you get round to fixing the cause of the problem... Gunshot wounds ruin your day far worse than body scanners.

10+ Year Old Account
    People like that are sick in every sense of the word

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimeir View Post
    What the CNN article fails to mention is the call to action by the students. It is very impressive that many of the students knew exactly what to do in this situation in regards to administering first aid for those who were injured. Several students stepped up to the plate in the emergency and saved several lives of students who were in danger of bleeding out.

Also to mention, Franklin Regional is actually a very well respected high school in the area and is honestly one of the last places you would think to hear something like this happen.
    You'd think someone would have stopped the knife wielding asshole sooner though. I'm not saying they should've charged at the perpetrator barehanded, but if you can't shoot then at least throw chairs or something. Grab backpacks and throw those in unison.
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/09/justic...ng/index.html?

Seems like this world is just getting out of control. Four have been flown to hospitals, hopefully everyone is okay. Had it been a gun they'd likely be dead.
    The stabbing in China a few weeks ago, many did die. The truth is a lot of things besides guns can kill people. The real answer is to have armed guards in each school. Not like the chances are good we can correct our issues with social instructions on good behavior bull crap. If some people decide to kill or injure several the best solution is to take them out.