Thread: Low FPS?

Low FPS?

I remember RIFT doing quite poorly in the optimization department when it was new, but I've since upgraded my machine a couple of times and it's getting ridiculous:

E3-1230v3, R9280X, 16GB RAM and barely 40 FPS on medium settings just idling in Sanctum (no other players, no fancy effects on screen).

Surely I must be doing something wrong? What's the magic slider I need to adjust?

Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    I remember RIFT doing quite poorly in the optimization department when it was new, but I've since upgraded my machine a couple of times and it's getting ridiculous:

E3-1230v3, R9280X, 16GB RAM and barely 40 FPS on medium settings just idling in Sanctum (no other players, no fancy effects on screen).

Surely I must be doing something wrong? What's the magic slider I need to adjust?
    Turning off shadows and cape effects can help. Main factor is though, game is simply not optimized well and does not use multi-cores well. It's not you.

10+ Year Old Account

E3-1230v3
    Isn't that an Intel Xeon server CPU? not sure can you or are you willing to overclock it but something like an i5-3570k or i7 would be more suitable for Games, obviously if you don't use the PC exclusively for gaming, then not really.

I don't think the E3-1230v3 has an IGP either (Integrated Graphics Processor), if you can push that sucker up in speed, i run an i5-3570k at 4.4Ghz and i can run around with 90-110 FPS and only drop to 30-45 on World bosses with 160+ players wailing on him.

Trick is to get as much grunt out of the single core as possible seeing as games don't take advantage of a server CPU's hyper-threading

Something you might want to play with is the anti-aliasing option. That's my biggest frame eater, bar none. So I play with everything on max except the anti-aliasing, I leave it off, and I'm getting 70+ frames in general. World boss tends to drop me down to 30-40 with a couple of raid groups smacking him around.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming you don't mind jagged edges.

Quote Originally Posted by nekai View Post
    Something you might want to play with is the anti-aliasing option.
    I find full on anti-aliasing eats my framerate, but the 'edge-smoothing' option hardly affects my framerate at all while still looking pretty nice.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gonterf View Post
    I find full on anti-aliasing eats my framerate, but the 'edge-smoothing' option hardly affects my framerate at all while still looking pretty nice.
    As is the case for me, but it makes everything blurry, and the images aren't as sharp, so I have sharp images and sharp edges, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Isn't that an Intel Xeon server CPU? not sure can you or are you willing to overclock it but something like an i5-3570k or i7 would be more suitable for Games, obviously if you don't use the PC exclusively for gaming, then not really.

I don't think the E3-1230v3 has an IGP either (Integrated Graphics Processor), if you can push that sucker up in speed, i run an i5-3570k at 4.4Ghz and i can run around with 90-110 FPS and only drop to 30-45 on World bosses with 160+ players wailing on him.

Trick is to get as much grunt out of the single core as possible seeing as games don't take advantage of a server CPU's hyper-threading
    The Xeon is an i7 without the integrated graphics and there shouldn't be any games that are limited by it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do find it weird how I get better performance in GW2 or WoW than I do in Rift, but I can still get by on high settings with a little lag in busy area's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I do find it weird how I get better performance in GW2 or WoW than I do in Rift, but I can still get by on high settings with a little lag in busy area's.
    I know WoW supports up to 4 CPU cores, and I believe GW2 does as well. Rift however, only really uses a single CPU core. I haven't the foggiest clue why it still doesn't allow for multi-core support 3 years into the games life cycle. I can only imagine it's one of those, "There's something strange in the games coding/engine that makes some seemingly simple task monumentally difficult, or even impossible.", because if it's anything else, then I may drive out to Redwood City and punch Daglar and/or Hartsman in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I know WoW supports up to 4 CPU cores, and I believe GW2 does as well. Rift however, only really uses a single CPU core. I haven't the foggiest clue why it still doesn't allow for multi-core support 3 years into the games life cycle. I can only imagine it's one of those, "There's something strange in the games coding/engine that makes some seemingly simple task monumentally difficult, or even impossible.", because if it's anything else, then I may drive out to Redwood City and punch Daglar and/or Hartsman in the face.
    I won't be the one to stand up and defend Rift's performance, but I will say that one of the big differences between Rift and the other two games is that Rift uses a licensed engine. As I understand it, the big holdup keeping Rift from getting real multi-core support is that there's no-one at Trion who knows the engine well enough to re-write the relevant parts, where both ArenaNet and Blizzard had the capital to build good engines from the start.

The irony is that Carbine managed to pull off building a phenomenal engine from scratch for Wildstar (which runs night and day better than Rift), even though it was their first production. Read into that however you want
    Last edited by gonterf; 2014-04-19 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonterf View Post
    I won't be the one to stand up and defend Rift's performance, but I will say that one of the big differences between Rift and the other two games is that Rift uses a licensed engine. As I understand it, the big holdup keeping Rift from getting real multi-core support is that there's no-one at Trion who knows the engine well enough to re-write the relevant parts, where both ArenaNet and Blizzard had the capital to build good engines from the start.

The irony is that Carbine managed to pull off building a phenomenal engine from scratch for Wildstar (which runs night and day better than Rift), even though it was their first production. Read into that however you want
    They've said multiple times that their version of the Gambryo engine barely resembles the initial version they licensed, as they've made significant changes to it over time. Not to mention that when you license and engine, it comes with support from the creators, meaning that Gamebryo and provide support in helping them include multi-core support if they were asked (assuming it's a standard contract). And I know the engine itself has the capability, WAR allowed for multi-core support, so there's no reason Rifts engine should be incapable : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift optimization isn't just bad, it's wonky. I get better FPS in high settings than I do in medium.

I would suggest bumping some stuff up in your graphics options that you would normally turn off for more FPS.

Worth a shot, works for me. It could have something to do with shadows.. I know in a certain raid encounter in WoW if you turned your shadows to max you would get decent FPS, but on low settings you would basically be taken out of the fight.

I just don't understand it.

Nothing you can do mate, the engine performance is abysmal and FPS isnt the biggest issue even, its the netcode the lag from objects poping in so so abruptly.
    FYI ive an enthusiast tier type PC - my specs
    i7-4820k oced 4.7
    x2 780GTX (only running one with rift since SLi makes 0 difference)
    16gb quad channel CL9 2400
    superflower 1000w
    samsung 840evo SSD for system and Rift

and all that watercooled and inside a 300+euro LianLi fulltower case ive since 2011

Main SL city - a sluggish 35-40fps, and i say sluggish because every time I make a run from one side of the city to the other I get on average 12-13 minimum (yes ive counted them) "stutter moments" where you feel the entire game literally wants to make your PC cry. It happens in open world but not that often - I have to admit. FPS in raids, PBB clear last week for example - an average framerate of 35-40 again (there's a FPS pattern here, and it happens where you're around other people always) dipping bellow 30 and stuttering on occasion such as on the fire attack from on of the Abominus minibosses etc .
    As for the netcode, well all you need do is find a place where your GPU maxes out, like a dimension with nothing but a dummy placed, check you FPS shooting up to well above 100 since theres literally - almost - nothing to render, then target the dummy and watch you FPS plummet, it will depend on the system, but on mine it goes from 130ish down to 75.

In contrast i logged on Wildstar beta this weekend and ran through the entire main city staying easily well above 60 while not getting one single "lag" moment like those you get every 10-15 seconds in rift if you dare use a mount and start moving.

ps: maybe my next PC sometime in 2016 or 2017 will manage to get close to 60fps without lagging like crazy on anything, wouldnt hold my breath, smooth experience and rift dont gel together well
    Last edited by Rollerb; 2014-04-28 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added SSD