Page 1 of 2
LastLast

ice floes vs blazing speed for pve

pros and cons? im currently frost and ice floes seems really cool to use all the time. i have tried it and honestly, i love both for either situation

what do yall think?

10+ Year Old Account
    From the various discussions throughout MoP, the difference between the two is that you can squeeze out a little more dps when you become experienced and proficient with Ice Floes. I, for one, still use Blazing Speed because I don't want to use our heroic raid to practice Ice Floes, and cba to do LFR or Flex just to train. But I want to.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Once you get to about 14242 haste or higher Blazing Speed is going to be better a large majority of the time since between holding FoF procs, high income of BF procs and more globals spent snapshotting LB you're actually not casting a whole lot and can fill all of your movement with instant casts. So BS can be used to get that little bit further during the gcd.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    We are beating this horse again?!? Isn't he dead enough?!? Well seems they dont want to redirect you to the latest IF VS BS thread, that was flying around, and lock it then ill just get the popcorns out of the microwave and will start watching this amazing discusion all over again

Disclaimer: Ok this is me trolling for first time, so it might not be flawless

Neither, pick pressence of mind while youre still able to pok sheep things.

On a serious note; I find blazing speed more enjoyable and just better overallfor most fights. You already Have double blinks (i hope), which basically silves movement problems for most fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Againnn View Post
    pros and cons? im currently frost and ice floes seems really cool to use all the time. i have tried it and honestly, i love both for either situation

what do yall think?
    blazing speed, no contest.

Better question - Do you want to waste a global moving, or not waste a global moving? Ice Floes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Better question - Do you want to waste a global moving, or not waste a global moving? Ice Floes.
    How do you waste a global moving with Blazing Speed?
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    How do you waste a global moving with Blazing Speed?
    Because when you are moving, you are not casting. So unless you've gotten very lucky and immediately hit something before having to move, BS, and then moved the appropriate distance in the space of that one global, you've wasted what could have been time casting. If you have procs up (FoF/BF), or you have appropriate conditions to snapshot then BS is going to get you that short distance faster. But frost spends a lot of time casting frostbolt, so you're going to have to move eventually without a proc. Might as well be casting frostbolt while you do.

Once you get to about 14242 haste or higher Blazing Speed is going to be better a large majority of the time since between holding FoF procs, high income of BF procs and more globals spent snapshotting LB you're actually not casting a whole lot and can fill all of your movement with instant casts. So BS can be used to get that little bit further during the gcd.

just incase u misssed xx

I didn't miss it.

You don't always have procs up, haste doesn't increase BF generation on single target fights, and you don't always have an advantageous snapshotting opportunity when you need to move. Blazing speed is good when you get lucky and the procs align with movement. Ice floes doesn't require such luck.

I didn't miss it.
    Clearly you just love to undermine me

You don't always have procs up
    You should always have one FoF proc

haste doesn't increase BF generation on single target fights
    Wow. No words.

you don't always have an advantageous snapshotting opportunity when you need to move
    Not always but when you factor in everything together it adds up to a high chance of having a instant gcd to use on the move

I didn't miss it.

You don't always have procs up, haste doesn't increase BF generation on single target fights, and you don't always have an advantageous snapshotting opportunity when you need to move. Blazing speed is good when you get lucky and the procs align. Ice floes doesn't require such luck.
    Always is a fun word to use isn't it?

Anyways, Blazing does more than just avoid wasting a GCD, for that fact alone it is better than Ice Floes most of the time. Quite frankly though, I find there being no real need for either in most cases. Most mechanics are designed on moving away from really bad stuff within 1 gcd. In those cases yes Ice Floes can be marginally better, because you might(and this happens quite rarely to be an issue) not want to use an instant.

In the end for ME the deciding factor is movement per GCD. And Blazing is a lot better for that, so if I need to nope out from somewhere, it generally gets the job done rather than wasting a GCD with blink. But at the same time I get why someone would like Ice Floes as in "theory" it will result in higher dps. Am just a real fan of picking a talent and sticking with it unless the gains are noticable when switching to the other.

Clearly you just love to undermine me
    -snip-
    You are correct. I just love to undermine you. (or I just have a different opinion).

Assuming frost armor/5% raid buffed.

The haste breakpoints of LB are significantly separated. Going from the 9.5k (the +2) to 14k doesn't put you past any, meaning you are not increasing the number of BF proc chances per LB. For all intents and purposes, unless you are significantly above the ~14k soft cap (18.9k), haste does not increase BF generation for single target fights.

You don't have an FoF charge if you just BF -> FoF'd your last charge.

The DPS gain is probably marginal and covered up by any other RNG that is influencing you though. I just don't ever find myself wishing I had blazing speed. More often I appreciate that I have IF up when I need to move and procs run out / don't have procs.
    Last edited by Frost1129; 2014-04-11 at 08:08 PM.

As frost, most of the time I run with Blazing speed for the simple fact that it doubles as a survivability cooldown, if you're smart you'll bank an FoF charge for when you need to hit it, if not then just use a fireblast/refresh bomb, or whatever to cover the dead global you'd have otherwise.

The dps gain between Iceflows and simply getting to where you need to be quicker through blazing speed really just overall depends on may different variables of the encounter, your guilds strat, positioning, procs available at the time, etc etc etc...

blazing speed is off the gcd....

also there is not a single mechanic in this raid that wont let you finish your frostbolt cast before moving

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMine View Post
    blazing speed is off the gcd....

also there is not a single mechanic in this raid that wont let you finish your frostbolt cast before moving
    Do I really need to explain that you cannot normally cast Frostbolt/Arcane Blast/Arcane Missile/RoP while moving? And that this is where the potentially wasted GCD comes from? Just go read the above posts between durrty and I. During our discussion we clearly lay out the pros/cons of both.
    Last edited by Frost1129; 2014-04-11 at 09:27 PM.

Deleted
    Mmm good popcorns. Gonna get moar. The thread is entering the intresting phase. Haha

ffs can we close this shitstorm yet?

Infracted for language.
    Last edited by mrgreenthump; 2014-04-12 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastamage View Post
    ffs can we close this shitstorm yet?
    Please don't discuss mod actions here, send problems or feedback to a global mod thx