Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Anyway to combat loneliness?

I feel extremely lonely today. Just turned 21 16 hours ago and even some of my close friends I have known for years don't wish me happy birthday. I just feel forgotten. Any way to remedy this besides buying a bunch of hookers tonight?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think an MMO forum is the best place to go for such advice.
    It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Deleted
    Get friends?

Don't want to seem mean... But go out more. If you don't socialize, of course you'll fade out.

Quick fix: Bunch of hookers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pets..lots and lots of pets..

buy a cat. buy a dog.

EDIT: Damn you frozen, beat me to it.
    “What was God doing before the divine creation? Was he preparing
    hell for people who asked such questions?” - Stephen Hawking

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscripts View Post
    I feel extremely lonely today. Just turned 21 16 hours ago and even some of my close friends I have known for years don't wish me happy birthday. I just feel forgotten. Any way to remedy this besides buying a bunch of hookers tonight?
    by all means do not buy hookers....hit up a club and get a one nightstand, OR go chill out with your family for the day OR buy a hooker and just have her to cuddle only but no sex....nevermind that last part about cuddling the hooker just no hookers....

There's an easy answer and there's a harder answer.

Easy answer - A good dose of some sort of decent amphetamine or a nice opiate buzz combined with a trip to your local brothel.

Harder answer - Find new friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Hunger is your body's way of telling you that you need food.
    Loneliness is your mind's way of telling you that you need social interaction.

To cure hunger, you obtain food.
    To cure loneliness, you obtain _____ _____.
    How much do they cost? Is there a great place one can shop for them at wholesale? :P

OP become the hero you've always wanted to be.

What drove you into solitude in the first place?

For example for me it was borderline disorder and I can identify very well with the feeling you describe, the feeling of abondonment. Are you scared of getting back in contact with your friends? If yes.. well I can only talk through personal experience, but I would from the heart reccomend talking to a therapist (there's sadly still some social stigma left on this word.. but these people really can work miracles for your quality of life if you trust them and let them).

Only after you find out why you started avoiding people to begin with, can you find out how to get back on track, and stay there. If you got the courage, then try get back in contact with your closest friends, it can be scary but you will be happy you tried.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

I spent my 21st alone too, OP. It sucks but in the long run it doesn't really matter. If no one had called or wished you a happy bday yet, those people are not your friends. Go get yourself a good meal, go see a movie or something you like doing(I go ride go karts when I'm alone and lonely), hell lots of hookers is not a bad plan if you can afford it.

As for making friends, best thing I can advise is to small talk people at school work. I've made a few friends just starting small chat while smoking outside at work or people in the break room. A simple "hey how are you?" Or come up with a witty sarcastic but still PG humor response will start good conversation.

Deleted
    Go out and get laid, best way to combat loneliness.

IDK, the hookers idea sounds pretty good. You could also become arrogant to the point that the only persons company that you appreciate and enjoy is your own like me.

Connect with God and you'll never be alone again.

Having faith is a truly wonderful thing and I really recommend it OP. The grass is greener on the religious side of things and as research will show you happier too.

Happy birthday! I suppose you can scrap the 'happy'-part, but still congratulations

I know what you mean, I've experienced the same in the past. Sometimes you realize at one point that the few close friends you have which you've known for years, actually aren't that great friends at all. Don't worry about it though, life has it's ups and downs (for some more or less than others). Just because you feel/are lonely today, doesn't mean you're lonely tomorrow as well. Things can change rapidly through unexpected ways, and before you know you might at one point even wish that you had less friends because too many people are after you

My advice, having personally experienced it: Don't even try to get back in touch with your close friends if all the input has to come from your side. Meet new people through the course of life instead. It's not like you have to go after them yourself, because half of the time they come at you instead. So it's a bit from both sides.

I hope that made at least a bit of sense

Maybe you're forgotten today, but not tomorrow

10+ Year Old Account
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATE!!! 21, such a great age.

Don't let it get to you today. Maybe your friends forgot, maybe they have stressful items on the brain.
    I was seriously ill for about 2 weeks and even my own father didn't call to see how I was doing.
    I was sad about it but it turned out he was having a shit time at work and had just plum forgot.

Go out tonite, find a good singles club maybe? You could call your friends and be like "Yo, my birfday
    be today and you btiches owe me cupcakes" LOL. Just don't focus on that lonely feeling, it's not gonna
    go away but if you focus on something else it will hurt less for now.

If you're finding loneliness a constant thing, a dog is really a great way to combat it. They're super loyal,
    fun to cuddle AND dog parks are a great way to meet people. Only once have I met a jerk at a dog park.

Biggest thing though.... Dont. Let. It. Get. To. You.
    Find activities you like, do them as often as you can.
    This too will pass!

OP you have 7 hours to do something cool. You could head to a local bar and get a free drink from them, people love buying 21yr olds a birthday shot/drink.

As the poster above me said, many of your friends are getting off work or school now perhaps. I'd give it some more time before writing it off completely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Connect with God and you'll never be alone again.

Having faith is a truly wonderful thing and I really recommend it OP. The grass is greener on the religious side of things and as research will show you happier too.
    Yeah, it is so easy to suddenly start believing in an omnipotent being, it makes me wonder why there are so many atheists.

How is your relationship with your family? I spent my 22nd birthday with my family because my girlfriend whom i was supposed to spend it with had to leave because her father was put in the hospital and she wished to be there for him, and while I was a little sad I didn't get to spend it with her I can't say I didn't enjoy their company.

If all else fails try and see if you can get laid or at the very least go out and see if you can meet someone to talk to, hell even strangers at a bar or a club will work in that regard.

Seeking company is the only thing i can think of that can combat loneliness unless you get to the point where you prefer being by yourself.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2014-04-11 at 09:01 PM.