Thread: Internet Help

Internet Help

Hi MMOC, lately I've seen some issue with my internet.

What it does: Works fine one second, then suddenly it will die, but not completely. Videos stop buffering, webpages stop loading (but if you wait long enough some websites partially load),

What it doesn't do:it doesn't disconnect me from voice chats (eg. raidcall), it also doesn't disconnect me from wow, but my latency does shoot up.

I feel like this is an ISP issue because my brother said it happens on his computer, but I don't really trust him because...just because it's him, so please take that into consideration.

Does anyone know of things I can do to check/identify a problem? Or should I just call my ISP?

Maybe your brother is downloading a river of pron.

Your modem should have monitoring info about how much data is currently going up and down. Check that next time it slows down and see if he's flooding your connection.

Are you wired or wireless? What is the topology like for you in house network? have you tried rebooting your network and your computers? What browser are you using? have you ran malware bytes, emptied your cookies and caches? If you call your ISP these are all questions they are going to ask first. I suggest ruling all of these things out first.

10+ Year Old Account
    How to check if it's your brother messing with you:
    Open cmd.exe
    Win7: press start, type in cmd and press enter
    WinXP: press start, run, type in cmd.exe and press enter
    Win8:
    press the key combination [Win-Logo]+[R], then simply type the command cmd and confirm that with [ENTER] or by pressing the button [OK]!
    Then, you type in "ipconfig /all" without the quotation marks.
    You will see something similar:

What you need to look for, is "Default Gateway ... xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
    Then when your internet stalls, you need to type in "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -n 20" the (-n 20 specifies it will ping 20 times).
    When it's done pinging, you will get info with last being "Average = Y ms" if Y is more then 10ms, you got a proper in your home LAN. If it's less, then you try to ping something outside, for example "ping google.com -n 20" if those pings are normal, then something might be wrong with your computer.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Sounds to me like your router is either taking a shit, or there is some kind of malware running amok on yours or your brother's computer.

What mayhem suggested should be your first task. Restart your network devices...just powercycle the router/modem and run malwarebytes on both computers, preferably in safe mode. Some of the recent shit like ZBot absolutely wreck connections just flooding UDP data out.

Once you've ruled that part out, should call your ISP to inspect your modem/line, might just be simple packet loss.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Have you talked to your ISP? I talked to mine earlier today (Time Warner Cable, in Raleigh, NC) and there is a "partial outage" in my area ... whatever that means. I've been getting DC'd multiple times per day for about 2 weeks now.
    Obviously, it's working now, but barely. I normally get ~25mb download, and I'm sitting at under 2mb right now.
    "Anyone who thinks controlling people is a science is dead wrong: It's an art."
    Jim Profit - the greatest tv villain you've (probably) never seen.

I troubleshoot internet issues for my job right now. A few things you can try before calling your ISP to narrow it down are....

1. Powercycle the equipment (Turn everything off, wait a bit, and turn it all back on)

2. Run IPconfig like a user above stated and check that you have a valid IP address. (if the Default Gateway shows 0.0.0.0.0 or something along those lines it isn't good). Although this is usually only seen with no connectivity.

3. Run continuous ping tests. To do this you just open the command prompt, type "ping google.com -t" or any website, let it run for a bit and then stop it by pressing CTRL+C. It will give you "ping statistics" at the bottom where it tells you how many packets were sent received and lost. Make sure to record what percent of packet loss you are getting if any.

4. If you are getting packet loss, you can run a traceroute. To do this, in the command prompt you would type "tracert google.com" or any other site and then just let it run. Once complete, look to see if any of the lines have "timeouts". If they do you will want to see where the drop off is happening. If it is just IP addresses, you can do a "whois" lookup on the internet to see what company is behind the IP. If it drops in your network, the issue is on your ISP's end. If it doesn't go anywhere, it may be an issue with the router or firewall settings.

5. Run speedtests. These can be done at speedtest.net You can run 2 or 3 of them to get a good average and then stack that up against what you are supposed to be getting. Keep in mind that most ISPs only guarantee a certain percentage of what you are provisioned to get depending on area of demand and things like that.

All in all, any issue that is on your ISP's end can only be resolved by calling your ISP.
    Case: Cooler Master HAF X - Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - PSU: Cooler Master 1000W 80+ Gold - CPU: Intel i7 4930K - GPU: EVGA GTX690 - RAM - G Skill Ripjaw 16gb (4x4) @2133 Cooling - Corsair Hydro H100i - HDD: Western Digital CB 500gb and 1TB - SSD: Intel 128gb