Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost1129 View Post
    Go listen to the FinalBoss interview of Celestalon. They talk a lot about them during. Essentially, they want to remove the feeling that certain professions are necessary for PvE, so none of them will be adding personal benefits anymore. They want them to be more of an RP thing - you want to be an enchanter because you like enchanting. You want to be a tailor because you think the idea of your character making bags and clothing fits thematically with your idea of your character.
    I disagree with this. Just balance the abilities to give similar benefits in pve and you're set.

They tried and look what happened. Engi/BS everywhere.

Tailoring/Engineering look balanced on paper. Their PvE DPS contributions probably math out to be equal on theoretical level. What happened was an unpredictable trinket/CD/proc stacking meta developed which focuses on massive burst periods and comparatively low sustain periods. So now the Engi bonus, which can be controlled and always put inside this burst window, is much better than a random proc which may not occur when you want it. It's very hard to predict these type of things, so I guess they decided better to just remove them entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheous View Post
    I disagree with this. Just balance the abilities to give similar benefits in pve and you're set.
    The only way to really balance everythign so we know certain is to have the same buff from each profession and that equals to: if everything gives x int/agi/str, it's as good as the bonuses not existing to begin with.

I've played with Leatherworking and Skinning since beta, I am not gonna change that anytime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    The only way to really balance everythign so we know certain is to have the same buff from each profession and that equals to: if everything gives x int/agi/str, it's as good as the bonuses not existing to begin with.
    That would seem to be too difficult to do since professions like Engineering or Tailoring that have a proc/on use effect that gives you your +primary stat. I suppose they could 'fix' this by making EVERY profession give a static amount of +primary stat (also taking into account the advantage that BS and JC has over say enchanting, i can not put +mastery on my rings but BS and Jewelcrafters can get a bonus amount of a secondary stat).

So yeah, i suppose they could leave profession bonuses in the game but only if every profession was allowed to do the very same thing, which would be to add +X of whatever statistic to certain items. For example, a Blacksmith can enchant their bracers and gloves with +X amount of a primary OR secondary stat, while an enchanter can do the very same thing to their rings. Either way it doesnt really matter, if things were all equal then it would be the same as getting no bonus from your chosen profession since everyone would either have bonus stat professions or they wouldn't (like Blizz plans to do in WoD).

Moreorless what they're doing with professions is exactly what I'd like done with racials (but it's off the table)