Deleted

hdd/ssd question!

hello guys

so i have an 120gb ss and 1tb hdd , and i had to do a full reinstall with format so just something i wanted to know :

how do i make my files like download /music etc and default download path my hdd?
    should i install blizz launcher on ssd or hdd? and can i still decide which game goes where? (also which game should be where ? i got all of blizz online games)
    should i install steam on ssd or hdd? and game like LoL etc
    should i install browser on ssd or hdd? (if there is a choice)

also a stupid question but people say they keep their os and programs , what they mean by programs ?

10+ Year Old Account
    1) What files/music? Whatever program you're using, you can set it to direct to the HDD
    2) All programs, OS, Games, Steam, Browser, etc, should go on the SSD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Change the default save path in your browser's settings so it will save them elsewhere.

The rest, i'm not so sure on how/if they benefit and how to maximize the benefit of a SSD with certain programs, so better to wait for someone smarter to pop in.

edti: ninja'd by Chazus :\
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    basically you want to install OS + software (applications/games) on your SSD and use the HDD for storage (image/video/music) because SSD makes a huge difference in loading times but an HDD have more than enough bandwidth for storage. You can watch a high-resolution video from your HDD without loading problems, but an SSD will load a game much, much, much faster (not enough muches, SSD are awesome)

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: the people above beat me to it.
    Grandmaster Tidestout
    <Stand Tall>US-Stormrage

Deleted
    thanks a bunch for replies but was looking on net earlier and some people say games on ssd kill their life span (unless i misunderstood) and also some suggestion about changing something in SSD like achi or something...

and all my games in steam also in SSD ? will there be enough space for them in it? atm i dont have many but eventually it will get there ,

oh also about Curse client? that too in ssd?

Steam supports installing to different locations, but you need to set those up in advance.
    Steam, Settings, Downloads, Steam Library Folders.

If you set one on the HDD, and one on the SSD then upon installing a Steam game you should be prompted as to which location you want to install to.

Most applications when you install should offer you the choice as to where they are installed, unless they have specific requirements.

There isn't the need for the Curse Client to be on an SSD, since the time it actively reads or writes to the SSD should be pretty minimal.
    I would take it off automatic startup, and only run it manually.

Really excessive writing to an SSD could potentially impact the lifespan, and that isn't something that is likely to happen unless you try intentionally.
    Modern SSD's suffer less from that issue, though they do have a more limited number of writes than a traditional HDD, but you are not likely to reach that through normal use within a reasonable lifetime of the drive.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2014-04-11 at 12:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    some people say games on ssd kill their life span
    For all practical purposes, this is false. While it IS possible to kill an SSD with writes, pretty much the only way to do that is to... intentionally try to kill an SSD with writes. If you don't know how to do that, you can't do it, effectively. It's a non-issue. Don't worry about it.

some suggestion about changing something in SSD like achi
    AHCI, it's a setting in BIOS regarding how your drive works. Most boards already have it as default. You can check it. If it's in IDE/SATA mode you can change it to AHCI. Before doing this, come back here and let us know if you need to change it, and I can find instructions. It's super easy. IDE/SATA mode is slower than AHCI. It's not bad, just slower.

and all my games in steam also in SSD ? will there be enough space for them in it? atm i dont have many but eventually it will get there ,
    It's usually good practice to buy an SSD that fits what you have. All programs ought to go on the SSD, regardless of if they benefit or not. You CAN put some stuff on the HDD, but it's a huge hassle for the tiny amount of space you'd save. The big data users are games. So either slim down on games installed, or get a bigger drive (imo)

oh also about Curse client? that too in ssd?
    Yes? I mean... I hate not having all programs on one drive, in the correct spot, instead of all over. But that's just me. Curse client, and all that other stuff is so small, there's no point in putting it on the HDD.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    thanks , checked sata settings and its AHCI already , tho not sure if i changed something by mistake

also my ssd is 120gb so should be enough for rest of stuff with os ,

about changing files location , i was asking about the 'downloads' file location from properties , same with music / videos etc , just wondering which one i shouldnt change to hdd? like documents ? downloads?

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't see the point of changing anything, truthfully.

Documents are too small to matter, and downloads you'll likely just delete/clear regardless. The only thing I personally would move to the HDD is movies and music. And backup purposes, of course.

Deleted
    ok thanks ,

about bios setting my mouse is buggy atm and does double click sometimes so not sure if i changed something , anyways i can verify if i screw up something? or to do something incase?