Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll support this bill when splitting the bill becomes the social norm on a date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    It implies sexism because it happens in places dominated by women such as nursing, secretaries and teachers.

You're welcome to google the studies yourself (some of them are public, some aren't, so I really can't give you the ones I read which aren't), I'm only relaying what I learned from my studies on the subject several years ago (and no, things to not change that quickly over a few years).

Yes, across the board women make on average less than men, but in some jobs women are paid more, or pretty darn equally =/-5%, which makes the average pay gap different and lack meaning in comparison to the specific pay gaps in specific fields and professions.
    That's not how it works. If you make a claim, then you provide the evidence. You can't just say "Look it up yourself" and then act as if that proves something.

I also don't understand why the jobs being female dominant somehow implies sexism more than male dominant jobs. Just because somebody said so?
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Hey man, if the outcomes across all race and gender demographics aren't exactly the same, it's clearly a result of discrimination and the government obviously has to intervene.
    Isn't it funny how all unequal outcomes seem to benefit white men? What a crazy coincidence!

That will have no negative consequences at all of course. Because reasons.
    Only if you consider making misogynists butthurt (which you seem to).
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

This seems worth sharing with the thread since these things are always low on data.

Yes there is a gap. 77 cents on the dollar is accurate but lacks nuance. There is plenty of evidence there is some pay discrimination against women that varies by industry. Some of it is also based around decisions women make. Those decisions themselves may be subject to discrimination etc..

Turns out nuanced issue is nuanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Octavios View Post
    Having a cure for cancer will actually negatively affect the US economy.

Because in today's world, money is worth more than people.

*looks back in history* Nevermind..
    Technically financially curing canver would make less money being used to work on those that have cancer and try and treat them. WIN WIN!
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    That's a red herring I believe.
    How is it a red herring? He said that any equality forced by the government is bad. I just want him to own that statement.

Deleted
    In the European union Equal pay for equal work is a fundamental right. USA is a decade behind in civil rights it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    "For reasons known only to them, Senate Republicans don’t seem to be interested in" doing diddlysquat. Well, unless it personally benefits them.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    It implies sexism because it happens in places dominated by women such as nursing, secretaries and teachers.

You're welcome to google the studies yourself (some of them are public, some aren't, so I really can't give you the ones I read which aren't), I'm only relaying what I learned from my studies on the subject several years ago (and no, things to not change that quickly over a few years).

Yes, across the board women make on average less than men, but in some jobs women are paid more, or pretty darn equally =/-5%, which makes the average pay gap different and lack meaning in comparison to the specific pay gaps in specific fields and professions.
    Taking nursing, I am finding trouble locating exact numbers on this. But this is a interesting take on it though it doesn't specify where the numbers came from... (Found references was just blind apparently.)

Male and female nurses hired right out of school into the same area generally make the same salary, especially in unionized hospitals, where salaries are standardized by experience. As their careers advance, male nurses generally make more than women, either because they choose nursing specialties that pay more, such as anesthesiology, or because they advance into management positions, which pay more. In 2010, the median weekly salary for male nurses was $1,201, compared to $1,039 for women -- 86 percent of the male nurse's salary, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

The alone would say there is a pay gap. Follow that with this.

About 7 percent of nurses are men, according to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Then combine that with this.

Men represent about 45 percent of nurse anesthetists, one of the highest-paying nursing specialties, according to the Anesthesia Zone website.

Which would help explain why the first listed item has a gap. Now, without delving deeper into it and seeing exact numbers... I say do as I am and take it with a grain of salt, but the perception and what I am reading don't exactly seem that far out of line.

Reference. http://work.chron.com/gender-equalit...ers-11250.html
    Don't know exactly how reliable it is but references are towards the bottom of it. Still reading into the references but it sort of makes sense.
    Last edited by theostrichsays; 2014-04-10 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    How is it a red herring? He said that any equality forced by the government is bad. I just want him to own that statement.
    Doesn't really make it not a red herring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    "For reasons known only to them, Senate Republicans don’t seem to be interested in" doing diddlysquat. Well, unless it personally benefits them.
    Isn't that modern politicians in general? At least republicans don't hide it behind claims of social justice like democrats.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by kreebs View Post
    In the European union Equal pay for equal work is a fundamental right. USA is a decade behind in civil rights it seems.
    I love how this position always assumes that the salary movement will be women moving up. In the shit economy we are stuck in where there is a worker supply surplus what makes you think that it wouldn't just result in men's salaries moving downward. I know, we can do the great liberal idea of wage controls because you know that has never been a complete fucking disaster.

This is just politics as usual on both sides.

Pretty sure the Democrats knew the legislation would fail...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SirPiken View Post
    I love how this position always assumes that the salary movement will be women moving up. In the shit economy we are stuck in where there is a worker supply surplus what makes you think that it wouldn't just result in men's salaries moving downward. I know, we can do the great liberal idea of wage controls because you know that has never been a complete fucking disaster.
    What kind of terrible inefficient company pays male workers more than they need to for no reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

So men deserve to succeed at the expense of women? Yeah, good luck with that, asshole.

Also, who's talking about wage control? Have you read the bill? Didn't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't really make it not a red herring.
    Yeah, I don't think you know what that term means.

Isn't that modern politicians in general? At least republicans don't hide it behind claims of social justice like democrats.
    Yeah, because if there's one thing our country can do without, it's justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    So men deserve to succeed at the expense of women? Yeah, good luck with that, asshole.

Also, who's talking about wage control? Have you read the bill? Didn't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I don't think you know what that term means.

Yeah, because if there's one thing our country can do without, it's justice.
    How would controlling how wages are distributed not be wage control?

Deleted
    Pay gaps exist everywhere. Gender, age, ethnicity, race, culture, industry.

Even how attractive you are: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...55331418204842
    http://www.businessinsider.com/attra...cessful-2012-9

There are often valid reasons for observing a pay gap between groups. Men are better investments in long term employment, simply due to sociological factors, namely the division of labour. Attractive people probably earn more because clients like them more, or they're simply more pleasant to look at day in day out and give the firm a better look.

Who the fuck is talking about wage controls?

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    Equal pay for equal work. Nothing wrong with that. People who think there is a war on women are delusional. Forced equality is never good.
    What equality do we have that wasn't "forced" lol? It's all mandated by law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

How would controlling how wages are distributed not be wage control?
    How is paying men more for doing the same work as women discrimination?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Who the fuck is talking about wage controls?
    Dumbasses, same as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What equality do we have that wasn't "forced" lol? It's all mandated by law.
    No! That's a red herring!

10+ Year Old Account
    The idea is equal wage for equal work. As long as they're accomplishing identical productivity, then why not pay them the same? Makes no difference who's doing the work...at least it shouldn't.

Now, if the productivity is less, of course pay them less. Somehow I don't think that's the reason here.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.

Also as a quick look into the teaching portion...
    http://www.menteach.org/resources/da...t_men_teachers

In the link it has graphs for a couple years along with links to BLS, but 2011 42 percent of secondary school teachers were males, while 18.3 percent were elementary/middle school teachers.
    Wikipedia is one of the only places I could find numbers for college.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess..._United_States

If implying sexism based on the averages, it would sort of make sense same with the nursing field that if there was less men in teaching, and those that are teaching tend to migrate towards higher paid jobs then likely the average would be skewed to them earning more.