10+ Year Old Account

MMO-C should have a better rules for topicstarters

MMO-C should have a new rule for topicstarters.

Here on MMO-Champion are many topics which have topicstart (or firstposts or how you are calling them) which only has one or two sentences. People just dump their question without doing any more effort for their thread. This looks to much like spamming to get their postcount up. Most times they threads aren't even fun to read, cause one troll feeds the other trolls etc... It's annoying if you ask me.

Good threads are made when you do the following things:

1: Try to solve your problem or question by yourself first.
    Before posting a new thread you should try to solve your problem or question first by yourself. If you cannot find an solution or answer for your problem, write down in the new topicstart what you've tried to do to solve it, where you've looked for an answer, etc...
    Don't forget to use the search function before creating a new thread (that's already a rule)

2: Give attention to your topic.
    If you like to start a discussion then you should give your topic attention with some arguments and your findings. Dumping one-liners don't do that.

3: At last: Give your topic a proper title. (that's already a rule too)
    A clear title makes your topic findable. A clear title means also that you actually know what's the subject of your topic before you enter the thread. Keep the title positive by NOT using CAPITALS, multiple exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!! or a single word like Help!

--
    I'm very sure that having sharper rules like this makes threads more fun or entertaining to read. You actually contribute in a good way. Same goes for moderators. As long you are following the forum rules, they are not nessecary, but if they are needed they need to act more consistent with a stricter approach to users, and even to other moderators, if they break rules.

A better MMO-C starts with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    *SNIP*
    The things you mention work for some types of threads. There are threads that are made to talk about opinions etc. that can not follow your set of rules.

Also, it could be just me, but this looks a lot like "The pot calling the kettle black" case.
    Last edited by Itakas; 2014-04-24 at 09:38 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with the title part, but a lot of really good discussions here come from threads that starts with a link and a random one-liner. As long as rules are upheld, forums are self-regulatory. If people are interested in the topic at hand the thread grows, if not, it dies.

It could be a lot better of course, but I don't think making threads harder to start (because they'd be deleted/locked for breaching this rule-set) would benefit these forums in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    MMO-C should have a new rule for topicstarters.

Here on MMO-Champion are many topics which have topicstart (or firstposts or how you are calling them) which only has one or two sentences. People just dump their question without doing any more effort for their thread. This looks to much like spamming to get their postcount up. Most times they threads aren't even fun to read, cause one troll feeds the other trolls etc... It's annoying if you ask me.

Good threads are made when you do the following things:

1: Try to solve your problem or question by yourself first.
    Before posting a new thread you should try to solve your problem or question first by yourself. If you cannot find an solution or answer for your problem, write down in the new topicstart what you've tried to do to solve it, where you've looked for an answer, etc...
    Don't forget to use the search function before creating a new thread (that's already a rule)

2: Give attention to your topic.
    If you like to start a discussion then you should give your topic attention with some arguments and your findings. Dumping one-liners don't do that.

3: At last: Give your topic a proper title. (that's already a rule too)
    A clear title makes your topic findable. A clear title means also that you actually know what's the subject of your topic before you enter the thread. Keep the title positive by NOT using CAPITALS, multiple exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!! or a single word like Help!

--
    I'm very sure that having sharper rules like this makes threads more fun or entertaining to read. You actually contribute in a good way. Same goes for moderators. As long you are following the forum rules, they are not nessecary, but if they are needed they need to act more consistent with a stricter approach to users, and even to other moderators, if they break rules.

A better MMO-C starts with yourself.
    How I would wish for people to build up a better discussion, I don't mind if you have a topic you would like to share/discuss, but yeah.... You don't start much discussion by going, "As the title says" or, "Bla. bla. bla. Discuss"

People need to flesh out their main post, give some discussion value.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I just wish there was a proper ignore function on the forum that would remove an ignored poster's threads aswell as their posts, not going to name any names but lately there has been a particular poster, posting one inane thread after the next. And they keep clogging recent threads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    How I would wish for people to build up a better discussion, I don't mind if you have a topic you would like to share/discuss, but yeah.... You don't start much discussion by going, "As the title says" or, "Bla. bla. bla. Discuss"

People need to flesh out their main post, give some discussion value.
    Exactly. A bit of background information on what you like to discuss gives much healthier discussions. Dropping a one-liner or "As the title says"-like lines gives a negative taste right from the start of the thread. It doesn't fuel a healthy discussion. Proper background information, like a quote of something or a video together with your view on the subject helps a lot to get a good discussion.

I want a rule where people have to quote articles or videos that they post. I don't want to assume the responsibility of clicking a link or having to watch a video to even know what the thread topic/main argument is about.

10+ Year Old Account
    We have a few posters, that open thread after thread, where you really go like /facepalm...
    The threads are more than often teenager magazine topics/quality...

What I notice times and again is..
    Thread titles that are of some sort of bias, or misleading to lure people into it...
    Next thing is people posting relatively complicated background stories in the OP, and don't bother their country of origin. Makes it often very difficult to answer, since laws and regulations vary often greatly by country.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."