Poll: Shouting at your raidmembers, should the raid tolerate this or not?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    It is acceptable if the raid as a whole (majority) find it acceptable. I only yelled at my old team once, and it wasn't directed at anyone in particular it was after repeating the same thing 3 times and a wipe imminent I raised my voice saying switch the effing target. Also one of the only times they ever heard my curse, which had more weight is debatable.
    If Johnny Awesome is wiping the raid and ruining everyone else time set aside for raiding, then it is really up to the other 8 if they are okay with it.

He should have just removed you from the group, and found someone in trade. Unless he was unjustly yelling at you. I'm surprised people take normal mode raiding seriously.

Deleted
    In what sense of shouting?

I have no problem with my raid leader shouting, I think it helps us since constant fails influence the other 24 players. It also helps because everyone in my guild is very sociable so we tend to chat and laugh a lot more than we should, so a few shouts telling us to focus do the trick.

At the end of the day it depends on the level of raiding you are pursuing and the person that is leading the raid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recognize that being a Raid Leader in a Guild is the ultimate position that determines that Guilds notoriety in the game. That said, Being a Raid Leader is a thankless and lonely job. They (should) see everything going on and be able to address deficiencies as they arise.
    Some players are unable to focus or take the game seriously or recognize their shortcomings without being pointed out. That is just how things work. You are here to have fun? So is everyone else. What they are NOT there for is to have a single player wasting their time by not putting effort into the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course it's unacceptable. Either bring it up to your RL/raid/guild or /gquit if you don't have that kind of relationship/closeness with them. It's not even a raid thing, I don't put up with rudeness period. My boss tends to get snippy and I've brought it to her attention each time. Not havin' it. You need to have that attitude if it bothers you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have good leadership skills, you can try to rally other people so that they together make the ultimatum: either the raid leader shuts the fuck up, or he leaves the guild. One of the reason such jerks keep successfully doing what they do is passivity of victims who either swallow it all, or start counter-attacking, which doesn't help either. Stand up for yourself and other guildies and let that guy know that he is not welcome in your club, unless he changes his behavior.

If he does not listen to reason, then, I guess, it depends on how much you agree to suffer for the privilege of being in this guild. If you love guild very much and one asshole doesn't throw you off, then you just can mute him, or ignore him, or whatever. If, however, his behavior annoys you too much and you cannot make him calm down, you might consider avoiding raiding with him.

Anyway, to your question the answer depends on you, and on you only. If you think it is acceptable, it is. If you think it is not acceptable, then you won't accept it. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Im not sure how old u are but i would say that being able to take shit is part of growing up
    As an adult I don't think you should have to take being shouted at like a naughty kid over a computer game.. The guy doing the shouting needs to learn to control himself and grow up.

Irritation or annoyance is 1 thing.. Shouting at someone is something else.

It achieves nothing but pissing off everyone else and that includes those that aren't being directly shouted at... When people are pissed off they tend not to play as well so it's not helping anyone. If the GM is finding himself unable to control himself he's probably in the wrong guild and should find people who don't cause him to feel the need to shout at people.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2014-04-10 at 01:26 PM.

It totally depends on the situation;

Situation One: "Move ... MOVE! Come on guys - Focus up, move from Blue to Green and get that Spirit Link Totem up, NOW! Go go go!
    - Perfectly fine, it's a high pressure situation, shouting will generally keep people silent allowing you to get your command across properly.

Situation Two: "You dumb fucking assholes, why even bother playing the fucking game, just leave my fucking raid right now!"
    - Unacceptable, if you're getting that angry over a game, you're not suited to Raid Leading.

Deleted
    Quite a lot of people in this thread need to grow a pair.

Bare in mind. OP is most likely not telling the whole story. Especially if stuck on Normal Garrosh. Either means a significant leader issue, or a significant member issue.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Im not sure how old u are but i would say that being able to take shit control yourself is part of growing up
    I just couldn't resist after reading that bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by reebelraabel View Post
    Quite a lot of people in this thread need to grow a pair.
    There is no reason for someone to genuinely lose their mind and go mental over a game. I'd rather not play with someone like that. Getting upset or mad is one thing, but to blow your top and abuse people, that's just pathetic.

Even more so then people getting upset about it.

In my loooong experience with WoW since vanilla shouters has always, always been losers in one way or another. With or without them being raid leaders. I just avoid losers and I suggest you do so too. I mean if you go on the street and you see a pile of trash or feces - would just stand hanging around those? I doubt it. So why should you do so in game?!

Quote Originally Posted by Huoyue View Post
    Either means a significant leader issue, or a significant member issue.
    Either way then, the Raid Leader isn't suited to that guild then. He should leave and find somewhere more suited to his skill set.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shouting at people is a bad solution and a sign of a terrible leader. It's that simple.

I realise that a lot of people might feel the urge under duress to lash out verbally at others, and often, in that situation, will feel justified in doing so. But that is irrelevant. It doesn't matter whether the tongue lashing was justified, there are always other, better ways of dealing with such a situation. A raid leader who shouts at his raiders has lost control of his emotions and is allowing those emotions to override his sensibilities and has basically failed as a leader in that situation.

That being said, this kind of breakdown can happen with any leader and just because it happened once doesn't necessarily make that person a bad leader. How the leader responds afterwards defines the quality of the leader. A good raid leader will calm down, apologise for his outburst and move on. A bad leader will try to justify his outburst and lay the blame on others. And if such outbursts are a regular occurrence, then you clearly have a bad raid leader.

At one time I lead a progression guild and we were doing spine in DS and our one healer kept getting rolled off. I liked the guy but it kept happening repeatedly so eventually I was just like "dude COME ON ARE YOU RETARDED?". As it turns out, guys a real life genius. His job is some kind of astrophysicist. Man I felt dumb and deserved to. As it turns out your WoW performance has no reflection on your intelligence in real life. Some people just don't care that much.

Feelings whoa whoa whoa feelings.. No time for that in WAR son! But really, some people like that, some do not.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's acceptable to anyone who wants it to be.

Nobody forces you to raid with a certain group, or even raid at all. If you don't like the attitude of those who play a game with you, it's pretty freaking simple: stop playing with them.

If you don't care how the raid leader acts, that's fine too. I don't think there's one answer to this question for everyone. We all have different thresholds.

Deleted
    Acceptable? Yeah, at least if it's warranted.
    That said, I'd probably mute him if I'd find it too annyoing.