Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Overrated: Skyrim - I'm a diehard elder scrolls fan, but skyrim was horrible before DLC and mods.
    Underrated: Kingdoms of Amalur - same reasons as OP
    Underrated: Elder scrolls online - Best elder scrolls game thus far, sadly got a lot of hate from the pauper community for having a subscription.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    The most overrated games:
    GTA Series: Really? Shooting cops and stealing from people and destroying property is supposed to be fun and entertaining?
    You must be great fun at parties.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Underrated:

Final Fantasy 9 man. The game seems to get lost in the large shadow FFX cast, or ignored because FF8 wasn't the greatest, and people keep fanboying over how "amazing" FF7 is. Personally, after FFX, FF9 is my favorite Final Fantasy game. It has fantastic characters, a great leveling system, classic (Which is good) combat, ect. I don't know why a lot of FF fans just don't give it the credit it deserves.
    Actually FFIX has the highest ratings in most reviews I've seen of all FF games. And I agree with them, FFIX is really really great, by far my favorite FF game.

OT:

Overrated:

WoW - It's a cool game, it's really good but not as good as many people say.

FFVII - It was good but seriously there are so many FF games that are better than this like IV, V, VI and IX and most people just ignore them because of VII.

Overrated:

GTA. Never really understood what made people so crazy for it.
    Dota, LOL, HoN and soon HoS. I don't know, I could never get into it.

Underrated:

Golden Sun: Best RPG ever.
    Knights of the old Republic. Second best RPG ever.
    Advance Wars: Fun turn based game on the GBA
    Ninja Gaiden: One of the most brutal and unforgiving games I ever played but really statisfying and visually appealing for that time.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Overrated:

Final Fantasy series - I tried quite a few of them (VI-X) because some of my friends were die hard fans of the series, but never really liked them much.

Underrated:

Arcanum - many people disliked this game because of the lackluster graphics and boring, clunky combat, but for someone like myself who enjoys a good setting, story and interesting character development it was an awesome game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over rated. This one is easy. The last of us. The story was the only good part about the game. Control, AI and gameplay were all terrible and out dated.

Under? Kingdoms of Amalur. The game is amazing yet almost nobody has played it.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Overrated:
    Starcraft 2: HotS - I honestly think it was a bad idea of Blizzard to stretch campaigns for 3 races over 3 years. The original SC2 grabbed me somewhat but HotS did not really accomplish that at all. I quit before the last mission because I got bored to death.
    I think Starcraft 2 was created under a different philosophy than most RTS games. For example, when Warcraft 3 was released, competitive side of RTS was only-only emerging, so it had a strong focus on single player side, especially campaigns (I still consider WC3: RoC campaigns to be the best campaigns in RTS history). Starcraft 2, however, was totally focused on multiplayer, and campaigns were introduced "just because". I really enjoyed both campaigns in Starcraft 2, but they felt a bit out of place, compared to Starcraft 1, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 2...

However, for me, Starcraft 2 is the greatest RTS of all time (Warcraft 3 and Age of Empires 2 come very close). I don't really care about competitive multiplayer (ladder), but custom maps in SC2 are awesome, so many different kinds of games - I have been playing it for 1.5 years every day and still do not get bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    Underrated:

Knights of the old Republic. Second best RPG ever.
    Hmm, I am curious: why do you consider it underrated? I bought it in 2004 as my first Bioware RPG, and I didn't like RPGs much then - this game was, pretty much, what made me love this genre. It was incredibly received: reviewers all rated it as the best game since Baldur's Gate 2, Star Wars fans loved something new and innovative in their series, it had incredible graphics for its time... It was really rated amazing, and that's why I bought it in a huge hype.

I also consider it to be one of the best RPGs ever. It just isn't really fit for "underrated" status since it was rated very high at the release. Even now:
    Gamespot - 9.3/10
    IGN - 9/10
    Metacritic - 93/100

I would say KotoR 2 was overrated: the same as Neverwinter Nights 2, a few incomplete parts (they really had to release it faster than they should have) - and people unanimously claim it to be a failure. I adored the game for its plot and characters, even though I played it much later than it was released, in 2007, I think. With the Restoration Mod, I like this game even better than KotoR 1.
    Last edited by May90; 2014-04-14 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post

Most underrated would be Condemned: Criminal Origins. The mechanics may be meh, but that game will scare the shit out of you.
    Really? I've played it, it was good. But not that good.

I'd say, easily, the most underrated game was "Too Human".

Quote Originally Posted by Borfl View Post
    Hard singleplayer games. You're joking, right?
    Are you saying that they don't exist or that the hard games are well known? Or that coping with other people's mental retardation in multiplayer games makes them hard?
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

underrated - chrono cross

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuvna View Post
    Overrated

The Witcher
    Dude, that really rustled my jimmies...until i realised wth cant blame someone for bad taste!

Deleted
    Overrated: Halo series. The first game was very good, the second still a good game, but from that on the only good thing was the marketing.

Underrated: God Hand. Still don't know why it sold so badly.
    Nier. S-E made a mess of the publishing, changing main character in the western world for no good reason and the graphics where terrible, but a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Diablo 3. For exactly the same reasons Diablo 2 is overrated - people judge this game too harshly. Yes it has problems, and yes it had even worse ones on launch. But its still a really good game that I pumped far too many hours into.
    Diablo 3 at launch deserved a harsh judgement. It wasn't until 2.0 that the game actually became fun, at least IMO. Before it was a horrid slog through forced difficulty ramp-up to level so you could...farm gold to buy gear on the AH. Or skip straight to the RMAH, which is what Blizzard was banking on. And it failed. Miserably. Even the Paragon system failed to bring people back. They finally owned up to their mistakes, shut down the AH, started giving you the kind of droprates you should have had all along and made things properly scale to your level with selectable difficulty for greater rewards to balance increased challenge.

Deleted
    Most overrated games:
    EA Origin Plague monster uber bribe edition reviews
    Path of Exile - path of meh
    Deus Ex - it's just plain blant boring game
    Mass effect - i don't even...
    Fallout - more like fall out to bed being bored to sleep
    Hearthstone - there are tons of game mod maps in blizz games already, and some are even better (barfight)
    Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls - after much improvement, after finally being fun true diablo game where you kill to get loot and not play auction house manager online, people forget that lot of "new" feature are just stuff being brought back from alpha/beta and more to come in next expansion where your wallets will get TRUE diablo 3 that players deserved from beginning and not this new fashion of splitting complete games into DLC bullshit because it seems more affordable (profitable for companies)
    Skyrim
    Every old nostalgia infested game you remember
    Godus even in alpha, it have already failed backers (including me)

Underrated:
    Solitaire - most popular, most played, most known game ever made
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 - that is probably the only simulator worth playing amongst the horde of crappy/broken "simulator" games, i think farming simulator with multiplayer is really good one too but i haven't tried it.
    some old classic mac games: jetpack something(i forgot), escape velocity,ares, even macs have their fun games
    Brutal legend - if you're into metal and RPGs then this is your thing!
    Harbinger - you probably never even heard of this game
    Last edited by mmocda5509483c; 2014-04-14 at 01:08 PM.

Deleted
    Most overrated:

Every major IP from EA, Activision, Blizzard, Square Enix, Nintendo etc.

Most underrated:

Every small independent-, anime-, niche-, Steam-sale-game no-one-ever-heard-about-and-gave-a-f***

SCNR ;-)
    Last edited by mmoc5461ee9f4c; 2014-04-14 at 12:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Overrated:

League of Legends

The gameplay is really nothing innovative. It's just a clone of another game. I have never been a fan of games that thrive on micro-transactions. Sure, you don't need to buy the champions but it will take you a long time to unlock them all. Another downside is the community. By far the most toxic and rudest players I have ever met. The point of playing a game is to enjoy yourself and have fun, not having to hear that you are fucking retarded for not doing x or y etc.

Dead Space

Another game that was over hyped and it disappointed. It is almost comical really. It's not that difficult, even on the hardest setting. The best it has to offer is a few jump scenes and that's it.

Diablo 3

I am normally a fan of Blizzards work but diablo came up pretty short. It has made great improvements but it lost a lot of credibility due to the server issues at launch, which still consist today though not nearly as bad. The expansion to it has made the game more enjoyable but it loses its appeal after grinding dungeons over and over again.

Underrated:

Banjo Kazooie

Quite honestly one of my all time favorite video games. The gameplay was simplistic but highly enjoyable. The series was one that I could play over and over and never get bored of it. Being able to transform into random creatures or machines was so cool at the time. I would love to see more from them but sadly that will never happen.

Nox

It was a pretty fun rpg at the time. It had wonderful storylines to it. It's multiplayer was fun. You could play ctf or deathmatch or you could go for campaign. It had three unique classes that were all equally engaging. I still play it from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Overrated:

Final Fantasy VII - had a decent and well-written story with good characters, was ok to play. That's it. Nowhere near the 'OMFG SEPHIROTH/AERIS/CLOUD!!1!1!" mystique that it's undying legions of wanna-be video game hipsters have bestowed upon it over the last sixteen years.

Underrated:

Gonna go with Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Yes it's publishers released it in some sort of weird alpha/pre-beta stage. Yet despite that, it remains one of the grittiest / most atmospheric / most engaging RPG's I've ever played.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerean View Post
    Overrated:

Final Fantasy VII - had a decent and well-written story with good characters, was ok to play. That's it. Nowhere near the 'OMFG SEPHIROTH/AERIS/CLOUD!!1!1!" mystique that it's undying legions of wanna-be video game hipsters have bestowed upon it over the last sixteen years.

Underrated:

Gonna go with Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Yes it's publishers released it in some sort of weird alpha/pre-beta stage. Yet despite that, it remains one of the grittiest / most atmospheric / most engaging RPG's I've ever played.
    god damn...thanks for reminding me that i need to play bloodlines again

Only one example. Of an Underrated game.

The Neverhood.

Looking for a working online signature generator .....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fauier View Post
    Deus Ex - it's just plain blant boring game
    Deus Ex? The original? You need to be really a sort of cyberpunk/neo-renaissance fan which I among many who adore(d) that game are. But if you are not then you get bored as I get when exposed to military shooters or real-world based strategy games.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    I think Starcraft 2 was created under a different philosophy than most RTS games. For example, when Warcraft 3 was released, competitive side of RTS was only-only emerging, so it had a strong focus on single player side, especially campaigns (I still consider WC3: RoC campaigns to be the best campaigns in RTS history). Starcraft 2, however, was totally focused on multiplayer, and campaigns were introduced "just because". I really enjoyed both campaigns in Starcraft 2, but they felt a bit out of place, compared to Starcraft 1, Warcraft 3, Age of Empires 2...

However, for me, Starcraft 2 is the greatest RTS of all time (Warcraft 3 and Age of Empires 2 come very close). I don't really care about competitive multiplayer (ladder), but custom maps in SC2 are awesome, so many different kinds of games - I have been playing it for 1.5 years every day and still do not get bored.

[...]
    Hmm, quite an interesting story. I played WC3 too and loved it and the campaigns. Which was also why I held onto WoW much longer than I should have, heh.
    I played the original Starcraft + Brood War for almost four years continuously. I used to create a lot of custom maps. The way custom maps were handled originally in Starcraft 2 compared to its predecessor then was very discouraging so I forgot about it quickly. I only created one multiplayer map really and I haven't checked whether it's still there but I spent a lot time with it. I liked the SC2 original campaign, the Metzen factor aside (cliche, pathos and forgettable one-liners) it was enjoyable, even played custom maps for a while. Whether it's due to progressed age or simply the lack of options I can't really tell but I know that I once thought that Starcraft will forever be the bar of RTS and left unbeaten as in I will never play some else RTS. For a while this seemed true however I played Earth 2150 which I found en par then (which had things like night and day cycle, customizable units, air, sea, ground and underground battle), then a lot worse RTS games but ultimately I found that Starcraft 2 had to fulfill too many expectations for me to revive that old Starcraft is best RTS feeling for me. I guess these days I like to have a little grand-strategy aspect, a little bit of what Rise of Nations of Rise of Legends did, a little bit bigger scale but with the old RTS theme in smaller scale like in SoaSE. But that's a completely different school of RTS thought however something which branched off in the industry after Starcraft and classics like C&C.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2014-04-14 at 01:15 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!