Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rare mount traders?

From the Garrison Building Specializations:

"GarrSpecialization #3 - Mount Trader - A rare mount trader has taken up shop at your garrison stables building."

What do you think this means? Will it serve as a personal BMAH with rare mounts randomly appearing on his list for very high prices, or will he offer a randomized selection of new WoD mounts? If it's the former, will we be able to phase in to a friend's Garrison and buy a different mount from this NPC?

Or perhaps he will allow us to trade in rare mounts for a special currency that we can use to buy different ones? So, if we get a second Ashes of A'lar, we can exchange it for a Fiery Warhorse, which will incentivise people to keep farming a boss even after obtaining his particular mount?

Good idea, however I think Blizzard will never get that creative. They are rigid and probably only sell several new mounts.

Deleted
    That's a very good idea indeed. I think that if that were to be implimented into the game, a lot more old content would be cleared more often, which would be a very positive thing, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Or perhaps he will allow us to trade in rare mounts for a special currency that we can use to buy different ones? So, if we get a second Ashes of A'lar, we can exchange it for a Fiery Warhorse, which will incentivise people to keep farming a boss even after obtaining his particular mount?
    thats a dumb idea. nobody farms old stuff after they get what they want.

its probably just a guy who sells mounts.

or maybe he sells every faction mount in warlords that youve unlocked by rep.

say you are exalted with all the warlords factions, now instead of going to each vendor you just go to him
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    I really hope it's just a guy selling new rare mounts, and has nothing to do with mount drops from previous content.

The whole thrill with obtaining rare drop mounts is the chase, and then the payoff when it finally does drop. Being able to buy them for gold is such a lazy "gold sink" idea, and really cheapens the entire experience.

If it is a trade-in thing, then I'd hope you have to trade in like 10 mounts to receive the one you want, otherwise we'd have players exchanging the Swift White Hawkstrider for Invincible which is just disgusting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I really hope it's just a guy selling new rare mounts, and has nothing to do with mount drops from previous content.

The whole thrill with obtaining rare drop mounts is the chase, and then the payoff when it finally does drop. Being able to buy them for gold is such a lazy "gold sink" idea, and really cheapens the entire experience.

If it is a trade-in thing, then I'd hope you have to trade in like 10 mounts to receive the one you want, otherwise we'd have players exchanging the Swift White Hawkstrider for Invincible which is just disgusting.
    Winter ended a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    thats a dumb idea. nobody farms old stuff after they get what they want.
    At the moment they don't becaues there is no reason to... But if there was an incentive to do so such as what the OP suggested then they would. That was his whole point. Incetivise people to use that content.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ACES View Post
    Winter ended a few weeks ago.
    Which is relevant how?

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is relevant how?
    Because I would have thought all of the special snowflakes had melted by now.

I would imagine that the "mount trader" sells garrison-only mounts dependent on one's profession.

Deleted
    Did I say I wanted the mounts removed? No. I simply stated that they shouldn't make them easy to obtain from a vendor. May be a surprise but some players want WoW to remain a challenge and require a bit of effort to obtain the nice things...

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    At the moment they don't becaues there is no reason to... But if there was an incentive to do so such as what the OP suggested then they would. That was his whole point. Incetivise people to use that content.
    we dont need more incentives beyond transmog and timewalker dungeons.

i spent months, in some cases years in those places. i dont want another reason to go back for a less than 1% chance at getting something i already have
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Trader is probably another word for merchant in this case. He'll probably sell WoD mounts, not actually trade one of yours

Just because you don't agree with him doesn't mean you should have to retort to labeling as an argument (Because it's not one anyway).

I also disagree on the mount trade in unless it's a higher amount of mounts needed for another, because there are some raids that are just easier to run for the mount, like Karazhan for instance. You're in the instance for literally like a minute, yet compared to an Ashes of Al'ar run, which takes more time to just get to the boss, and that's not even including the fact that the boss is run on timers, you're gonna be waiting around for each phase to end. It just wouldn't make sense.

It's probably going to either be new mounts, old vendor mounts, or a BMAH like thing, where it could be explained as he goes around from Garrison to Garrison seeing who would be willing to pay the most for the rare mount of the day.

The mounts would probably has some form of parity depending on the expansion they are from or whether they're from a dungeon or a raid. You can trade White Hawkstrider for Raven Lord, Mimiron (maaaybe Onyxia) for Invincible, etc.

It's also possible that the trade-ins only work with WoD mounts, particularly the ones from rares and and world bosses. So you could exchange things like the Warbringer mounts, Huolon, Son of Galleon, etc. This would work particularly well since world boss and more recently mounts from rare spawns are individual loot, so you can't ninja them and you can't trade them to a friend if you get them twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulosio View Post
    Exactly.

10+ Year Old Account
    my first thought was a consolidated mount vendor, for mounts such as Challenge modes mounts, rep gained mounts, or other various vendor mounts. in that once you have earned the requirement to unlock the mount, you would have one vendor to go to for all the mounts to be bought. i guess they could add totally new mounts to this vendor as well. but ultimately its just an idea to add a bit of growth to the mount stables. adds some interaction, instead of just simply looking at mounts you already have.

edit: i think "trader" will be in name only, not in action. there wont actually be a trading option such as the OP suggests. good idea until you think about how many mounts are a one drop only concept. meaning once it drops for you, because it is unique you can never roll on it again (or loot it in some cases), and may never even see it drop again. i believe the title of trader in this case will be that the NPC trades mounts for some form of currency, and not mount for mount.

another reason i dont think this is gonna work is that some mounts have a considerably lower drop chance. allowing mounts to be traded means everyone will find the theoretical highest drop chance mount, farm that mount only, and trade it for every other mount. easy fix is to normalize drop rates as per all mounts.. but i dont think that will sit to well with people.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2014-04-12 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I also disagree on the mount trade in unless it's a higher amount of mounts needed for another, because there are some raids that are just easier to run for the mount, like Karazhan for instance. You're in the instance for literally like a minute, yet compared to an Ashes of Al'ar run, which takes more time to just get to the boss, and that's not even including the fact that the boss is run on timers, you're gonna be waiting around for each phase to end. It just wouldn't make sense.
    Well, the relative difficulty is a minor concern compared to basically adding extra saves to your weekly farm. I enjoy hunting individual mounts a lot, but sometimes you get 300+ kills on the same boss with no luck, and running that same one dungeon every day becomes frustrating. It's one of the main things that keeps people from collecting (and I want more people to collect, because that will mean more content geared towards us), and it also discourages many from going for that "one mount they really really want".

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndra View Post
    my first thought was a consolidated mount vendor, for mounts such as Challenge modes mounts, rep gained mounts, or other various vendor mounts. in that once you have earned the requirement to unlock the mount, you would have one vendor to go to for all the mounts to be bought. i guess they could add totally new mounts to this vendor as well. but ultimately its just an idea to add a bit of growth to the mount stables. adds some interaction, instead of just simply looking at mounts you already have.
    Realistically, it most likely will be WoD's version of Mei Francis, with a few unique average price mounts and a gold sink or two, which is still cool because it comes out of interaction with the Garrison rather than just being spawned somewhere. However, I'm trying to imagine something with more re-play value because it's a Specialization for that building, meaning you have to pick it in place of something else (from my understanding). Buying some unique mounts is pretty one-off, and a consolidated mount vendor would be useless.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2014-04-12 at 01:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Well, the relative difficulty is a minor concern compared to basically adding extra saves to your weekly farm. I enjoy hunting individual mounts a lot, but sometimes you get 300+ kills on the same boss with no luck, and running that same one dungeon every day becomes frustrating. It's one of the main things that keeps people from collecting (and I want more people to collect, because that will mean more content geared towards us), and it also discourages many from going for that "one mount they really really want".
    You could argue that it's the rarity of mounts that make people collect them in the first place. The thrill is in the chase.

You could argue that it's the rarity of mounts that make people collect them in the first place. The thrill is in the chase.
    The thrill is always in the chase, but that doesn't apply only to rare mounts. I collect them all. I also have deep sympathy for people who want certain mounts because of how they look rather than for showing how special they are.

Most probable.

1. It allows you to access the BMAH from your garrison. You still need to outbid the server.

2. It allows you to purchase every vendor purchasable mount in the game from one vendor. This would be very useful for players who didn´t play in Vanilla or BC. Without add-ons, it is sometimes a pain to track them all down.

3. The new gold-purchasable mounts (like the goats from MoP) are only found on these vendors, which makes you either do this specialization or else go to someone else´s garrison who has to get the new mounts.

I think it is almost impossible for Blizzard to do any type of trade-in system. People would quickly find the fastest ones to farm. I think you guys are over-reaching on their use of the word ´trader´.