Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

So is WoD going to "merge" with Outland one day?

This is pure speculation, just a feeling that I have with each piece of information that we get from WoD game. So this is an idea and I would like to see what you guys think of this possible scenario :

our Draenor, known as Outlands, is a ruined planet torn-apart by what Ner'zhul did.(or was it Gul'dan?) the remnants of the Arakkoa civilization are a but a shadow of what their former race was. The Draenei were nearly exterminated and many of them turned fell to demonic corruption, whom we call the broken and the lost ones. The Ogre kingdom is also gone.

The world itself is nearly destroyed. Shadowmoon Valley and Hellfire Peninsula are nothing compared to their origional forms, they're corrupted wastelands. Netherstorm consists of shattered pieces of land and is nearly uninhabitable.

On the other hand we have Draenor, which is like our Azeroth. it's beautiful, filled with life and civilization. Many are going to fall in love with it the minute they set their foot there. They're really putting alot of effort into WoD, and it's a shame to see it gone lorewise after WoD.

The question is, what do you think is gonna happen to Draenor once WoD is over? is it going to disappear? is it going to be closed off and remain isolated? or is it going to merge with our timeline's Draenor? meaning that lore-wise the Bronze Dragonflights are going to cast some type of "big-ass magic" spell and mend our Draenor using the Draenor that Garrosh creates? but since we kill many important warlords in the new Draenor many important Orc characters are going to stay dead even when it merges.

If i'm correct the draenor we're visiting is on an alternate timeline so nothing we do affects the current world. Things from that timeline can however also come through into current azeroth via the new dark portal, and they would then be able to affect our timeline. Nothing will happen; I imagine the bronze dragonflight will keep the alternate timeline draenor in a timeless state like the timeless isle after the expansion, so that no progression is required on draenor after the expansion..

But to sum it up, nothing will happen or merge together and they're on different timelines, and are only linked by the portal to and from.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kelnoctis View Post
    If i'm correct the draenor we're visiting is on an alternate timeline so nothing we do affects the current world. Things from that timeline can however also come through into current azeroth via the new dark portal, and they would then be able to affect our timeline. Nothing will happen; I imagine the bronze dragonflight will keep the alternate timeline draenor in a timeless state like the timeless isle after the expansion, so that no progression is required on draenor after the expansion..

But to sum it up, nothing will happen or merge together and they're on different timelines, and are only linked by the portal to and from.
    yes but if I understood it correctly, Garrosh is sent back into Draenor when the Orcs were untouched by the demonic corruption the uses then hourglass Kairoz gave to him to create a new version of that Draenor. thus creating the B timeline, if that's the case then this Draenor is considered something un-natural by the Bronze Dragonflight. meaning that they have to either destroy it, isolate it, or merge it.

I'm assuming they will keep Draenor around and probably expand upon it with future expansions. Once the Iron Horde conflict is over the horde and alliance will come in and expand. eventually expanding their influence into other continents.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    I'm assuming they will keep Draenor around and probably expand upon it with future expansions. Once the Iron Horde conflict is over the horde and alliance will come in and expand. eventually expanding their influence into other continents.
    besides, the new version of Draenor is a planet, a globe. unlike the old Draenor which looked more like an asteroid floating in the space. it is sorrounded by bodies of water. which means just like Azeroth there WILL be uncharted continents, it has alot more potential than Outland.

Draenor and Outland will both co-exist.
    We still need Outland as a place to level 60-70 besides some of its raids like Black Temple and Tempest Keep are still very popular.
    I would just be a shame if that would all get removed, Outland and Draenor is different from the Old world update of Cata.

We'll have both because they are alternate timelines and there's no need or reason to remove one or the other.

Deleted
    It's going to be just as outland. In lore it'll probably be sealed away like most alternative timelines / timeways.

In game, it'll be just like outland, some piece of land somewhere, reachable by a portal where no one ever goes again.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bronze dragonflight don't do shit anymore. As Nozdormu said, shit like this is for the lesser races to deal with.

Part of me wonders if this WoD timeline is way to rewrite/merge the original Warcraft timeline so its a bit cleaner. A version of Warcraft where the Orcs are a bit more noble and less evil.

Either way we have an Outlands that's really old and outdated. BC came out 7 years ago and by the end of WoD you can expect that content to be close to 9 years old. They sold us on the 1-60 Cata rework on the idea that the original content was too old and the content was only ~6 years old then.

I could definitely see Blizzard doing something with the original Outlands here in the future.

Just like the events of all the other expansions, once WoD is over, its over.
    Check out my expansion concept, World of Warcraft: Whispers of Madness
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Brittle Bones now has a 50% chance to turn the target into a purple-wearing supervillain.

10+ Year Old Account
    After reading your post (OP) I remembered an old game i used to play that had the "normal" world and an altered version of it, a "bizarro" world of sorts, and we had to hop back and forth between the two to complete the story.

That could be a fun thing further along this expansion's cycle.

EDIT: I remembered some examples that I played before which used something similar to this:
    Legend of Zelda - Oracle of Ages/Seasons (GameBoy Color)
    Digimon World 2003 (PS1)
    Last edited by Azgraal; 2014-04-12 at 02:02 PM.

No, they wont get rid of old Draenor. Too much recipies and leveling and items to throw away.

Lore wise? I wonder if the outland citizens would mass migrate to the new one. I sure as hell would :P

Deleted
    Even if WoD Draenor is transported to our timeline, it doesn't affect the grand scheme of things, because Outland is on the Twisting Nether.

My understanding is that Outlands is no longer acessible (in lore) once we can reach Draenor. So Draenor is likely to take its place and Outlands will probably take a backseat for a while.

outland is in the twisted nether.
    Draenor will be were outland was when it was draenor.

i guess
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

They probably won't merge, as they are alternate timelines (despite how the B timeline started).

Time travel is usually a strange topic as none of it truly makes sense and easily confuses people in the end anyway. In WoW, they can't keep their story straight as far as what happens. IT's stated that going back and changing something doesn't change our future, but makes a different timeline altogether. In lore, the War of the Ancients went very differently at first, then Rhonin, Krasus, and Brox went back and a few things got messed up (blue dragonflight was saved by Krasus, originally it was doomed, etc) but that didn't create an alternate timeline. We go to the Well of Eternity to get the past version of the Demon Soul to defeat Deathwing, yet that doesn't screw up the future, nor does it create an alternate timeline. The End Time is an alternate timeline where the Hour of Twilight had happened - but it was created by Murozond in replacement of the "true end time" where things would be even worse, according to him.

Garrosh may be creating an alternate timeline, or it may just be an already existing timeline that won't screw up future Outland. It was stated several times, however, that this is an alternate timeline and that it won't have any effect on present Outland - not that we'll be revisiting that anytime soon anyway. I've heard several theories, but Blizzard seems to backtrack on what time travel is in Warcraft lore anyway.

The number of Nozdormus in the time-space continuum is also speculated. Previously, it was always hinted that there was only one Nozdormu across all time and space. The inclusion of Murozond says otherwise. Nozdormu was lost in the timeways a few times, and eventually found by mortal heroes, and there was always one Nozdormu lost in several alternate realities, instead of several.

EDIT: Besides that, completely alternate timelines exist anyway. In the Thrall book, he visits a timeline where he had died as an infant, and many things are different. In that timeline, Krasus was the leader of the Kirin Tor, and Blackmoore became much more evil in the end. It's not completely strange that WoD is an alternate timeline altogether, and not just a new one created by Garrosh/Kairoz.
    Last edited by Destinas; 2014-04-12 at 04:54 PM.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Blizzard could go several different directions with this depending on what they do for future expansions. It is almost inevitable that for them to do more continent style expansions we would continue to explore Draenor.

Right now it is a timeline from the past connected to present day Azeroth. Outside of a Cata style revamp there is not much room on Azeroth for anymore leveling end game zones. (Short of very heavy phasing).

I would not be surprised to see us playing a stop gap against the AU Burning Legion, or something happens to pull Draenor into the current timeline. Not saying its going to happen, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. Given that Draenor feels like a HUGE lore reset.
    Patience is a virtue. I never claimed to be virtuous.

Deleted
    No.

Lorewise? No. But lorewise it would probably be unreachable, just like the Lich King (Arthas version) is dead, but you still can kill him in ICC, because time is frozen in game.

They are really in two different planes of existence, and even though Draenor is now linked to our time line, they are still two very different places, and now with Garrosh's interference, they may very well share two very different outcomes. I don't see any point to them ever merging the two, they would once again have to revamp the leveling experience for those new zones prior to WoLK. While that might not be the worst thing to ever happen, it would take a lot of work, work that would be otherwise spent on new content.