Is Elder Scrolls Online worth investing in ?

as the title says is ESO worth the £50?
    i played skyrim and enjoyed it but not sure about ESO

Quote Originally Posted by jolinaar View Post
    as the title says is ESO worth the £50?
    i played skyrim and enjoyed it but not sure about ESO
    It depends on what you are looking for. Are you wanting an mmo like WoW where you can blindly quest and follow markers, or are you looking for an experience close to Skyrim, but with people? ESO is more like the latter. The game is highly focused on exploration and an evolving story. The level pace is VERY slow compared to most mmos. There are still those that have managed to already hit 50, but they have skipped questing entirely, which has put them at a disadvantage skill point wise (many quests reward you with skill points)

Currently the game is in fantastic shape for a fresh mmo. Sure, there have been several bugs, but honestly if you didn't expect them then you don't understand just how complex an mmo is, especially one working off a megaserver. The team has been quick to resolve most of the issues, and continue to address further reported issues. They have also announced a content patch to be released by the end of the month that will bring in a raid type system (12 man groups).

I personally have not played an mmo that has engrossed me this much since first playing WoW back in 2004. The world is IMMENSELY huge, and I am constantly finding something new going on. I've played for about 20 hours and reached level 20 last night. The first zone took me nearly 15 hours to fully complete every quest, elite mob pack, mini-dungeon, etc. I've barely even touched crafting, nor have I been exploring for skyshards (only found the ones I happen to come across). A couple of the quest lines are a bit dull (imo), but there is a main story for each area, and once you complete it the NPCs actually remember you for it. It makes for a very immersive world.

As far as PvP goes, your experience will depend upon which campaign you choose. I am in Wabbajack, and my faction, the Ebonheart Pact, are currently in last place, but not too far behind. Keeps are taken, fall, and then taken again, so it makes for constant battles and action all over the map. As an archer I can sit back and pick people off that try to push the line too far, and I can also easily scout other bases to let my team know of vulnerable targets. I enjoy ESO's answer to Realm vs. Realm waaaay more than I did GW2's.

Honestly, all in all it's still a little to early to say where exactly this mmo is going, but so far I have a lot of confidence in Zenimax to make this great game even better. It's a game that you should go into not caring about reaching endgame, and min/maxing your character, but rather go into with a mindset of wanting to explore and become part of the world. You can easily have fun rushing the game too, if suits your fancy, but you will be doing yourself a disservice by passing up incredibly engaging story lines along the way to 50.
    Last edited by Freshie Fresh; 2014-04-09 at 04:48 PM.

Hard to say exactly. ESO is not Skyrim although the controls are almost exactly the same. So I can't say "if you liked Skyrim, you'll like ESO" because that's simply not true.

Personally, I feel it's worh every penny for the initial investment, but it remains to be seen if the game is worth the subscription. There is so much to do and enjoy on the way to max level that I feel it's totally worth the buy. The end game is still ambiguous, I'm not sure how much there is to do at end game, and what you actually do at end game (gear progression, crafting, reputation, PvP, etc...) that will keep you busy for days, weeks, months, etc... between content patches.

not caring about reaching endgame
    How's the endgame? Is it more WoW-alike, heroic dungeons > raids etc or more GW2 style with harder dungeon content only and world bosses / elits?

Because one thing I truelly love bout WoW back in the day, you couldn't stop being stronger all the time. Max level, hit dungeons til you are strong enough for first tier raids and gradually go over to other raids once you getting stronger etc.

Why i'm not comparing to nowadays is because after 3 months, everyone is waiting for the next patch of raid.
    Last edited by Restors; 2014-04-09 at 04:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say good for the playthrough/ quests once but not worth the monthly fee after...

I like Skyrim more, at least I get to be the only hero and make my own choices where to drop all my loot, if in a cave or some house up on the mountain that is abandoned. For a MMO experience, I always enjoy my time in World of Warcraft and see no reason to invest in another MMO as Blizzard is very good at making my investment in World of Warcraft worth it as they arn't slowing down on all the new technical bits they craft to make the game better and content, etc.

But if you don't have fun in World of Warcraft, and you don't have fun in Skyrim, but you want to be social, maybe you should give The Elder Scrolls Online a go?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and by the way, please check http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/categories/EN-customer-support for questions you may have on your mind, I'm sure you find many answers there.

It's great, i've been enjoying it as an extended singleplayer campaign thus far, once i get to pvp and end game content we'll see if the sub is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    How's the endgame? Is it more WoW-alike, heroic dungeons > raids etc or more GW2 style with harder dungeon content only and world bosses / elits?

Because one thing I truelly love bout WoW back in the day, you couldn't stop being stronger all the time. Max level, hit dungeons til you are strong enough for first tier raids and gradually go over to other raids once you getting stronger etc.

Why i'm not comparing to nowadays is because after 3 months, everyone is waiting for the next patch of raid.
    Definitely GW2. Currently there are 6 "heroic" versions of leveling dungeons, a few world bosses and that's it. More group PvE endgame is supposed to be out within a month, but that remains to be seen.

Edit: that being said, the questing is top notch and will keep you busy for at least a month, especially since you need to get VR10 (the "leveling" after 50) to do the Group PvE endgame.
    Last edited by Therec; 2014-04-09 at 05:20 PM.

Thats the "endgame", it should come out 1 month after release or so. The first adventure zone

thanks for all the input guys it's much appreciated,i will look into it a bit more before i decide.I've been playing WoW for near on 8 years and was looking for something a little different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jolinaar View Post
    thanks for all the input guys it's much appreciated,i will look into it a bit more before i decide.I've been playing WoW for near on 8 years and was looking for something a little different.

I think your like myself but no matter how nice the game is i,m probably still not going to play it (played it in the beta test) was pleasantly surprised after the horror stories i heard .

The main issue is myself palying wow for 8 years straight its not me getting bored with wow its me getting bored with fantasy mmos in general i,d love something futuristic .I may give ESO a look into as i,m bored in wow at mo and the break might be nice but honestly over all i,m in no real rush .

Now when i played the beta the game looked nice the armor looked fantastic and yes it was immersive the biggest stumblnig block for me would be the sub will i get my moneys worth out of it if i was only going to play it once or twice a month then no if i get hooked and enjoy it then yes .

But only time will tell so to speak.
    Faith Manages

Please use the megathread for ESO related questions.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Scrolls-Online