Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Well, when you go that far, I suppose you'll eventually just pick them off, one after one (although couldn't you just complete Science Victory two times over in that time?). I play with my dad mostly, and he never wants to play a game that far because after taking just a few civs you've usually won the game against AI opponents. AI can always use tuning, and I love 1UPT, but it's not perfect yet, and the biggest issue is that the AI is just so bad at combat and moving units across water. I don't know if it will be better in BE (although they said something about improving the AI yes?), but in Civ VI it hopefully will be.
    Typical strategy game problem, once you got past mid game you can dominate in most of these games. In Civ 5 the end game on deity is not much different from lower difficulty settings. I guess the passive bonuses while changing the early game dramatically don't really impact the game as much by then. I believe the AI is more or less the same, it's just that they get more ressources to spend.

And in Civ 5 that means that usually you can choose how you want to win. Your ressources will usually suffice for multiple ways.
    Diplomatic Victory is almost always a possibility (unless you have austria/venice in game). They never go all out to buy them up before a vote. I once had venice with 40k gold needing only 6 votes to win. He could have easily bought them. Its usually the safest way out of most games, its literally a gather about 20k gold and just buy the victory.

Cultural victory is not that hard to achieve. The problem is early tourism does nothing. You can go from 0 to 1000 tourism in a few rounds without ever having to do anything cultural before. Its actually better to delay the great musicians until you have the internet then pump out musicians and culture bomb them.

Science is ok, but can actually end up in a race. Nothing that can't be solved by 1-2 nukes on the capital city.

Domination is an endless grind of moving armies and waiting for happines to recover. The AI can be easily beaten by then.

Thats one of the biggest flaws in the game. The different win conditions are too close together. I usually find myself just taking the cheap way out and buy a diplomatic victory, since I know I would win every other victory in a few rounds anyway.

Another point about 22 civs, that's 10 more civs than a huge map is designed for, isn't that, I don't know, crowded as hell?
    Its ok, but you pretty much have to rush 2-3 civs in the first 100 rounds. Otherwise your neighbors will declare war for space reasons at about medival times when they are the strongest in comparison to the players. The real pain of 22 civs comes from the engine, the load times in the later turns get atrocious.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2014-04-18 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Thats one of the biggest flaws in the game. The different win conditions are too close together. I usually find myself just taking the cheap way out and buy a diplomatic victory, since I know I would win every other victory in a few rounds anyway.
    Yeah, when you dominate you usually dominate in every aspect of the game. Multiplayer might be a bit different.

I played multiplayer in the NQ group a bit, it was really fun to try, but the others were too experienced for me, and quick time + simultaneous turns killed it for me. Playing with 6-8 people you know on standard time would be the most fun imo, but it can be hard to arrange that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    Aaaand I just bought Age of Wonders 3 :/

Fall 2014? That's just a few months and we haven't seen ingame footage yet ... hm ... I just hope this game won't need two addons to become a "true" civ game.

The game's still having features added to it - still pre-alpha - but the quality assurance teams are already playing multiplayer matches.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

I havent like a Civ game since Civ2 back in the day but this really interests me.

God i hope it is not always online, has anybody asked them about this?

Quote Originally Posted by sethman75 View Post
    I havent like a Civ game since Civ2 back in the day but this really interests me.

God i hope it is not always online, has anybody asked them about this?
    AFAIK nobody asked but I am 100% sure it will be like always. They would have said so if it would be any other way.
    Civ games are not really the typical multiplayer game. A game of civ usually takes to long to be played in one multiplayer session.

And if you mean always on as in Ubisoft/EA-shit-thats-just-always-on-to-screw-over-honest-buyers, firaxis used steam to activate almost all their games but you dont have to be online to actually play.

yeah, so... old thread but...

i totally just nerdgasmed when i started up steam and saw they were taking pre-orders for Beyond Earth.

Coming out in October... although... like most games lately, even if I know I will enjoy it, its hard to justify paying full price when you can simply wait a few months and get it 50-75% off.

There's one about the affinities too, but the sound is out of sync, which makes it super annoying to watch:

Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-09-06 at 09:49 AM.

Deleted
    All aboard the hype train, less than 24h to release.

A map showing release times http://i.imgur.com/hLhoeWm.jpg

Review embargo seems to have been lifted. This game is racking in the high scores. I'm seriously tempted now.

Deleted

Deleted
    Only ~8h left

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/dk/e...-beyond-earth/

25% off. This won't end well for me. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

That's a pretty decent price.

TB's video is up, going to watch it later and see whether I'll purchase it.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

not having money to buy the game life is suffering .

guess ill have to "borrow" it untill i have the money
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

I just bought it from Kinguin for 36,89 EUR, damnit! Still cheaper than directly form Steam though

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    That's a pretty decent price.

TB's video is up, going to watch it later and see whether I'll purchase it.

[video=youtube;IydX8R2xxe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IydX8R2xxe4[video]
    "I would say it's a solid start" is what he says at the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Typical strategy game problem, once you got past mid game you can dominate in most of these games. In Civ 5 the end game on deity is not much different from lower difficulty settings. I guess the passive bonuses while changing the early game dramatically don't really impact the game as much by then. I believe the AI is more or less the same, it's just that they get more ressources to spend.
    It wasn't an issue in Civ 4 imho (or maybe I just didn't play it at Deity enough), but without the 1-unit-per-tile concept, a computer could steamroll their early game resource and production advantage into stacks of doom later on. Those stacks still had intelligent counters (e.g. nukes and so on), but they were a lot harder to counter than militaries in Civ 5 due to 1-unit-per-tile game change.

Whereas in Civ 5, game difficulty lasts only as long as it takes for humans to build 3 tile range bombardment units (whether its upgraded xbows, longbowmen or artillery). Once that is set up, you can break waves upon waves of enemy units on a a smartly positioned defensive unit with a healer/scout next to it, and 2-3 long range artillery. If you have a great general bastion there, that chokepoint will be un-takeable. AI simply cannot move their units around properly to dislodge something like that.