Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

All these BM guides. Where is the love for Survival?

I recently started to raid some on my hunter after playing warrior for a very long time and I wonder if there is any good Survival spec out there? I prefer Surv over BM because it feels more fluid and I really like Explosive Shot, however. On the warrior forum we have one sticky thread for each spec containing a very well written guide by the active hardcore warriors over there. I wonder why there isnt any of this here?

On another note, I have a question about general focus management if anyone have time to answer it.

As I have played a warrior for most of my raiding "career" Im very used to the rage system and that you should stack alot of rage and then unleash it during certain phases of your rotation. I have come to learn that focus works abit the same except its constantly regeneration.
    What Im doing now is I try to never cap on focus but always have enough to cast my abilities on CD (ES, BA etc) which results in I rarely are using all of my focus. Is this the correct way of using focus?

Sorry for the semi-long post hopefully someone wants to read it

Cheers.

PS. If there is any good survival or focus guide out there, i would appreciate if someone would link it. For example is the icy veins one good? For warriors its complete dog shit.

Well I tried BM the past few days but there's a weird bug about pets not stacking Frenzy properly so I reverted to SV. In my opinion SV is my preferred spec because it gives me the feeling of a ranged caster due the magical damage we do. I think I'll stick to SV the rest of my life.

Regarding your doubt, you should always have enough Focus to cast BA and ES when they come off CD. Meanwhile, spend it by casting AS. The exception (correct me if I'm wrong) is if you have 4 T16 pz in that scenario using ES when LnL pops is a DPS gain no matter if you Focus Cap or Serpent Sting falls, the stacking damage of ES is way superior.
    Howl to the stars wishing I could be one....

10+ Year Old Account
    For surv you do not want to use BA on cd! (if you have aoc)
    You shouldnt overlap BA, unless you got a stronger debuff.
    During long LnL chains you simply spam explo and let your focus cap, it is not worth keeping serpent sting up or weaving in AS while thats going on.
    You should however keep BA up during it. <- If LnL just procced, just keep spamming explo and wait awhile befoure you re aply it (10sec icd for lnl.) But if your on a long LnL chain and you know 8sec ish has passed you dont let BA fall off.

Inbetween LnL procs : AS spam + Gt with the occasional amoc/ cobra shot

Icy veins/noxxic is pretty much shit for everything exept learing the simplest basics.
    Last edited by Ettan; 2014-04-15 at 04:11 AM.

There is a survival guide, I should probably PM one of the mods to sticky it again since I updated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post
    There is a survival guide, I should probably PM one of the mods to sticky it again since I updated it.
    Updated or not, it's still bad, with terrible information and looks like a 2 year old designed the layout.

Deleted
    Surv Hunters don't need guides.

They adapt, they Survive.

pun intended

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    Updated or not, it's still bad, with terrible information and looks like a 2 year old designed the layout.
    improve it or make your own or just don't post about it.

You're probably just jelly you've not ever made a thread with over 1000 views let alone almost 300k

improve it or make your own or just don't post about it.

You're probably just jelly you've not ever made a thread with over 1000 views let alone almost 300k
    I feel off my chair laughing thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    I feel off my chair laughing thanks.
    me too

lets be friends?

me too

lets be friends?
    dang I'm mad jelly now

Quote Originally Posted by tankz0 View Post
    What Im doing now is I try to never cap on focus but always have enough to cast my abilities on CD (ES, BA etc) which results in I rarely are using all of my focus. Is this the correct way of using focus?
    PS. If there is any good survival or focus guide out there, i would appreciate if someone would link it. For example is the icy veins one good? For warriors its complete dog shit.
    It's not, no, focus is way more fluid than that. There are no "general rules" other than "have enough focus for ES/BA/GT when they come up". Any focus you don't use is wasted, basically, capped or not, UNLESS it's helping you get your shots off on cooldown.

Focus management here is what seperates the good from the bad and the great from the good, etc. It's pretty easy to play a hunter if you just spam Cobra Shot while hitting some other buttons on cooldown.

You wanna get as many Arcanes off as possible without dropping focus to use ES/BA on cooldown. Learning this takes practice.

As for SV guides, I think people don't delve that much into it because it is, at its core, possibly one of the easiest specs in the game, right now, but a little bird has told me that an SV guide al'á the BM one that was just created is coming soon™

I might write guides for WoD too when 6.0 is out (for the specs I play, anyway), if people would be interested.
    Last edited by Azortharion; 2014-04-15 at 10:25 AM.

I currently have a Survival guide in the making.
    Wreckér
    BM Hunter Guide at Warcraft Academy

Deleted
    Thanks for your answers guys, I think Ill just have to practice it more.

Another question I have is about cooldowns. As a warrior you want to stack as may cooldowns as possible during you colossus smashes, which sometimes results in you having to delay some of them for a few seconds. Is this worth doing as a hunter? Lets say my trinkets are coming of ICD in a few seconds and my Stampede, AMOC or Rapid Fire just got of CD, should I wait or just use them asap?

I guess my question is which CDs scales with each other and which CDs scales with agility proccs and Attack Speed (not haste, Rapid Fire).

Thanks guys!

Deleted
    Forget survival. I'm astonished by the lack of MM guides.

Thanks for your answers guys, I think Ill just have to practice it more.

Another question I have is about cooldowns. As a warrior you want to stack as may cooldowns as possible during you colossus smashes, which sometimes results in you having to delay some of them for a few seconds. Is this worth doing as a hunter? Lets say my trinkets are coming of ICD in a few seconds and my Stampede, AMOC or Rapid Fire just got of CD, should I wait or just use them asap?

I guess my question is which CDs scales with each other and which CDs scales with agility proccs and Attack Speed (not haste, Rapid Fire).

Thanks guys!
    stampede you want to line up with your AoC procs, the cooldown is long enough that you can delay it for 30 seconds or so. Always take your own personal fight lengths into account though, there are situations where you cannot delay stampede (mostly when you overgear and fights go under 4minutes).

Crows also "mostly" lines up with AoC procs but its same with locks and dark soul, its not always perfect.

Apart from those 2 you only really have rapid fire and that should be used on cd

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphoric View Post
    It's not, no, focus is way more fluid than that. There are no "general rules" other than "have enough focus for ES/BA/GT when they come up". Any focus you don't use is wasted, basically, capped or not, UNLESS it's helping you get your shots off on cooldown.

Focus management here is what seperates the good from the bad and the great from the good, etc. It's pretty easy to play a hunter if you just spam Cobra Shot while hitting some other buttons on cooldown.

You wanna get as many Arcanes off as possible without dropping focus to use ES/BA on cooldown. Learning this takes practice.

As for SV guides, I think people don't delve that much into it because it is, at its core, possibly one of the easiest specs in the game, right now, but a little bird has told me that an SV guide al'á the BM one that was just created is coming soon™

I might write guides for WoD too when 6.0 is out (for the specs I play, anyway), if people would be interested.
    Saying it's one of the easiest specs in the game is a bit of a broad statement though. There are plenty of specs in this game right now that are just as easy to get to grips with, well over half the specs in the game. Hunter specs in general are quite simple to play, and although BM is slighty more thought-provoking than SV in cleave situations, it's still also in the boat of the much less complicated specs.
    Last edited by mmoce7fe1d879b; 2014-04-15 at 02:04 PM.

Deleted
    stampede you want to line up with your AoC procs, the cooldown is long enough that you can delay it for 30 seconds or so. Always take your own personal fight lengths into account though, there are situations where you cannot delay stampede (mostly when you overgear and fights go under 4minutes).

Crows also "mostly" lines up with AoC procs but its same with locks and dark soul, its not always perfect.

Apart from those 2 you only really have rapid fire and that should be used on cd
    Nice answer, thank you.

Btw I read somewhere that BA scales with Rapid Fire and should be delayed so they are used at the same time, is this true?

Deleted
    I recently started to raid some on my hunter after playing warrior for a very long time and I wonder if there is any good Survival spec out there? I prefer Surv over BM because it feels more fluid and I really like Explosive Shot, however. On the warrior forum we have one sticky thread for each spec containing a very well written guide by the active hardcore warriors over there. I wonder why there isnt any of this here?

On another note, I have a question about general focus management if anyone have time to answer it.

As I have played a warrior for most of my raiding "career" Im very used to the rage system and that you should stack alot of rage and then unleash it during certain phases of your rotation. I have come to learn that focus works abit the same except its constantly regeneration.

Sorry for the semi-long post hopefully someone wants to read it

Cheers.

Beast Cleave is hard yo, that shit needs instructions.

The magic number for SV is 60, as that is the cost of AMoC and also the cost of ES+BA. These are the two scenarios where you need to plan significantly ahead. For the rest, try to limit the number of full-cost Arcane's you cast while not capping. That extra cobra to see if ToTH pops can make a difference.

Be especially careful with the number of Arcane's you cast during execute, as you are often casting KS instead of Cobra, leaving you with less available focus to dump.

When AMoC comes off CD, sit at (very)high focus ready to get crows up the seconds AoC pops.

Event Horizon is pretty nice for practising getting your ES off perfectly on CD. Don't delay that shit, its bad.

Guide done.
    Last edited by mmoc89dd5782ca; 2014-04-15 at 03:29 PM.

Nice answer, thank you.

Btw I read somewhere that BA scales with Rapid Fire and should be delayed so they are used at the same time, is this true?
    none of our dots scale with haste and even if they did, rapid fire grants ranged haste which is not the same as regular haste

Deleted
    Nice answer, thank you.

As post above said, nope. Our dots don't scale with haste. They will scale your agi trinkets in SoO though, so if you can snapshot a black arrow on the target when your trinkets about to fall off (even if you over-ride a tick) it's worth it.
    Last edited by mmoce7fe1d879b; 2014-04-15 at 05:49 PM.