Reformated - Sluggish Internet

Never reformatted a computer myself before. I'm aware I will have to re-install drivers that weren't originally on my computer at the time of purchase.

Currently I'm in the process of installing the driver for my graphics card, and that's all I need believe.

The download however, is taking quite a long time. My download time is dipping down to 20 minutes (currently 103/220MB done) and spiking up to 2 hours.

When the reformat was done, I figured I wouldn't be able to connect to the internet but I was able to without doing anything.

Do I need to install/update anything? Any reason my internet is slow?

Doing a speed test gave me about 1.1 mb/s download.

What did you get on Speedtest before formatting?

I'd just run Windows Update (Assuming that you installed Windows) and let it update until there are no more updates, and after that starting to get drivers.

You'll mostly likely need more than just drivers for your gfx btw.

Might be far fetch, but maybe your MB drivers got removed or something? When I got a new MB ( and cpu and ram ) I also reformatted my entire C drive ( to remove old windows versions and clean it up etc ) I was unable to connect to the internet at all without them installed, but maybe for you it's making it slower? Just a suggestion, but I have no idea if it would work or anything

Quote Originally Posted by qweez View Post
    What did you get on Speedtest before formatting?

I'd just run Windows Update (Assuming that you installed Windows) and let it update until there are no more updates, and after that starting to get drivers.

You'll mostly likely need more than just drivers for your gfx btw.
    What else do I need other than drivers for my card?

Also, I just remembered my updates are installing, so that may be where my speed is going.

I think I got like 8-10 mbps? Not really sure.
    Last edited by Velky; 2014-04-12 at 09:46 PM.

Chipset drivers, LAN Drivers, SATA drivers, USB 3.0 drivers (if your motherboard supports USB3.0)

List your Motherboard and ill see what i can find for you.

Sluggish download speeds could also be a factor of where the server is located that you are downloading from. Only download from manufacturer websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheltleth View Post
    Chipset drivers, LAN Drivers, SATA drivers, USB 3.0 drivers (if your motherboard supports USB3.0)

List your Motherboard and ill see what i can find for you.

Sluggish download speeds could also be a factor of where the server is located that you are downloading from. Only download from manufacturer websites.
    Where do I find out what my motherboard is?

Quote Originally Posted by Velky View Post
    Where do I find out what my motherboard is?
    Download Speccy. It should tell you what motherboard you have.

Or if you can provide us with the brand of computer you have and the model, that would work as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sheltleth View Post
    download speccy. It should tell you what motherboard you have.

Or if you can provide us with the brand of computer you have and the model, that would work as well.
    pegatron corporation violet (cpu 1)

Manufacturer PEGATRON CORPORATION
    Model VIOLET (CPU 1)
    Chipset Vendor NVIDIA
    Chipset Model nForce 720a
    Chipset Revision A2
    Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA
    Southbridge Model nForce 720a MCP
    Southbridge Revision A2

I have never even heard of that company...

HP Computer motherboard if I am not mistaken.
    Last edited by SoulForge; 2014-04-13 at 05:40 AM.

Haha. It's an HP computer, about 6-7 years old.

Yesterday I took several steps forward to getting back on the right track, then...

My NVidia installation said there was an error, so I decided to remove the program and reinstall it. What I didn't know was the program I uninstalled was my ethernet connection, so then I was royally screwed because I don't have the software to install it.

Ended up having to do several restores to get back to a point where I could use the internet. Now I have to do a bunch of windows updates and install AVG again.

Having another issue now.

I'm trying to install D3 but I can't because I need to update my system to Service Pack 2 for Windows. When I go to Windows Update it is there to install but it never actually completes, it's failed about 5 times now.

Download the standalone outside of Windows update and try and install it that way.