Page 58 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    Where are all the people that were supporting Mr. McBiggot Cow Welfare Queen in this thread? They seem to have disappeared.
    His support dried up after he decided to publicly endorse slavery.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/us...west.html?_r=0
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    That was my point. I was more calling people cowards instead of really asking what happened to them.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    I don't feel he endorsed slavery. He compared welfare to being a slave to the government, and said when they were slaves to people they had better family values.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    I don't feel he endorsed slavery. He compared welfare to being a slave to the government, and said when they were slaves to people they had better family values.
    Well, then.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    That was my point. I was more calling people cowards instead of really asking what happened to them.
    I don't think I'd call someone a coward for dropping support for a person who turns out not to be who you thought.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    How is that not endorsing slavery? He actually said, "I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom."

Freedom is Slavery... where have I heard that before?
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you somehow miss the part where he said, "And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton..."
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't know how you managed to miss that the entire point of his statement was to imply black people are better off as slaves than they are today. It would be genuinely impressive if it weren't so frightening.
    Its ok. He will dig in and say nuh uh instead of actually taking facts to what the situation is. I mean I am still waiting for where Cliven Bundy owns any of the land that he got kicked off of for not paying the grazing fees. When in fact I found an article from the same local channel in the Bunkerville area that said his family's earliest ancestor was from 1901 and they didn't actually start grazing cattle in that area until 1954, 8 years after the BLM was actually formed.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Did you somehow miss the part where he said, "And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton..."
    You know its funny, but I believe I saw a video of a black pastor saying something similar to that before. Something along the lines of they went from being slaves to plantation owners to being slaves of the politicians, but at least when they worked on the plantations there was no pretense of it being done for them.

"I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves"

I don't think better is a big word that is hard to understand... but did you miss that? He was saying slavery was better. Additionally his point about family life was atrocious. These people were bred and sold like animals. I'm not going to guess how many had family lives, but that was certainly not a "pro" of slavery. Why are you dead set on defending this disgusting man?

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    These people were bred and sold like animals.
    I don't think he was referring to this part of being a slave just the family values they had when they were slaves as opposed to the family values they have now being slaves to welfare.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giscoicus View Post
    You know its funny, but I believe I saw a video of a black pastor saying something similar to that before. Something along the lines of they went from being slaves to plantation owners to being slaves of the politicians, but at least when they worked on the plantations there was no pretense of it being done for them.
    Black people speculating about slavery is entirely different than when white people speculate about slavery. For blacks, it's introspection, for whites, it's using them as a podium to spout regressive propaganda. Seriously, not understanding these kinds of differences are precisely why Republicans look like morons when they get on TV. It's NOT okay for white folks to talk about slavery in any kind of positive manner, especially when it's to suggest that black slaves had "better family values". It's just fucking disgusting.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

"and so what I've testified to you -- I was in the Watts riot, I seen the beginning fire and I seen that last fire. What I seen is civil disturbance. People are not happy, people are thinking they don't have their freedoms, they didn't have these things, and they didn't have them.

We've progressed quite a bit from that day until now, and we sure don't want to go back. We sure don't want the colored people to go back to that point. We sure don't want these Mexican people to go back to that point. And we can make a difference right now by taking care of some of these bureaucracies, and do it in a peaceful way.

Let me tell, talk to you about the Mexicans, and these are just things I know about the negroes. I want to tell you one more thing I know about the negro. When I go, went, go to Las Vegas, North Las Vegas, and I would see these little government houses, and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids -- and there's always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch. They didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

And because they were basically on government subsidy -- so now what do they do? They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never, they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered are they were better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things? Or are they better off under government subsidy?

You know they didn’t get more freedom, they got less freedom -- they got less family life, and their happiness -- you could see it in their faces -- they wasn't happy sitting on that concrete sidewalk. Down there they was probably growing their turnips -- so that’s all government, that’s not freedom.

Now, let me talk about the Spanish people. You know, I understand that they come over here against our Constitution and cross our borders. But they’re here and they’re people -- and I’ve worked side by side a lot of them.

Don’t tell me they don’t work, and don’t tell me they don’t pay taxes. And don’t tell me they don’t have better family structures than most of us white people. When you see those Mexican families, they’re together, they picnic together, they’re spending their time together, and I’ll tell you in my way of thinking they’re awful nice people. And we need to have those people join us and be with us not, not come to our party."

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how it's hard to see that Bundy is a hypocritical, bigoted, racist, welfare queen who's mooching taxpayer dollars for his own profit.

Unless of course your political ideology happens to align with his, then I can see how his blatant hypocrisy, bigotry, racism, and welfare mooching might be hard to notice.

"Bundy hates the government? Hey, I hate the government too! I'm suddenly having a hard time seeing what a horrible person he is, and am having an easy time relating to his point of view."
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Unless of course your political ideology happens to align with his, then I can see how his blatant hypocrisy, bigotry, racism, and welfare mooching might be hard to notice.
    It's a double edged sword. If you don't agree with him you look for any reason to make him racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a double edged sword. If you don't agree with him you look for any reason to make him racist.
    Saying "blacks were better people as slaves" is a pretty good rationale to call someone racist.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Saying "blacks were better people as slaves" is a pretty good rationale to call someone racist.
    Better family values, do you disagree?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    i thought it was because he was white, and whites cant talk about slavery w/o being racist....

OR it could be a reflection of his past. What he said was crass and im sure it really offended you, but did it offend you to the point where you cant even discuss what he said, ALL of it, because racism? Seems like putting your head in the sand to me.

Fuck, I can't even...

lockedout, dude, go find a mirror and stare at it until you feel like punching your reflection. Thanks.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't have good family values when you don't have the ability to freely choose what your family values are.

Just, be kind.