Poll: Do you like this idea

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Idea for WoD: Aimed shot change

dropping this on MMO-c as well so see what yall think

Currently MM is in an odd spot there are 2 schools of thought on how it should play, which we will get to in a min, first lets talk about this glyph. currently no matter your school of thought this glyph feel mandatory especially in PVP , so let roll the glyphs effect into the default abilities of Aimed shot, logically this change makes sense but it leaves of with a useless glyph. This brings us to the change and back to the schools of thought, school 1) they like the 0 CD 3 sec cast version of aimed shot and mainly only use it on master marksman (MM) Procs, School 2) the school I apply to, we hate the cast time, it makes one of our signature spells feel like a burden cause we like to focus dump using Aimed shot, to this end lets change the now pointless glyph to aid the 2nd school of thought in its play style.

The Change
    ..........Glyph of Aimed Shot: Your Aimed shot No longer has a cast time; However, It now has a 6 second cool down. Additionally your steady shot can no longer trigger the Master Marksman effect.

This change allows for a different play style of marksman play that centers around instant large damage on a cool down and at the same time the additional effect of the glyph prevents any risk of the dreaded triple threat Insta-kill that could occur if the Master Marksman effect was left in with this glyph active.

Mod-note: Moving this to Hunter forum.
    Last edited by Lochton; 2014-04-09 at 07:51 PM.

I don't see how this would make the glyph any less mandatory in order to be competitive in PVP as MM.

Without glyph:
    • Aimed Shot can be used while moving
    • Aimed Shot has no CD
    • Aimed Shot has 3 second cast time
    • Steady Shot can trigger Master Marksman

With glyph:
    • Aimed Shot has 6 second CD
    • Aimed Shot has no cast time
    • Steady Shot can not trigger Master Marksman (Pointless since the 6 second CD prevents you from getting more than one off every 6 seconds anyways)

In other words, without the glyph, you MIGHT get an instant cast Aimed Shot every 6 seconds but only if every single Steady Shot gives you a stack of Master Marksman and you do nothing but cast Steady Shot in between Aimed Shots or with the glyph, you are GUARANTEED to get an instant cast Aimed Shot every 6 seconds, without having to use Steady Shot or relying on procs. Yea...that doesn't sound like it's mandatory for PVP at all...

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    I don't see how this would make the glyph any less mandatory in order to be competitive in PVP as MM.

Without glyph:
    • Aimed Shot has no CD
    • Aimed Shot has 3 second cast time
    • Steady Shot can trigger Master Marksman

With glyph:
    • Aimed Shot has 6 second CD
    • Aimed Shot has no cast time
    • Steady Shot can not trigger Master Marksman (Pointless since the 6 second CD prevents you from getting more than one off every 6 seconds anyways)

In other words, without the glyph, you MIGHT get an instant cast Aimed Shot every 6 seconds but only if every single Steady Shot gives you a stack of Master Marksman and you do nothing but cast Steady Shot in between Aimed Shots or with the glyph, you are GUARANTEED to get an instant cast Aimed Shot every 6 seconds, without having to use Steady Shot or relying on procs. Yea...that doesn't sound like it's mandatory for PVP at all...
    true but again its meant to allow for 2 different play styles some hunter love Aimed shot for PVP others prefer arcane shot cause with TotH it's only 10 focus, but remember this change is meant to help BOTH PVP and PVE MM hunters that apply to the school of Aimed shot focus dump. Its not perfect but it will allow for a little diversity.
    Last edited by krunksmash; 2014-04-09 at 06:21 PM.

..I don't think this would make sense for MM. It's kind of a sniper-like class, it wouldnt make sense to have all instant cast shots minus steady focus. Maybe that's just me 0-o

Are you taking into account that MM with no longer have Arcane Shot in WoD? Aimed Shot is taking its place as the focus dump for MM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    Are you taking into account that MM with no longer have Arcane Shot in WoD? Aimed Shot is taking its place as the focus dump for MM.
    Exactly.. you'd cycle Chimera shot and steady shot.. I dont even what

I added a 6 sec CD rather then a 3sec to try and keep the QQ OP crybabies to a minimum, TBH just taking the current aimed shot and making it instant with 3 sec CD would be the best solution. a 3 sec cast on aimed shot never felt right. it made the spell feel cumbersome.

Nobody uses the glyph in pvp

The shot is meant to feel cumbersome. MM is designed as a high-power turret spec. But the cumbersome-ness is rewarded when you get one off in a clutch situation.

I've been a Hunter 8 years and here is my 2 cents.

Aimed shot needs to be useable while moving (unglyphed. Having to turret Aimed shots will destroy MM Hunters in Arena). It shouldn't be instant. Instant cast abilities are boring and it will hurt Aimed Damage. A casted Aimed Shot should hurt, really hurt. There is no way Aimed will remain a serious nuke if you can make it instant. There will be a flood of QQ.

Instead make Aimed a long cast and add more chances to proc instants.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Artemishowl View Post
    I'd love to see Chimera Shot replaced. It feels totally out of place in the MM tree and doesn't make much sense in it's current iteration (it's super boring, imo).

Quote Originally Posted by Artemishowl View Post
    Would be neat if it had a bit of a variable resource cost, costing more if you're at full focus and less if you're at medium focus with damage going up or down accordingly. (like heroic strike) letting you bleed out focus faster when you've got DB up or a ToTH proc. (Alternatively, have a reduced cast time for increased focus cost.)

Well another issue is that MM in WoD will need the old aimed glyph. Imagine taking Focusing Shot and not being able to use Aimed while moving: that specc would be more rooted to the ground than an arcane mage...

Even if instant Aimed sounds nice, instants are always subjects to burstdmg concerns:
    Imagine something simple as Powershot into Aimed and Chimera... (+ autohits, petdmg etc) that's a fuckton of dmg the enemy receives in just 2 globals...

We had instant aimed shot all throughout wrath it had 50% healing debuff and did about half the damage of chimera with sting up

Responded to your on the official forums.

That would be terrible, especially considering the fact that Arcane Shot has been removed for Marks. You would just be mashing Steady Shot without concern for Focus balancing.

It would be a straight up rotation of Steady Steady Aimed Steady Steady Chimera Steady Steady Aimed etc etc etc. It would be back to the BC/Wrath model of pressing Steady Shot until a button lights up and defeat the point of Focus.

Would rather see a different proc or something added to Marks that could be bled off for movement in PvP. Or give it a low damage low cost filler shot to capture the feel of say a sniper grabbing their sidearm when having to move. Something that's not efficient to use in the standard rotation but keeps something going when moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a fundamental issue with this, namely that one will math out to be a DPS increase (using the new glyph or not) and Blizzard has stated a number times that glyphs should be cosmetic / utility-based ONLY.

If the glyph results in a DPS increase then it will either get removed or be swiftly nerfed. If it happens that the glyph is a DPS loss, then we have two additional issues: MM movement in PvE situations would be crippled (remember you replaced the old one and we have no Arcane Shot anymore); AND this glyph will now become a PvP only glyph as it would be a DPS loss in PvE situations and no "good" Hunter would use it.

The goal of this expansion is to: remove the clutter of spells; AND to make each spec "feel" different. You say you want a different play style, but all this will do is make every shot except for SS be instant. How is that a step in the right direction from what we have now? Every spec would then have only instant shots except for the focus builder.

Also, if you are playing MM right now and only using Aimed Shot on procs you are probably doing it wrong. And I am sorry to say that if you don't like the cast-time of Aimed Shot, we do have two other specs with no other cast-time focus dumps.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that sucks about play marks now is that casting aimed shot stops auto shot, since they are changing this in WoD I think the spec will feel fine.

a casted aimed shot will be ok if they reduce its cast time 3 sec base is way to long lower it to 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    a casted aimed shot will be ok if they reduce its cast time 3 sec base is way to long lower it to 2.5
    It already is 2.5.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It already is 2.5.
    last i checked the base cast time is 3 sec not 2.5

EDIT looked it up your right must be a text bug in my client.

No. Also the idiotic way you formulated the poll option for anyone who disagrees with you is childish and costs you any sort of legitimacy.